Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked at five pages of pictures on Blacked Out RG’s, most have been fitted with Ape hanger’s, my question is are these comfortable while riding on long road trips?:confused:

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I am running 14's after 10" PYO Monkey bars and stock. Best comfort mod yet. Win win for me, I like the look and they are comfortable for the long rides.

Rowdy

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Ill let you know next week after swII. I have 14's and so far there the best bars I've ever ridden.
I have 16's and love them they have been comfortable for local stuff 3-400 mile days but 1,000+ to shark week II will be the real test.im guessing my ass will be sore long before my arms.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One of THE best mods I made. As long as your wrist is level with or below your shoulder, you can ride all day. I can't speak to having your wrist way above should level, however.

·
Registered
337 Posts
For long rides you never want your wrists above your heart! hands, fingers go numb. I have 16 inch ape beaters and there perfect for me. 6'2". I personally like apes better because there just more comfortable for my hight and my back doesn't hurt. I just got back from a 800 mile ride around California and had no complaints other than my ass was sore lol...

·
Registered
381 Posts
As you can see.....opinions vary. At my 6ft/34" inseam, I was only willing to consider 10" or 12" apes, as the whole super tall ape hanger look in not for me. I'm also more into Touring than Bar Hopping. I went with some 10" Monkey Bars, as they run al little taller than most 10" bars. I've done some 200-300 miles rides and have not had any comfort issues. I would have gone with the 12" Monkey Bars if I didn't live in a cold climate and didn't need to maintain some hand-grip protection from the wind.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I have a 2012 RGC seat that was modified by MCC to move me back 1" and down 1". I have 16" Wild 1 Chubby Bars on my bike. Just got home yesterday from an almost 2,400 mile trip and the bars were awesome. I also road the dragon with my Apes, the looks on people's faces was priceless. I got home at about 2:15 AM last night after leaving North GA at 7AM the day before only stopping for fuel and food and one 4 hour layover in North FL due to weather. Trust me that your ass will hurt you way before your arms do.

I wouldn't change a thing on the handlebars, with my rider backrest and HG floor board extenders it was like sitting on a lazy boy.

To each his own but this was my experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have 18'a, they are not for everyone. I have back problems and before I couldn't ride 100 miles without hurting for 3 days. Now I can ride all day long with the only issue being a sore ass. No issues with my back, neck, shoulders, or wrists, and my hands never go numb. I went with 18'a for comfort and looks. I'm 6 foot with 31 inch inseam. If you have ANY neck or back issues, 14'a-16's will help.
I don't know where some people are getting protection from wind from wind on their hands with a fixed fairing, I must be missing something, because I never noticed much at all with stock bars.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 18'a, they are not for everyone. I have back problems and before I couldn't ride 100 miles without hurting for 3 days. Now I can ride all day long with the only issue being a sore ass. No issues with my back, neck, shoulders, or wrists, and my hands never go numb. I went with 18'a for comfort and looks. I'm 6 foot with 31 inch inseam. If you have ANY neck or back issues, 14'a-16's will help.
I don't know where some people are getting protection from wind from wind on their hands with a fixed fairing, I must be missing something, because I never noticed much at all with stock bars.

I just figured that riding with these bars your shoulder and arm would be aching after a couple of hours.

I noticed your signature “Trying to figure out how to customize a custom bike” we’ve got the same bike and the same dilemma. I was figuring a new front mudguard a slim tire hugger.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just figured that riding with these bars your shoulder and arm would be aching after a couple of hours.

I noticed your signature “Trying to figure out how to customize a custom bike” we’ve got the same bike and the same dilemma. I was figuring a new front mudguard a slim tire hugger.
The bars have helped me tremendously. I was sick there for a while not knowing what to do to it. Next I think I'll lower it. Not using lowering blocks though.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bars have helped me tremendously. I was sick there for a while not knowing what to do to it. Next I think I'll lower it. Not using lowering blocks though.
The standard height of the SERG is perfect for me, but the front fender is scratching at my arse a bit. I’d like to see some more of the front wheel and maybe put pin strips tires on as well to finish it off. I basically like the bikes stock appearance.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I like apes, but they don't like me.

I had to go with a low bar. Do they look cool, not really. But I can ride 12 hours a day (every day if needed).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like apes, but they don't like me.

I had to go with a low bar. Do they look cool, not really. But I can ride 12 hours a day (every day if needed).
The guy who previously owned my bike's got wild 1 RG bars fitted. I would have put the same bar on anyway, my Heritage has got similar bars and I can ride all day with no issues so its a no brainer for me. I like low bars.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had 16's on my previous bike (Softail), and i put 14's on my RG. I wish I would've gone with 16's again, these roll my shoulders down and aren't as comfortable for all day.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just looked at five pages of pictures...

...are these comfortable while riding on long road trips?:confused:

You're kinda answering your own question. There are probably some who only ride as far as the local bike night, but I would venture a guess that most people who buy a touring bike put miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 14's and they are great. for a 1000 mile ride I would be using the cruise or a crampbuster to give my wrist a break though. I find the bars keep me from slouching and take the strain off of my lower back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been riding with shoulder high apes for 28 years, there are thousands of miles in there somewhere, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts