Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok today me and my son n law went for a ride. Today was just one of those perfect riding days. We ended up being about 120 miles from home and had an hour and half to be somewhere for a family gathering. Long story short we ended up on the Interstate doing about 110ish coming home. I noticed that the bike seemed lite in the front end and was fine during acceleration but when I would let off or hold the throttle the bike would wobble side to side but not bad(almost like the buffeting you get when being behind an 18wheeler). It just didn't feel as planted as it normally does. I never felt uncomfortable with it but it was just different. The front end just doesn't feel as planted as it normally does. I also noticed when I was running about 55mph I needed to slow down just a tad to keep from running into the back of a car. I normally would have tapped the back brake but sometimes Ill just give the front brake a lite squeeze to slow down. This time when I squeezed the front brake I felt a definite shimmy in the front end until I left off of the front brake.

Bike has 20k miles. Just added a Michelin Commander 2 to the rear but didn't replace the factory front Dunlop. Im guessing the front tire might be getting worn. Im also going to jack the front end up and check the head set bearings. I also know that I shouldnt be running 100 plus mph so please dont tell my mom. Could it be a front axle bearing?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Could have simply lost a wheel weight going so fast. Maybe One of your tires could be bad and not necessarily the old one. New tire, New problem.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Could be a number of things, definitely check tires etc like Vader above said but the shimmy while squeezing the brake can also be that your rotors are warped. And where the hell are you going at that speed ? :)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
You'll feel the bumpy out of balance @50-55 and a cup or worn will feel or even hear esp downhill curve, front brakes could be glazed, check for even pad wear(calibers) an vertical push/pull for the bearing, the bearing off times clits though, early warning, hell ck the rotors for gummies too.
I am going with the tire.....but as you know...each step is support by the previous step.
shotgun it
Plus put high speed grease on that axle

·
Registered
927 Posts
Only thing that changed was the tire.

Short of having developed a mechanical issue like loose steering head bearing (it’s checked and adjusted as part of the 25k mi service), bearing hub, (doubtful in 20k mi, but if you use a power washer on those wheels...) , axle nut torque, or front end suspension issue (fluid), These are probable but I’m thinking not likely.

That “light” feeling could have even come from the road condition. Don’t imagine you’d go that fast if it was, but did the road look so smooth that it looked “slippery”? A slippery road would make the front end feel light at that speed (as would a worn front tire).

The shimmy when applying the front brake, did you feel a pulse in the brake lever, or are you saying the front end shimmied side to side, but the braking felt smooth? If the latter, you’ve got slop somewhere which might also cause that light feeling, but if you felt it in the lever, probably a warped rotor, or as Reds4 states glazed.. If it’s a rotor (warped or glazed) you would always feel it in the lever when applying the brake regardless the speed you’re going, it’s just more pronounced at higher speeds.

My guess is 1. worn front tire, 2. mismatched (with worn front) tires, and 3. warped rotor.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. If I can get home at a reasonable time tonight I’ll put the bike on the stand and check the front end. Come to think of it what reds4 said about the rotors makes sense. I have noticed when stopping the front brake wasn’t as smooth as it normally is.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
745 Posts
Thanks for the input. If I can get home at a reasonable time tonight I’ll put the bike on the stand and check the front end. Come to think of it what reds4 said about the rotors makes sense. I have noticed when stopping the front brake wasn’t as smooth as it normally is.
Got a solution for you my friend...No buffeting, no high speed wobble, smooth brakes...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Could be as simple as wrong tire pressure. Even the wrong tire pressure in the rear can make it feel like the front is the issue at high speed.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
As mentioned above

It could be a number of things

Check everything to make sure your bike is good to go

My guess is warped or glazed rotors as well

Also, do you check your tire pressure often?

39 rear psi & 41 front psi is what I run as far as tire pressure and I have never had what your describing before

Also ALWAYS run the same tires front and back

Just my thoughts

And the final question is, why the hell were you riding so fast, was there a naked lady waiting for you and you only had a certain time frame ??? , LOL.

Swomack

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Seen this a hundred times - The Issue is the mechanism between your throttle and seat.......guessing it is just a simple fix to remove said head from rear orifice.....and then issue a proper cleaning..........jackass!!!

Have you checked the blinker fluid?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Seen this a hundred times - The Issue is the mechanism between your throttle and seat.......guessing it is just a simple fix to remove said head from rear orifice.....and then issue a proper cleaning..........jackass!!!

Have you checked the blinker fluid?
LOL

Too Funny

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok between the ass chewing text messages and posts I’m ordering a new front tire. I’m still going to check the headset bearing and clean the brakes and check rotors. Its 100% chance of rain Saturday so I guess I know what I’ll be doing Saturday.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Warped front rotors could also be the problem. If they are really warped they could knock your tire out of balance creating that vibration even without braking especially at high speeds.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And the final question is, why the hell were you riding so fast, was there a naked lady waiting for you and you only had a certain time frame ??? , LOL.

Swomack
Maybe

·
Registered
822 Posts
I cannot for the life of me figure out why everybody is giving the poor guy hell for running a little hot in the interstate ... Because my read on the story is:

Ok today me and my son n law went for a ride. Today was just one of those perfect riding days. We ended up being about 120 miles from home and had an hour and half to be somewhere for a family gathering. Long story short we ended up on the Interstate doing about 110ish coming home.

...So the (TBH Much...) greater risk here is in showing up late to a family gathering and running head-on into the buzz-saw that is a pissed off mother and daughter team (been there, done that, trust me..). Hell compared to that if you think the asphalt looks like a cheese grater at 110mph? ...You ain't seen shit!

Fuck me, I say Ed gets applauded for being brave enough to keep it under 110.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts