Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont know about them, But I remmeber reading somewhere that using HID with out projects is a bad idea. Like I said I dont know because I have not looked into it much, but what I read said that HID was designed for the projectors and with out them it will cause the light to be blinding to oncoming traffic. But Like I said thats just what I read in one article and I cant even find it now.

·
Super Moderator
13,333 Posts
This subject will bring a lot of opinions, lol. I've had HIDs, and bang for buck, I can't think of anything that will beat them, even the new LED bulbs are still just a little more costly. I have also heard some say the HIDs blind on coming traffic, I never had that problem, I adjusted them to avoid blinding people and never had lights flashed at me. My observation has been that HID's act more as a flood light, (bright, but not really focused), and LEDs, ie Daymakers act like spot lights, (bright and focused). Both are way better than OEM. As far as the particular kit your looking at, no info on durability, etc, I was just giving a general opinion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This subject will bring a lot of opinions, lol. I've had HIDs, and bang for buck, I can't think of anything that will beat them, even the new LED bulbs are still just a little more costly. I have also heard some say the HIDs blind on coming traffic, I never had that problem, I adjusted them to avoid blinding people and never had lights flashed at me. My observation has been that HID's act more as a flood light, (bright, but not really focused), and LEDs, ie Daymakers act like spot lights, (bright and focused). Both are way better than OEM. As far as the particular kit your looking at, no info on durability, etc, I was just giving a general opinion.
From what I have read I think that is why they say to use the Projectors with HID. There are picture of the light uotput with a projector VS with out. But I personally have never seen the output of HIDs either way.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Bought my HID's in a Roadglide .org group buy LLCoolJay organized from California. I love the way they light up reflective signs and animal eyes! Their cool white light has not been a problem for oncoming traffic. Their cost was a fraction of daymakers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got my FLTRX with HIDs already istalled. I like the vision and they don't seem to bother others, but I can hear them through the radio. Think I am going to swap to LED's shortly. I go to work at 4am, so it is dark almost all year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the group buy HID's. what is this reflector/projector being talked about. Is it a spate part that one must purchase?

Sorry I am so ignorant, but its where I am.
thanks

·
Registered
2019 RGS 114 22x and lots of other expensive stuff
392 Posts
I used the same reflector that came with bike .Using h4 6000 bulbs never had anyone flash me for blinding them and the road and reflectors really stand out.

Guys I ride with said in the day time they are very noticeable grab your attention and that's what I want in the day time.

My buddy has a 13 and in the day his stock light is like a candle compared to Hid

·
Registered
195 Posts
Projector lenses are called that because they resemble the lenses used to focus light in a movie projector. In most instances projector lenses give superior light management, even with halogen bulbs. They can be designed to put more light it places it's needed while scattering less light than even multi element reflectors. The cost of projectors has come way down
LEDs are supplanting projectors in high end applications now because of the low current draw and modularity. Most OEM LEDsetups are ugly as sin though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Projector lenses are called that because they resemble the lenses used to focus light in a movie projector. In most instances projector lenses give superior light management, even with halogen bulbs. They can be designed to put more light it places it's needed while scattering less light than even multi element reflectors. The cost of projectors has come way down
LEDs are supplanting projectors in high end applications now because of the low current draw and modularity. Most OEM LEDsetups are ugly as sin though.

find any to fit the Roadglide?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Amazon HID's

I bought these from Amazon
55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H4 (HB2) (9003) Bi-Xenon - 5000k
they were $75. There are two tricks to install them one is to put a switch on to shut them off when starting the motor, and two turn the bulb inside 180 degrees to get the wire to exit the top of the bulb instead of the bottom.
Be aware that there are other types of bulbs that are not shielded like these and they will blind other traffic. The bulbs you show appear to be unshielded. These from Amazon don't have that problem. I have other posts about these if you want more info. I haven't done a good side by side comparison with the DM's but I'll bet they are close and 1 tenth the cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.