Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to go this route but after searching the topic it appears the results are mixed. Sounds like the "currently challenged" radio reception could worsen with a hidden antenna. Could those of you with experience let me know which one you recommend or not recommend?
I'll be removing the fairing to replace the bars and speakers so I might as well do it while the shark nose is off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had the dealer install a hidden antenna when I had the King Tour Pak added so I wouldn't have to keep moving the coax between the Pak and the fender when the Pak was off. I'm not happy with the reception I get especially when traveling between big cities. I'm thinking of running separate coax from the Pak and the fender mount to under the seat, then a third coax from the radio back to the seat, so when I unplug the Pak, I can just swap the coax over.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think it depends on where you live and where you're riding. I've heard both good and bad about hidden antennas. My best friend recently got one and pulled it off his bike a week later. We live near the coast in So. Cal and the reception sucks when it's overcast... which is much of the time.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I just did this today... and for now I am listening to CDs (MP3) and the iPod...

Subscribing to also find out the best option for a hidden antenna...

Antenna delete, hole plugged. Rubber grommet - Part # 59749-06 (US$1.55)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I just did this today... and for now I am listening to CDs (MP3) and the iPod...

Subscribing to also find out the best option for a hidden antenna...

Antenna delete, hole plugged. Rubber grommet - Part # 59749-06 (US$1.55)

That's the way I went....don't really listen to the radio much, just the iPod and cd's. As long as I'm in town the fm works pretty well

·
Registered
585 Posts
On my 08 I had a hidden antenna put in when they put the hogtune speaker upgrade. It worked pretty well, but you had no AM (which I never listen to, anyway.) or weather band. FM became less receptive as well. Overall, I probably wouldn't do it again, but it is of no importance now that I have the twin antennas on my 11 RGU.

I would suggest not doing it if you listen to weatherband or AM.

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Hidden Antenna

I had one installed at the last minute when the dealer was doing some warrenty work. I can not find which one it was, but it had the booster with it. The only thing I found was I lost a couple miles in reception when heading out of town, but to me that is not a big deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
HD just started selling their version of the hidden antenna....not sure who makes it but so far so good.......I installed one when I did my speaker swap last week.......although I have not gone on a long ride......usually listen to cd's or ipod anyway but it sure will make taking the tourpak off easier....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the Dakota Digital hidden antenna last year and it sucked way bad! I am replacing it with the J&M Flexpower for this year, but its not yet installed, so I can't report on any improvements. But stay the hell away from the Dakota Digital...unless you like listening to nothing but CD's and MP3's

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I put one in

Cost me $5 the other $80 was store credit. I hooked up power to cig. lighter, should have gone with yellow with red stripe wire, but have not seen any power draw. The Dakota and J&M seam to be about the same out here in AZ.

·
Registered
826 Posts
HD just started selling their version of the hidden antenna....not sure who makes it but so far so good.......I installed one when I did my speaker swap last week.......although I have not gone on a long ride......usually listen to cd's or ipod anyway but it sure will make taking the tourpak off easier....
It looks identical to my Biketronics. Of which I'm only somewhat happy with as reception isn't what I had hoped for. Luckily with iPod, cd's, and XM it doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with the HOGTUNES hidden antenna which plugs into the back of your lighter for power and it works great for me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just installed mine from Discount Auto. Seems to work about the same as the regular antenna for me. Worth losing a few stations to save on removing it with the tour pak.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did it on my last bike and I lost a few stations. I rarely listen to AM/FM. I'd like to relocate the antenna on the new bike but I want something to fill the whole in the tourpack first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a dakota digital on the 07, it worked ok, definitely lost some reception once out of the valley.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I installed the Harley brand purchased at the dealer and have been happy with it. I just was riding and still could get FM stations 125 miles away for our city. I live in Portland, Oregon.

I would do it again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts