Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought one of those $19 amplified hidden antennas from AutoZone. It's identical to the HD one. Didn't like the loss of most WB signals. So here's what I did.

First I relocated the antenna so that it is vertical on the inner fairing instead of sideways. Saw a little improvement, but still not satisfied.

Bought an antenna splitter, and hooked the rear antenna wire back up with the hidden antenna.

Bought a "Rubber Duck" antenna and put it on the rear mount.... and "adjusted" the rear mount so that the rubber antenna is hidden behind the left saddlebag. By that I mean I took out the front screw on the antenna mount, and tilted it forward. I zip tied the rubber antenna to the frame by the shock filler valve. You can't see it at all.

Presto.... Between the two antennas, I now have the same number of WB stations that I had with the stock long whip antenna. And FM is nice and strong.

And the back of my bike looks like this.........

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Ain't you something!!! You da man!!! I may want to do that. Hey, I see you have the reflector below your L/P. I wish mine had that. I guess us Cali guys have to pay extra for that.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ain't you something!!! You da man!!! I may want to do that. Hey, I see you have the reflector below your L/P. I wish mine had that. I guess us Cali guys have to pay extra for that.

The reflector is stock...... some guy from Arden Arcade must have swiped yours.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The little things are what count.... Cool idea.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
any pics of the antenna behind the bag?

Nothing on TV worth watching... it's raining..... several barley pops doing their magic........burp :rolleyes:

Here you go.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Looks like a good idea, I just bought a hidden ant. and may do the same thing, didn't think about it effecting the WB which I do use, thanks for the idea and pics.:)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Very clean and if it works as good as you say, that is very nice! Thanks for the pics!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very clean and if it works as good as you say, that is very nice! Thanks for the pics!

I haven't had a chance to test in the real world. Here's how I judged it..... in my garage (aluminum siding), with just the hidden antenna, I could get 1 WB station strong, and occasionally a second would come in. After adding the rubber antenna, I get both stations reliably.

With the stock antenna, I got the 2 WB stations, in the garage. And one of the FM stations that I listen to is noticeably stronger with the extra antenna.

I'm guessing it's going to be very usable on the road. I use WB a lot, so I needed to do something to improve reception. For music I listen to MP3's.

The hardest part of doing this was finding the antenna cable splitter. I had to resort to E-bay, to get one.

Here's the rubber mast from AutoZone

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Metra-Electronics-Rubber-replacement-antenna-mast/_/N-2623?counter=3&itemIdentifier=545537_0_0_

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to know how the "rubber duck" antenna does all on it's own without the help of the hidden antenna/splitter?
It doesn't.... it's in addition to the hidden antenna with a splitter.... so there are TWO antennas. It just ads a little reception to the otherwise marginal hidden antenna.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It doesn't.... it's in addition to the hidden antenna with a splitter.... so there are TWO antennas. It just ads a little reception to the otherwise marginal hidden antenna.
So you're saying the flexible antenna you put on the back does nothing by itself? It only works in tandem with the hidden one? Did you try it by itself? I figured it wouldn't be as good as the stock whip, but I thought it might work ok.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So you're saying the flexible antenna you put on the back does nothing by itself? It only works in tandem with the hidden one? Did you try it by itself? I figured it wouldn't be as good as the stock whip, but I thought it might work ok.
By itself it..... well ..... sucks :rolleyes: Reception is less than the HD shorty antenna.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the final verdict.

I got a chance to take RoboGlide for a short ride after work, between rain showers.

The two antennas perform pretty much as well as the factory whip.

I had a solid signal on the local NOAA station. I could also reliably lock 2 other NOAA stations that are between 40 to 50 miles away. They weren't as loud as the local one... but usable.

The bike looks lots better without the antenna being visible, and I got all the signal I need.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts