Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched on this topic and couldn't really find anything. All ended up with build a 107 but I dont have that money at this point. Is it worth it to do high compression pistons. I was thinking high compression pistons different valve springs and a high lift cam. Anyone have thoughts on this combo.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Searched on this topic and couldn't really find anything. All ended up with build a 107 but I dont have that money at this point. Is it worth it to do high compression pistons. I was thinking high compression pistons different valve springs and a high lift cam. Anyone have thoughts on this combo.
I think high comp Pistons, rings, cyl hone and valve springs are a waste of money. Just do a cam and call her Good. Lots of good cam options making decent power. I don’t think you’ll get your moneys worth out of the other bits and bobs.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I think high comp Pistons, rings, cyl hone and valve springs are a waste of money. Just do a cam and call her Good. Lots of good cam options making decent power. I don’t think you’ll get your moneys worth out of the other bits and bobs.
Let’s not forget milling the heads. You can milk the heads and do .030 head gasket and bump the compession to 10 plus what ever the mill is. I say 10.5 and call it good. Depending on cam and valve springs of course. The higher the lift the stouter the springs need to be and pushrods of course. Those 103 can get some pretty incredible numbers if done right. Just saying....

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
Good head job and a good cam , I am a S&S loyalist , and the 551 is a good torque cam that pulls hard to around 4000 , which is where most motors live .. Also the 570 and 585 .. I believe the 585 is as high as you can go with out some head work and different pistons ..

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Compression isn't the issue with the 103. Its the heads. So until you can afford to CNC the heads and put larger intake valves in, I would not pull the top end down unless it needs rings. You can still make 100HP+ with just cams, pipes and a good breather.

And if money is an issue, don't start until you have the piggy bank well stocked. Chances are you'll end up needing to split the cases and replace the wheels. If the oem set wobbles, and most do, you'll be needing to replace them too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what I have now is d&d fat cat 2 into1, sert, and a burst style intake. I'm getting a thundermax tuner from a buddy and was thinking cams for the winter. I read alot about milling the heads messes with the tb mounting. Is there no extra power to be had with the high compression pistons.

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
well ya have the BEST exhaust , yeah there is power to be had with more compression . depends on what you want ... if ya bump up the compression , I would stay around 10.2-10.5 tops .. Get your heads done , don't need to be milled , just port and polish and put bigger valves in .. Anything over a 585 in the TC103 needs head work and valve spring changes , and some different pistons ..

Is this an interstate eater or not ?? That would direct me in my build ........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking fuel moto level c heads and no more then 10.5 to 1. I ride mostly around 3000 rpm. Ride to work every day interstate and weekend just ripping and what not. I'm really looking for just a ass kicking quick to 120 bike that burns the tire all the way they there. I will end up with a 126 or bigger but that's about 3 years down the road. Untill then I will stay with the 103.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was thinking fuel moto level c heads and no more then 10.5 to 1. I ride mostly around 3000 rpm. Ride to work every day interstate and weekend just ripping and what not. I'm really looking for just a ass kicking quick to 120 bike that burns the tire all the way they there. I will end up with a 126 or bigger but that's about 3 years down the road. Untill then I will stay with the 103.

Send your heads to fuelmoto and let them do there magic on them,than add woods 777 cam.no need to change pistons they can set your heads up to work with the 777 cam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Do you guys both have your minds somewhere else today? I may have to restrict your "guy" time together. :)
OMG! What an ugly bike!!! All bs aside its prettier then Cadillacs bike.(code for one of your peeps)lol...wink wink

Reactions: wevsspot

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Don't waste your money on a lot of engine work. HP isn't as important as torque is. With intake and exhaust upgrades and a good low end torque cam your bike will have plenty of grunt and get up and go and it will make you happy. Been there done that, I chased HP and torque numbers and just ended up with more engine problems then it was worth. I went back to a stock 103 with a stock HD 103 HO cam and I am happy and the bike hasn't had any problems. This is JMO you can spend your money the way you want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New plan. I have about 2 grand. I was thinking a good set of heads then a good cam. Since I have the head off putting a comet head gasket to give the compression a kick. I was thinking fuel moto outlaw heads and the 777 woods cam. Is th is a good combo for a 103 or to much head?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Call FM up and see what they say. I would call Hillside and Kirby up and get some different opinions. Everything has to work together, if it doesn't you will be chasing something that you can't catch.
Also talk to them about the thundermax and see if they think it is a good match for their work and cam recommendations. I wanted to be sure I was getting everything I could out of my build and it was tuned as good as it could be. I want with a dyno tune with a TTS

·
Administrator
10,507 Posts
2 grand will get you a set of S&S heads and a great cam with a few c notes left over ...

Hillside , Kirby or Frank either one .. Lean towards Frank , he will talk to you all day and will talk you out of what you dont need , whether he does it or not ..

·
Registered
660 Posts
most changes to engine are for our own egos.several of my group have done exh,complete pipes,cams, some only pipes.all of us are 2 up.one bike is 103 stage 4.he gets to destination at the same time as the rest.i have a 110 with Andrews 57-.030 head gaskets,gaskets probably not worth the time.no change to pistons or heads.if you have the coin do what you want.if you don.t then it's better to say your sorry than ask permission.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My buddy is selling his thunder max because it wont work on his 2018 now. So I will have a thi dermax on it after tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts