Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put HID's in my bike a couple years ago. As soon as I turn them on I notice it messes up my radio station signal and actually makes my speakers quieter. Anyone else notice this? This is why I opted to buy the Daymakers at 23% off from my dealer in December.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've had the SoCal Hid's for 2 years now and no problems. Where did you mount the ballasts? I mounted mine right under the light assembly and no issues at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the SoCal Hid's for 2 years now and no problems. Where did you mount the ballasts? I mounted mine right under the light assembly and no issues at all.
I mounted them right on the inner fairing where the wiring etc already is. Maybe they're just too close to the radio? The sound / signal is fine until I switch the HID's on. Sucks because I like the power and light of the HID's. Just hated what they did to my radio.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not sure I understand. You say that everything sounds fine until you switch the HID's on...
How is it that your headlights don't come on when you turn on the ignition? What am I not getting here? You are talking about HID headlights and not accessory lights aren't you?

I mounted them right on the inner fairing where the wiring etc already is. Maybe they're just too close to the radio? The sound / signal is fine until I switch the HID's on. Sucks because I like the power and light of the HID's. Just hated what they did to my radio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. My HID'S are low beam only. So I turn on the high beam switch when the bike is off. Incase I have to move the bike real quick I'd rather not turn them on unless I'm riding. When I flip the switch to low beam they power on and mess with my radio.

·
Registered
168 Posts
No problems here and I mounted the ballasts on top of the radio. I have both the hi and low bean HID's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Still a little confused ? How can you have HID lights on low beam only ? The bulbs are part of the HID package and you can't have a non HID high beam bulb and a low beam HID all in one.
Sounds like your problem is the system or wiring for whatever you have.
I have the SoCalMoto HID package and have no issues with radio reception or any interference.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Wow, never seen that design before. Probably a design flaw in this set up. I have the SoMo Cal kit as well. One bulb with a small actuator that actually moves the bulb from high to low beam. No interference at all and 50 bucks cheaper. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This is the kit I bought to hemp explain.

http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/...71_137/bi-xenon-slim-motorcycle-hid-kit-p-227

Low beam is HID.
High beam is just that tiny bulb.
OK, I looked at that set up. I suspect the system itself is the problem.
Also, the say this system offers a slim ballast for ease of placement.
That ballast looks exactly like the ones from SoCalMoto and they fit anyplace inside the fairing.
It also appears that set up costs more then the ones many of us have.

Call the provider and ask them why you have the interference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Still a little confused ? How can you have HID lights on low beam only ? The bulbs are part of the HID package and you can't have a non HID high beam bulb and a low beam HID all in one.

Actually you can, there are three basic different configs of HID lights, Low beam HID only no high beam at all, low beam HID with a halogen bulb high beam like the one shown in the link, and true Bi Xenon has HID low and high beam. This latter config sometimes moves the bubble with the arc in it from a shielded area the gives you the cut off on the top half of the low beam to a cut out in the shield that hits the whole reflector eliminating the cut off and giving you high beam. Of course there are also about a zillion other configs on color, wattage, ballasts, controllers, shape of the base etc.
The ones I got from Amazon seem to be the best bet yet, $75 for the pair, They fit, they really light up the road without blinding on coming traffic, and don't interfere with my radio.

I did have to install a switch to turn them on and off, because if they are on when I crank the motor the voltage drops enough that intermittently one of the lights goes out and doesn't come on until you shut the bike off and restart it. The switch takes care of this problem, leave them off, start the bike and turn them on, It's worked great every time since I put in the switch.

There is one other little trick I found and that helps, the base fits in the headlight and the bulb screws in to the base. This let you keep the rubber boot, which I don't think is a good idea to toss out. The trick is to install the bulb upside down which allows the wires to exit from the top of the bulb instead of the bottom. This helps keep the wires away from the the metal fairing bracket and gives you a little more clearance behind the bulbs due to the bracket sloping away from the bulb at the top.

Just for grins here is the link to mine again.

Amazon.com: 55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H4 (HB2) (9003) Bi-Xenon - 5000k: Automotive

1 - 11 of 11 Posts