Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my parts together an will be installing new Audio in a Few wks,Nothing better to do in Upstate NY in the winter.Since I am going to Have it apart Was thinking about ditching the 3 ft.Antenna an put a hidden antenna in the Fairing.Any Suggestions?Whats the best one an How is the Reception,I know some are not that good.Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had one on my 12 Street Glide. I put a Carven Speed Stubby on the new Road Glide.....they are about the same as far as how they perform. The Stubby was like $25.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried the Craven Stubby Jr. and it didn't work. I have the KEYo1E 5.9" installed at the moment. It seems ok, one station is a little fuzzy but the bike is in a barn. I plan on testing this weekend and decide if it goes back or not.

Plan B is the 'ol whip under the seat route. I see mixed results on that one, and I'm not that crazy about it, but it's worth trying.

Plan C is the HD internal antenna; that seems to get the best overall reviews, although some still don't like it. Noticed that BikeTronics also sells an internal antenna that appears to get very good reviews - both similar in price..

For what's worth - let us know what you end up doing..

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an honest question, not being a smartass but does anyone really listen to over the air radio anymore? All my stations stream through my phone now days better than antenna anyways.

That being said, I have installed car stereos in my past life for almost 20 years and hidden antennas never worked great. I ditched mine long ago, just another thing to hide under the dash. My antenna hole was shaved over long ago, no going back to it......

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't argue with that; I'd like to have it available for weather and local stuff if I'm out of my local area; but agree that IF I have the radio on at all, it would be playing media from my phone, commercial free..

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Getting my parts together an will be installing new Audio in a Few wks,Nothing better to do in Upstate NY in the winter.Since I am going to Have it apart Was thinking about ditching the 3 ft.Antenna an put a hidden antenna in the Fairing.Any Suggestions?Whats the best one an How is the Reception,I know some are not that good.Thanks for any input.
I have the HD one and as you would expect, it is ok. I did add it as I wanted the clean look of no antenna. Around town and a few miles out, it works ok. As noted, I use my phone for trips and out of town for the day. For me, I do use the radio from time to time when traveling and riding around town when I arrive. I do that as I want a change of pace from the phone.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have an honest question, not being a smartass but does anyone really listen to over the air radio anymore? All my stations stream through my phone now days better than antenna anyways.

That being said, I have installed car stereos in my past life for almost 20 years and hidden antennas never worked great. I ditched mine long ago, just another thing to hide under the dash. My antenna hole was shaved over long ago, no going back to it......
Agreed. I put on the stubby but I have never used the radio in the two years I have this bike. That being said, back when radio was still a thing, I tried three different hidden antennas and none of them worked well.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Plan B is the 'ol whip under the seat route. I see mixed results on that one, and I'm not that crazy about it, but it's worth trying.

Plan C is the HD internal antenna; that seems to get the best overall reviews, although some still don't like it. Noticed that BikeTronics also sells an internal antenna that appears to get very good reviews - both similar in price..
Totally agree with plan B putting the whip under the seat. Cheap, hidden, and good reception. A friend did that on his Street Glide and it is every bit as good as my Harley hidden antenna that cost a lot more.

Yep. News radio for local traffic and weather for my 53 mile, 1 way commute in Washington DC traffic. Other than that, Ipod or sat radio for me.

The HD hidden antenna worked great on mine the 2 times I tried it after install :), mostly ITunes for me. I guess it depends where you are, if your in the sticks you might not get that great of a signal.
Amen, John. The hidden does work fine, but none of the antennas are as good as my old Ultras or my cars.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I removed the long whipped antenna when I first bought my 2012 Custom and replaced it with a Harley Shorty Antenna.
It worked okay but I hardly ever listen to FM or AM.
I have since removed the Shorty Antenna when I replaced my Rear Fender Fascia but left the Antenna Wire in place.
I did install a Harley Hidden Antenna in my good buddies 2012 Custom and he said it was hit and miss as far as reception.
I now listen to XM most of the time or my iPod that has all my music on it.
I've recently started listening to Spotify and am going to give that a try on My Glide when the weather breaks.
Mike U.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input,To be honest I almost always use my old I-Pod,Or with the new bike an the usb port been making a few of those usb drives hooking right in the port,They are small work good.Really looking for something better looking,Might get that Stubby see you can get it shaped like a bullet.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I always pay attention to these threads, as I wish I could eliminate both antenna’s, radio and CB. I had Harley shorty’s put on when the CB was installed, and they work very well. I would have gone to Stubbys but I hear that even though they work almost as good, I’m not interested in almost. I fully expect to be running shorty’s throughout the life of this RGU, but I’ll keep reading and hoping.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I save on data plans so I can spend on my bike. Only music coming out of my phone will be downloaded. I still use the radio occasionally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The KEY01 5.9” stubby antenna from amazon worked for me when I took the bike out of the barn. I’m going to keep it for now..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
I put the HD internal antenna in my 2018 RG. It's pretty decent. Like other posters, however, I usually listen to XM or hookup my iPod. The benefit of having a hidden antenna outweighed my need for "better" FM/AM capability (which is maybe not so great).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had one installed behind the fairing on my 2019 RG Special since I use a chopped tour pack when traveling.It works OK in the city but when I get out a few miles some stations that used to come in clear with the stock antenna come in very poor.

If you mainly stream your music and want to do it for looks then go for it but if you depend on a good strong signal for AM, FM and weather radio then stick with the stock antenna you will be happy you did.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts