Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to post question so will put it here, We (wife and I) who ALWAYS ride 2 up are seriously considering going from our Heritage Softail Classic to the 2015 RG to do a some touring, I love the look of the bike and it's balance, handling, engine. I cant seem to find much info on the web about people riding 2 up on the RG, joined the Forum to get some real world opinions/advice on the 2 up riding question. Any advice, opinions, stories would be greatly appreciated.
We have had the Heritage only a short while and it was our first Harley, we love the Heritage and we know it wasn't designed for touring and I wouldn't dream of saying anything negative about it because it is a magic machine and SO VERY BEAUITFUL and when used within it's design parameters it is a magic ride, but now we want to venture further and further away from home and we see the need for a purpose designed machine (HARLEY OF COURSE !) david and dianne

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Howdy

Hello from Montana, USA! And welcome to the forum!:grin:

David and Dianne,
As you've said, the Heritage is a Softail platform, and not a true touring bike. My wife and I rode 2 up on my Softail but not for any distance. I still have my first one but not for two-up travel.

The Roadglide shares Harley's touring chassis and is comfortable, and since the new frame setup in 2009, is very well mannered. Do yourselves a favor and try one out. I think you will fall in love with the Roadglide, as most of us here have.
Again, welcome! come back and visit!

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
Welcome, I believe you will find the RG is a very good bike for two up riding.

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,454 Posts
Can't speak to the 15's because mine is an 11, but have heard nothing but good tings about the upgrades. The wife and I do a lot of what I consider long distance riding (nothing compared to what some people do on this forum, but more than a lot of our friends. Neither one of us are little people and we find the RGU incredibly comfortable.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome. I think you'll find the RG is a nice touring bike, sufficient power for 2 up. You can change (increase) power and torque relatively cheaply with intake, exhaust, tuner, and cams. You may want to look into the seat differences between the ultra and custom. Ultra more comfortable for the passenger. Nothing says you can't convert a custom to an ultra by buying the parts. Good luck in your search for your tourer.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
david and dianne

Well, stories...told and untold. She pretty much selected Lace (03 anni 12 yr ago to the day almost) as our next 2-up. We still will camp off a good 1/2 dozen times a year on the pave and unpaved. Reserving her for 2-up (reds2 no ride and couldn't want for a more trusted at your back) she can say it's her bike. Even stripped some from my bike:wink:, @98k later I call it one of mine. pisses some off but fun to see reaction

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
You will probably have to replace the stock toenail windshield on a 15 RG to make her happy, even add a Tour pac / queen seat and your set to cross the continent.
Welcome from Georgia, USA

·
Registered
605 Posts
You might want to wait 2 or 3 months as the new models will be coming out soon. The RG Ultra is on the list and it appears it will have water cooled heads. My wife and I have a 12 ultra and love it. The extras that you get from the ultra make for a great touring platform. We use the intercom and cb radio a lot, she loves the backrest on the tour pack.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome from the southeast US (Alabama). As others have said, the RG is great for 2-up riding. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't tour with me, but she does enjoy 1-2 hour rides. She prefers to drive (or fly) and meet me at the destination, and then ride around and enjoy the beach, the mountains, or wherever it is that we ride. On the other hand, if I didn't HAVE to drive a company vehicle for work, would go everywhere on the RG. Of course that might be bad for business because the way I want to go is not always the quickest and is certainly not the most direct.

Go for a test ride, then be prepared to trade in.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
hi, thanks to everyone for the encouraging replies, gives us the confidence we were looking for to make the leap to the RG. Next step is the test ride, let you all know how it goes, many thanks from Geelong in Victoria (Australia)
Remember on the test ride, your going to have more wind in yoyr face than your softail if it's only got the toenail shield.

·
Shark of the Month July 13
3,145 Posts
Welcome from sw Kansas.

It's the most comfortable bike that I have road on the back with my husband when I use to ride with him! We had a tour pak and the road sofa seat and I would fall asleep on the bike while we road because it was so comfortable for me. We tried several seats and that was the best one for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gee, you know I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting such a lovely group of people, seems it was a real lucky break for me to have posted on the RG forum. I wonder if the RG attracts what seems like relaxed and level headed people, or if riding the RG produces them, one for Sigmund. Kind regards to all took the time to reply to my original post. I think I am convinced about the RG now, I really enjoyed the test ride.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.