Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I tear my bike apart, look at the wrong area, or take it to a shop, I would like to hear any suggestions on a minor problem that just started. I went for a ride today, and I noticed when I let off the throttle the engine doesn't go back down to a normal idle right away, it tends to want to stay around 2k rpms for a few seconds, then go down. I thought at first it may be because the bike was cold, but I rode almost 50 miles with no change, not to mention it does the same thing when you're coming to a stop, which can be a little nerve racking.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but when I swapped my handle bars, i put the brake lever clamp and throttle switch housing too far up the handlebars, thus resulting in my throttle sticking and not returning to idle. When I moved the switch housing back off the handlebars about 1/8 of an inch, the problem went away. Maybe check that the throttle switch housing is not too far up the handlebars, jamming the throttle sensor.:D

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Does the bike do this only when riding? Did you try cycling the ignition on/off 5 times? Cycling the ignition will reset the idle if it is high but that is when the idle is high all the time in most cases.
Like others mentioned check the throttle for sticking.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, the throttle isn't sticking at all, I'll try cycling the ignition in the morning when I get home.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
There is a small tube/pipe called a purge tube that comes out of the throttle body behind the air cleaner that should have a small black rubber or plastic cap on it. If that has come loose or lost it will do exactly what you describe. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Being that bike is a TBW (throttle by wire) there is no idle air control motor. So idle is controlled by the throttle blade. Some time this is from owners shutting the bike off withy he runs with and rolling the throttle. But that was on older bikes and your 2010 should not be effected by this. However first thing remove negative batter cable for 5 minutes. Re attach cable and see if this corrects this issue. Now if it does not I would check for an intake leak.

Being that the bike is a 107 you have had the intake off maybe heads milled....?? Intake leak will create this problem. Without more info hard to help more than that. History on bike ,..when the build was down tuner etc would be helpful. High idle that holds tht just started is most likely a common intake leak .

Any speedo issue's as that is still tied into idle. A bike that is rolling may not idle down and that is normal. But once you get to under a few a miles an hour it should come right down to normal rpm range for tht given temp. Good luck

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Does the bike do this only when riding? Did you try cycling the ignition on/off 5 times? Cycling the ignition will reset the idle if it is high but that is when the idle is high all the time in most cases.
Like others mentioned check the throttle for sticking.
+1 on the throttle reset.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, I tried cycling the ignition, no change. However listening to the bike real close, I do believe that I could have an intake leak on the rear part of the TB. You can hear a noise that sounds like a small vacuum leak. I'm going to remove the A/C and investigate further, I'll report back later, thanks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Update, I tried cycling the ignition, no change. However listening to the bike real close, I do believe that I could have an intake leak on the rear part of the TB. You can hear a noise that sounds like a small vacuum leak. I'm going to remove the A/C and investigate further, I'll report back later, thanks.
If you think it is an intake leak, shoot a little either around the seals while it is running. The idle will change if there is a leak.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
If you think there is a intake leak the most common culprit is the rubber cap on the tube that is on top of the TB.
Did you check for DTCs?
The map sensor on the TB could be going bad but it is not a common problem.
The only other 2 places that could have a leak in the intake is the O rings on the fuel injectors which is not common or the intake gaskets which is more common.
The gaskets that go between the cylinder heads and the TB are rubber and they will harden and crack over time due to the heat.
If there is no intake leak you may have a failing engine temp sensor which will have some effect on idle.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
If you choose to spray anything around the intake you need to be very careful because you will end up getting over spray into the throttle body which will raise the idle slightly giving you a false positive if you will.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I use carb cleaner when checking for a intake leak.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of thr replies, I also received a call from Frank, (Dragos), he walked me through a couple of things....... well I have to wait until tomorrow to finish. The engine was hot, and I have to work another 10hr shift, so I need some sleep, but it definitely looks like an intake leak. I'll post again tomorrow.

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I didn't have to use anything but my eyes and a flashlight to find the leak. While talking to Frank, I mentioned to him that once the A/C is off, I can wiggle the TB all over the place...... that's not supposed to happen. Apparently the screws the that hold the A/C to the heads, and also the ones that hold the TB to the heads had worked themselves a little loose, (darn shaking Harleys ), lol. Long story short, resealed gaskets and tightened everything up, she seems to be back to her normal self, I'm going to ride for a little, I'll report back this evening. Once again, thanks everybody for the help. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hardeshia is running great and back to normal, nothing like taking a Sunday afternoon glide when the weather is perfect and your RG is purring like a kitten. :cool:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Glad you found the problem and she's up and running again

·
Registered
528 Posts
I enjoyed this thread. Love stories with a happy ending!! Glad your bike is running great again!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts