Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading several posts I have decided to move away from the plug and play kits like some of the Hog tunes or one's that HillCounty offers...

I see that the soundstream pn4520 amp is continually mentioned here and I have researched it on the soundstream site...

My plan right now is to go with

Soundstream PN4.520
&
JM ROKKER 7.25 with the tweet and mid grill (open to other suggestions)

I have yet to ever pull the fairing apart but I assume that the HK head unit does NOT have RCA outs?

therfore you would use the speaker out leads from the HK to the Hi level inputs on the sound stream amp?

do you cut or just remove the wiring from the speakers to go to the Hi lev inputs or is there an adapter that I have not seen yet...

It looks like the hi level inputs on the soundstream has two 5pin adapters LF/R/F L/R R/R and center ground etc...
Does the amp come with those pigtails I didnt see it listed or shown?

I plan on running the pn4.520 bridged two channel for now... I dont see adding lid speakers but you never know, so the four channel amp would be nice if I ever did

I'm pretty good at wireing and fabricating so I dont plan on buying a ready made mounts or anything else that I cant make myself but is there anything else that I should be purchasing for this basic system?

thanks in advace for any advice or hints from those of you that have used this

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Yes , you will cut the HK's speaker wires( out) and run them into the amps high level input.
I dont own the Sound stream , but I have never bought a new amp that didn't come with all the pigtails needed for hook up.
Take your time and solder and heat shrink all wire connections and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
after reading several posts I have decided to move away from the plug and play kits like some of the Hog tunes or one's that HillCounty offers...

I see that the soundstream pn4520 amp is continually mentioned here and I have researched it on the soundstream site...

Soundstream PN4.520
&

I have yet to ever pull the fairing apart but I assume that the HK head unit does NOT have RCA outs?

therfore you would use the speaker out leads from the HK to the Hi level inputs on the sound stream amp?

do you cut or just remove the wiring from the speakers to go to the Hi lev inputs or is there an adapter that I have not seen yet...

It looks like the hi level inputs on the soundstream has two 5pin adapters LF/R/F L/R R/R and center ground etc...

I plan on running the pn4.520 bridged two channel for now... I dont see adding lid speakers but you never know, so the four channel amp would be nice if I ever did

I'm pretty good at wireing and fabricating so I dont plan on buying a ready made mounts or anything else that I cant make myself but is there anything else that I should be purchasing for this basic system?

I just installed a pn4.520, and yes it comes with the wires to wire the high level inputs.
I would caution you that this amp is large, so when fabricating a bracket you dont have a lot of extra room.
I had to revise my bracket twice before my outer fairing finally cleared it.
In the end , I love the sound difference! It was definitely worth it!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just installed the same amp. As was mentioned, it does come with the pigtails. I would make sure you have all wiring & connections either purchased or available at a store nearby. I used 8ga wire from the amp to the battery power & ground, and was unable to find the proper supplies at any nearby stores. I ended up buying most everything from amazon and had to wait for the mail.

I purchased my speaker & power / primary wire from a company called Knu Koncepts through Amazon... Seems to be some good quality stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIFZ3ZY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought my fuse holder & fuses from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082PBPPE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0ZW0I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should have bought ring terminals for the 8ga wire online too but managed to find something that did the trick at the local hardware store.

Just make sure you have all the supplies you need for wiring before you start. It will make things less stressful. Everything will plug into the amp - pigtails for the hi level input, and insert , set screw type connections for the power, ground, remote in/out, & speaker out. Not sure what kind of connections at the speakers you mentioned though.

Oh, I also skipped an amp mount entirely & just used adhesive velcro to stick the amp between the glove box & inner fairing - its a tight fit, but it works.

Reactions: mzierk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I also skipped an amp mount entirely & just used adhesive velcro to stick the amp between the glove box & inner fairing - its a tight fit, but it works.
thank you for the replys and information...

Fenny, does that mean the amp is out in the open and visible?
I like the idea of that for servicabilty but how does it look... and is that amp as it is a MC amp weatherproof?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fenny, does that mean the amp is out in the open and visible?
I like the idea of that for servicabilty but how does it look... and is that amp as it is a MC amp weatherproof?
The amp is still inside the fairing, I should have elaborated a bit.

There is a sort of pocket on the inside of the inner fairing on both sides - between the glove box space and the inner fairing wall. Unfortunaley, I did not take any pics, but I found this thread with a pic of what looks to be the Soundstream 2ch amp in the same location - post #7...

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=126049

I do not know how water or weather resistant the amp is but the servicability of an exposed amp would be great. I do believe that if I pop the headlights out I may be able reach the gain controls with a screwdriver. Though I haven't actually tried it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info!

thanks Fenny

I will look into that mounting option...

Malibu...I did not know about that company another good idea,

thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts

Soundstream PN4.520
&

actually it's a quite simple install. Never used any type of bracket either. Industrial strength Velcro is all you need, just wipe the surfaces down prior to sticking the Velcro in place. Once the 2 pieces of Velcro meet you better make sure it's where you want it as it will take a screwdriver to pry it apart.

As for the wiring, yes the SS amps come with white connectored pigtails, each with 5 wires that plug directly into the amp. Cut the red wire off each white connector as it's not needed for anything.

Unplug your stock speaker wires from the stock speakers, connect those wires to the input plugs on the amp

connect your amp outputs to your new speakers

run 10ga power and ground wire directly to the battery and fuse the + wire with a 25a fuse.

connect the rem in terminal on the amp to the orange/white wire with red rubber cap on it taped up to the headlamp harness about 8" back.

here is a drawing for the input plug wiring on the amp.

if you do not have the HD/stock rear speaker connector plugged into the back of the stock radio, simply purchase 4 pins from HD, part # 72381-98. You'll crimp/solder a wire to each of the pins to go to the rear inputs on the amp. The pins are labeled inside the connector on the back of the head unit. If you're as blind as I am, you'll need a magnifying glass to see the numbers but they are there.

Pin #1 - Rear Right +
Pin #2 - Rear left +
Pin #24 - Rear Right -
Pin #25 - Rear Left -

this is also shown above in the drawing

Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh and on a side note. Easy on the gains for this amp. Those J&M speakers are not going to hold up to the output power of this amp.
thanks Ultranutz

so i have been running the J&M rockkers just on the HK head with no amp for the last few days
The amp came in today and I am in the process of wireing and mounting now...I was planning on running the amp bridged two channel as I only have the two fairing speakers now

the soundstream amp digram shows a bridged two channell figure but notes 4-8 ohms for two speakers?

is this an issue with the J&M rokkers they are "2ohm" rated 217max 156 continuous
I probably should not bother running bridged with those figures shoud I

also if I bridge this amp its different than audio amps I have wired YEARS ago:rolleyes:
i'm a little confused on that bridge diagram are you familiar with the proper way to bridge that amp

thanks Highway

·
Registered
209 Posts
thanks Ultranutz

so i have been running the J&M rockkers just on the HK head with no amp for the last few days
The amp came in today and I am in the process of wireing and mounting now...I was planning on running the amp bridged two channel as I only have the two fairing speakers now
I don't recommend you do that sir. Bridged mode will tear up even the best of speakers.

the soundstream amp digram shows a bridged two channell figure but notes 4-8 ohms for two speakers?
4 ohm minimum load in bridged mode. If you bridge it on those two ohm speakers, you'll have a very short lived amplifier (and speakers)

is this an issue with the J&M rokkers they are "2ohm" rated 217max 156 continuous
I probably should not bother running bridged with those figures shoud I
running it in stereo mode is going to be tough enough on those speakers.

also if I bridge this amp its different than audio amps I have wired YEARS
ago:rolleyes:
i'm a little confused on that bridge diagram are you familiar with the proper way to bridge that amp

thanks Highway
very familiar with bridging it but again I highly recommend you simply connect your fairing speaker to the front outputs of the amp and leave the rears alone until you're ready to add more speakers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
very familiar with bridging it but again I highly recommend you simply connect your fairing speaker to the front outputs of the amp and leave the rears alone until you're ready to add more speakers.
I am taking that advice...

running the front left and right outputs only...

I'll save the rear out for more speakers down the road...

ok is there somethhing I dont know about J&M I heard nothing but good about the ROKKERS XX 7.25" not the performance series BTW

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1398771004578.jpg I know this is old hat for some but this is a pic of how and where the pn4.520 was mounted... I did make allumininium brackets to hold the amp versus Velcro...I can reach my gain adjustments via the left headlight...(removed) hope this helps anyone who is considering this...thanks for the advice and time spent with diagrams and such.
No need to bridge this amp as ultranutz said....still need to tweek gains I think

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1398771402769.jpg the brackets are held with chrome pan head screws they are barely noticeable from the seated position looking down into the inner faring...
If you use brackets be very precise in the fabrication it is very easy to tweek the inner and you would then have alignment problems... I removed all sharp edges and burrs from these as well to avoid any wire chaffing

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts