Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is stripped down to the chassis for new paint and powder so I'm taking the opportunity to do a few other upgrades and clean a few thing up. I want to get rid of the antennas and was looking at the J&M hidden ones, both Am/FM and CB. I don't really use the CB but it's all wired for it so I don't want to get rid of it either. I'm putting in HID headlights and an amp and I've heard that HID's can interfere with the hidden antenna. Has anyone ever mounted one in the saddle bags? I Thought of puttin them in the tour pak but it's detachable so i don't always have it on the bike. I already have the cables run back to connectors mounted on the saddlebag supports as part of the quick detach kit.

Open to other ideas as well. I've seen where some people slide the antennae under the fender rail covers. Has anyone had luck with the shorty ones mounted down by the fender? They're not going back on the tour Pak. The mounts have already been removed and the painter is going to fill the holes before shooting the new color.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I put my shorty under the side cover. It works fairly well with FM. I'm sure the range is cut way down but I really don't use FM much. The WB comes in sometimes and sometimes no. I figure if I really need the WB I'll stop and pull the cover off then stuff it back in once I hear the forcast. If I used it a lot this probably would not be a great set up but it works for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im curious about this to. Going to upgrade the audio in the next couple weeks and would like to get rid of that big ole antenna.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think in gonna go ahead and order the J&M antennae and do some tests in the garage. I'll try the bags and he fairing before I remove any wiring

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well John, I guess you'd be the very man to ask. Have you guys tried mounting the hidden antennae anywhere else? Or have you found interference to be an issue if there's an amp or HID's in the fairing?

Thanks

Dylan

·
Registered
875 Posts
I use the J&M hidden fairing antennae. I don't use WB or CB, FM only. Seems to work OK, then again I don't use FM much either so it could suck for all I know. I guess reception is a matter of perception, in my case my setup works for what I want.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Was going to start a thread, but will just add-on here.

I bought the HD powered hidden antenna for my RGS as I am adding a detachable tourpak. Any tips on routing the "wings" inside the new RG fairing? I talked to one of my service guys and he was totally in the dark that they have changed the fairing (doh!).

So looking for any advice on where best to route to get the best performance and avoid any electrical interference.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think in gonna go ahead and order the J&M antennae and do some tests in the garage. I'll try the bags and he fairing before I remove any wiring
I installed the J&M in fairing antenna on my 2015 RGS and it works so much better than the shorty I had. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed the HD powered antenna. Had to talk to service guys for advice. Stick the center, powered piece to the top of the headlight assembly. I did not have to cut off the mounting screw side piece. I ran the wings over top of much of the wiring going as wide out as I could, but still being able to get to the back of the inner fairing then wrapping around the speaker. The wings are not very long. Reception is about the same as stock antenna. You may be able to route around the outside of the speaker compartment and avoid interference. Would be trial an error as there are thin brace/support pads on the outside of the speaker compartment. Not sure if there is enough room to put the outer fairing back on. Would like to hear from someone if they try a different route. Like others, I limit FM and use bluetooth for music on iPhone.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks. I'll be installing the antenna with the XM module this weekend. I'll let you know how I routed and the results.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I had the J&M powered hidden antenna in my Glide fairing for 3 days. There was as close to zero reception as possible on my 3 day trip from Chicago through Wisconsin and back. Had to stop at Kutter to pick up a stubby on the way back. FM was all I was after and it just didn't happen, wish it did work 'cause I think the bike is so much cleaner without an antenna. Got one for sale if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bh#103

How much do you want for the antenna?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
J&M

Yeah, I'll take it. $14 less than Amazon. Worth a shot.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts