Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed Harley's Hidden Antenna and am not getting any radio improvement from not having one installed.

Vague station reception but nothing like what I originally had.

I installed in the fairing per the manual.

Service Auto part Event Metal Medical equipment
Going to take off fairing and double check it's plugged in tight.

I hope that's the issue.
Suggestio

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Do you happen to have an AMP installed? If so, usually your radio reception is terrible unless you use the whip antenna.

Reactions: NCPiper and chbush

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Those hidden antennas do not work for shit!
^^^^ Exactly what he said. I have the Biketronics one in my fairing. It works when I'm stupid close to the radio station.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you happen to have an AMP installed? If so, usually your radio reception is terrible unless you use the whip antenna.
I just installed the amp at same time as the antenna.
Yikes!!

any workaround??

whip not an option

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I was interested in one several years ago. I spoke with the parts guy at my local dealer and he told me straight up that the reception in our area sucked and he didnt recommend them. He even said that he hated selling them because people always tried to return them because they didnt work.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Mine worked so so as was dealer installed. Until I added an amp. I use Amazon on my phone so no loss I guess

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have a 2018 and I think I had my radio on the first day I had the bike just to try it out, I don't think I've ever used it since. Too many other great options for sound out there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
whip not an option
You can use the X style mount between bag and fender with a stubby antenna ($10 at AutoZone). My brother did that when he took the TP off his Ultra, and it worked quite well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I removed the fairing to have it painted a year or so ago. When I pulled the antenna wire out of radio it came apart. Instead of dealing with replacing it I bought a hidden antenna. It works well. I do not have an amp, just some Hogtunes speakers since the stock ones were blown. I can pick up stations from 50+ miles away.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,122 Posts
Generally speaking, the hidden antennas only work in metropolitan areas where you're close to the transmitters. Once you leave the city, they're all but useless. Even a short, inexpensive auto parts store stubby external one will work a lot better than the 'hidden' antenna.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put a $25 stubby on, only because original was to tall for tour pack. It works when I'm near a town but other wise nothing. I use my usb stick and listen to music.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just installed Harley's Hidden Antenna and am not getting any radio improvement from not having one installed.

I installed in the fairing per the manual.

View attachment 432512 Going to take off fairing and double check it's plugged in tight.

I hope that's the issue.
Suggestio
What I've done w/ my 2015 and then a 2020 is unscrew the OEM whip mount antenna, run the antenna from the mount at an angle under the saddlebag mount and up through the frame under the seat. The ball end will end up the just in back of the tank. Attach some thin leather where the antenna touches the frame and zip tie the mount end to the original angled mount piece and voila - you've got the OEM whip antenna out of sight. I don't notice any difference in reception from the stock mount. Works for me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I've done w/ my 2015 and then a 2020 is unscrew the OEM whip mount antenna, run the antenna from the mount at an angle under the saddlebag mount and up through the frame under the seat. The ball end will end up the just in back of the tank. Attach some thin leather where the antenna touches the frame and zip tie the mount end to the original angled mount piece and voila - you've got the OEM whip antenna out of sight. I don't notice any difference in reception from the stock mount. Works for me!
Sounds like I Should have researched more before purchasing thanks for your idea I'm going to consider it. 😆

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used a Biketronics Amplified Antenn, it worked great on my ‘07. I’d definitely do it again!

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
608 Posts
I got a cheap stubby, and it works great….

not a “that’s what she said…” post.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts