Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I bought my 15 RGS it came with the boom speakers, amp and hidden antenna to be installed. The hidden antenna doesn't work worth a darn. Before it was installed I had fairly good reception but after I can only get 1 FM station.
I saw hidden antennas on eGlide Goodies and asked them if they had one that really works that would mount in a 15 RGS they said that they have had good results with their new one and it is only around $50.
So my question: has anyone used their antenna and how well does it work?
If you have used some other antenna that gave you good results, what is it and where can I get it?

Thanks For Your Help

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There was a guy on here somewhere that just unscrewed his antenna wire from the tour pack, hooked it to his antenna, and threaded his antenna under his seat and tank. swore it worked great. I tried it for a few days while waiting for the proper hardware for mounting to the saddlebag guards and it worked fine for me as well. You can spend the coin for almost any gizmo, but I always said, if it works and is free, its worth the money!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also did that on my 08 and it worked fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also just did that. There is a video of how to do it on youtube. I think it's called cheap antenna relocating or something like that. a few guys that I ride with bought the in-faring antenna and mine works WAY batter...plus it was free. I find it's just as good as having the antenna sticking up. I also have XM radio on my bike that I mostly use, so I dont need to use the radio antenna much anyways...

·
Registered
469 Posts
I installed and use the JM inner fairing antenna. No issues. Works as good or better than the stock. No static, no lose of station reception on all frequencies.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I also just did that. There is a video of how to do it on youtube. I think it's called cheap antenna relocating or something like that. a few guys that I ride with bought the in-faring antenna and mine works WAY batter...plus it was free. I find it's just as good as having the antenna sticking up. I also have XM radio on my bike that I mostly use, so I dont need to use the radio antenna much anyways...
Have mine hidden behind the fender for the last two summers. Works great. Here's the link to the You Tube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7NoK0A1GA

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think that once you install the amp, you will find the hidden antenna won't work that great with the new Harley radio. I would try the antenna through the fender trick.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I installed and use the JM inner fairing antenna. No issues. Works as good or better than the stock. No static, no lose of station reception on all frequencies.
I use the JM powered unit on mine and quite a few customers rides with no complaints, they do have a non powered unit that I got once and was not impressed

·
Registered
52 Posts
I heard that other in faring antennas were better than the Harley brand, but if its free and works just as good, i'm all over it! haha

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have mine hidden behind the fender for the last two summers. Works great. Here's the link to the You Tube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks7NoK0A1GA
+2 on this. All the hidden antennas that go in fairing will more then likely work the same. Reason for this is reception works on 1/4 wavelength. this is your antenna and the body of the vehicle. (so make sure you have it well connected) If you have a CB function you need 1/2 wavelength to transmit. So not to get standing waves the antennas (old wire whips) are clipped usually to CH19 which is the mid channel (also trucker ) to get as close to zero standing waves. Reception works very much like this for your AM/FM/WB your reception drops with hidden antennas, mainly due to it all coiled up in a small area making it harder for the radio signals to cut through the antenna. The other factor is height of the antenna. That being said this mod should out performer any hidden antenna on the market because it covers a larger area for the signals to go through. Probably more then you wanted to know, but just experience working in communications in the Navy. Had to explain this to the Commanding officer after telling him my equipment wasn't broken it was the way he was driving the boat.

·
Registered
305 Posts
LOL at the last two sentences. Having had similar "conversations" with my skipper, I can just imagine how well that discussion went.

·
Registered
205 Posts
LOL at the last two sentences. Having had similar "conversations" with my skipper, I can just imagine how well that discussion went.
Well he had me rack out the Senior Chief, who chewed my as for 20 min after he talked to the skipper. Not bad punishment had to sit down and talk why we couldn't get a fix on the floating wire (were submerged doing over 12 knots) needed about 1200 feet of wire within 10 feet of the surface. We were lucky to have 300 feet based on length of floating wire deployed, speed and depth. Best skipper I ever had. Started with an apology (as directed by the Senior Chief) 45 min of theory to explain why I was right. He agreed and thanked me after. I was the lead tech at the time. ( of course I was also directed not to handle things that way by him or Senior Chief again.)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also tried 3 different kinds and makes of the hidden antennas, none of them worked like the stock antenna. Save your money.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Did the same on my 06 and don't think I noticed a reduction in reception at all.

There was a guy on here somewhere that just unscrewed his antenna wire from the tour pack, hooked it to his antenna, and threaded his antenna under his seat and tank. swore it worked great. I tried it for a few days while waiting for the proper hardware for mounting to the saddlebag guards and it worked fine for me as well. You can spend the coin for almost any gizmo, but I always said, if it works and is free, its worth the money!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The boom hidden antenna came standard on my 13 CVO, it worked ok, did not work as well as a the regular antenna. A buddy of mine has the same opinion about his.
I sold the CVO and now have a 15 RGS, I added a tour oak so the antenna became an issue, really didn't want another hidden antenna , so I bought a Polished "Big Stick" 6 inch, rigid mount antenna from eglide goodies, you can barely see it, and it works well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts