Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I participated in the HID group buy last year. quite satisified with the improvement over stock.

How much improvement would I see if I went to Daymakers, if anyone has comparison experience.

thanks.

· Registered
177 Posts
I don't have comparison experience other than looking at lumens and charts that speak of view distances. But I can tell you that I bought the Daymaker this past winter, installed it and have had some night rides already. By far the best headlamp I've ever seen in any vehicle. The high beam seems a tad useless no matter how I adjust the low beam...the high beam seems great for porcupine hunting at night. LoL!

Low beam is almost always more than enough.

· Another ICON
13,711 Posts
I've had both HIDs and Daymakers, bang for buck, HIDs are great, but the Daymakers are better focused. I like to say it's like comparing flood lights to spot lights, with the HIDs being the flood light, and the Daymakers being spots, both are bright and 100x better than stock, but the Daymakers are better focused, IMO. I personally like the Daymakers a lot more. ........ my 10K post....... :cool:

· Registered
1,136 Posts
The daymakers are a much more focused beam of light. Your HID's scatter light even tho they are still an improvement over stock. You'll def see a HUGE difference when flicking on the high beams with the daymakers as you'll be able to see much further down the road than with HID's. You can always sell you stock lights and HID's to make up some of the money back.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
I hope everyone is right, since I replaced my HID's with Daymakers. Have not had a chance to get a ride in to confirm.
You'll still be pleased with the light output and the focus of light down the road. You'll also agree they are better than HID's

· Registered
69 Posts
I have HID's and on a dark,wide four lane road I was comfortable riding at 100 MPH with high beams and was fine at at a more mundane 70 MPH with low beams. I don't see how the DM's could be worth 10 times what I paid for mine.

55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H4 (HB2) (9003) Bi-Xenon - 5000k
they were $75.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
If the LED's are more focused,Wouldn't a flood type of beam be better for spotting deer at night? Not arguing the effectiveness of led's vs HID's,but in my particular case,it's important to light up as large an area as possible to watch out for deer on my way home at night from work.I ride between a wildlife refuge and a hay field,and other areas thick with deer for about 30 miles.

· Registered
2,806 Posts
Day makers light up street signs at noon, and at distance, on a sunny day in south Florida.

They are focused but also illuminate wide enough to catch that deer way off the side of the road. I got daymakers in CO after a scare-- I could have pet the deer it got so close. They will definitely disperse light off to the sides too.

· Registered
64 Posts
Replacing Halogens with HIDs isn't a great idea when the HID is sitting in a Halogen reflector. A properly setup headlight is not just about lumens. It's critical where it puts all that light. I have a drawer full of HID kits. Too much scatter (from unfocused HIDs) are a danger with oncoming traffic. I actually had two different bikes that had reflectors that did a good job of focusing the HIDs. Everything else just threw the light all over the place. I love the LEDs and plan to supplement them with some auxiliary lights (LEDs) to fill in the area just in front of the bike. To get a HID to work correctly you really have to look into a projector assembly that was designed for HIDs. I have retrofitted a number of projector type HIDs into halogen assemblies and have upgraded a few HID low beans to High/Low HID. If you're really wanting HIDs, I'd recommend visiting this site and be prepared to do a lot of reading. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ This has been my go-to HID site for years.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have HID's in my bike now but go the DM's near Xmas at too good of a price. I loved my HID's but didn't like not having a high beam. Hence why I made the switch to the DM's. Debating getting a rotor mounted fog light to make up the difference of light on the road.

· Registered
44 Posts
My personal experience... I had an 07 Fltr which the stock lighting you might as well hold a candle behind your Klock Werks shield if you wanted to see at night. So I purchased a group buy on Harley HID's on the forum and couldn't be happier. I aimed them in my garage after upgrading the headlamp mount to the 09 or better style. AND I loved it... I could see the distance and both side of the ditch on a four lane highway with center median in the country, never had one person flash their high beams at me regardless of turning or straight line riding. Shortly after a good friend from Texas came to visit with his 13cvo RG and let me take it for a spin... I had more fellow motorist flashing their high beams while I cornered in the evening than I ever had in my driving experience.

So long story short I loved my HID's on the 07 style lamp housing although I think on my new 15 style daymaker/OE LED headlamp would run either of the prior choices out of the park. I do most of my riding at night and would choose a quality Bi-HID on the 13 or before fairing model than the daymakers.

Just my 2 cents and don't worry about my feeling being hurt... mine was already broken.

· Registered
2012 RGU vivid black
1,589 Posts
I've had both and yes the hids are a 100% better than stock but the daymakers are by far better. I bought mine from PCpain at horny toad HD and paid around 560.00 I beleive

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.