Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
High temp and pinging Power Vision

Hey Shark tankers,

This is a lead in to my follow-on road trip post, but for this section here is my ?

Is there any way to tune out pinging when the outside temp is 118-120. Went thru Vegas to cedar city Utah headed to Deadwood today it was a little warm. Had the PV On the handlebars with exhaust gas temp displayed and it got to 318.

Had pinging in 5th at 70, 3k-3500 it sounded like a cymbal parade. Had to run in 4th to keep rpms up and pinging to a minimum. It was especially bad.with cruise on. Even on level road and the cruise would maintain speed it would ping. Mainly with very light throttle between maintaining speed and a light touch. If I romped on it, it wouldn't ping.

2012 rgu with vh monster ovals, tru duals and big sucker, power vision, Basic auto tuned it, but not at 120 degrees outside.

Can this be tuned out or is it too hot and un- avoidable?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Load up your map in WinPV and take a look at the "spark adjust by engine temperature" parameter. If you know the MAP reading where you are getting ping, sounds like it's just above cruise, probably 60 or 70 MAP, you can pull say 5 degrees in the 291 and 320 degree row.
This will pull 5degrees of timing anytime you're above 60 MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) and 291deg temp.

Like this:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Load up your map in WinPV and take a look at the "spark adjust by engine temperature" parameter. If you know the MAP reading where you are getting ping, sounds like it's just above cruise, probably 60 or 70 MAP, you can pull say 5 degrees in the 291 and 320 degree row.
This will pull 5degrees of timing anytime you're above 60 MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) and 291deg temp.

Like this:
WOW, thanks for that info. Would've never known that was possible. Truly appreciate the time you took to answer. Not expecting those type temps til my return in 2 weeks so gives me time to apply what you wrote. Still learning how much I don't know about the wonderful world of ECM mapping.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you find yourself in this situation and have no access to a lap top, you can make an adjustment to the map from the PV itself. Go to the quick tune screen on the PV , you see various choices across the top of that display. Touch the spark tab and a screen will appear with three choices of "load area", most all problems like you were experiencing are in the medium load range. Use the down arrow in the medium range to reduce timing in that area, number of degrees changed will display in window beside arrow. When finished with adjustment, press continue to apply the change.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you find yourself in this situation and have no access to a lap top, you can make an adjustment to the map from the PV itself. Go to the quick tune screen on the PV , you see various choices across the top of that display. Touch the spark tab and a screen will appear with three choices of "load area", most all problems like you were experiencing are in the medium load range. Use the down arrow in the medium range to reduce timing in that area, number of degrees changed will display in window beside arrow. When finished with adjustment, press continue to apply the change.

Valid temporary fix, especially if you have no access to a laptop, however I wouldn't use it as a permanent fix as changing the timing this way will change it at all temperatures, not just at the extremes the OP was seeing at the time. The change I described above will change the timing ONLY when the engine temp is above the specified numbers.

Also it's my understanding that making the changes from the PV display are in addition to the map currently flashed, and do not permanently change the flashed map. If you re-flash the map those changes will not be there anymore.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Valid temporary fix, especially if you have no access to a laptop, however I wouldn't use it as a permanent fix as changing the timing this way will change it at all temperatures, not just at the extremes the OP was seeing at the time. The change I described above will change the timing ONLY when the engine temp is above the specified numbers.

Also it's my understanding that making the changes from the PV display are in addition to the map currently flashed, and do not permanently change the flashed map. If you re-flash the map those changes will not be there anymore.
Yep, not to be used as a long term fix, just suggested to get you out of a jam on the road

·
Registered
743 Posts
I cannot find "spark adjust by engine temperature"
I have updated the power vision and the WinPV software and I have the WinPV set to Pro mode.
I can only find Spark Advance for the front & rear cylinders respectively.
and they are based on RPM and MAP.
What am i missing??
Thanks In advance!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I cannot find "spark adjust by engine temperature"
I have updated the power vision and the WinPV software and I have the WinPV set to Pro mode.
I can only find Spark Advance for the front & rear cylinders respectively.
and they are based on RPM and MAP.
What am i missing??
Thanks In advance!!
Load your map in winPv and click on the spark tab, there should be "spark adjust by eng temp" showing in the drop down. If not there go to top of the page and click on the PowerVision tab, you will get a drop down list. Next to last choice will be "update tune using PV", click on that choice and see if the spark adjust by eng. temp becomes available. Hope this helps,
Tom

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Load your map in winPv and click on the spark tab, there should be "spark adjust by eng temp" showing in the drop down. If not there go to top of the page and click on the PowerVision tab, you will get a drop down list. Next to last choice will be "update tune using PV", click on that choice and see if the spark adjust by eng. temp becomes available. Hope this helps, Tom

Good advice, but note that the PV has to be connected to the computer in order to use the "update tune using PV" option.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Load your map in winPv and click on the spark tab, there should be "spark adjust by eng temp" showing in the drop down. If not there go to top of the page and click on the PowerVision tab, you will get a drop down list. Next to last choice will be "update tune using PV", click on that choice and see if the spark adjust by eng. temp becomes available. Hope this helps,
Tom
Thanks Tom! That did the trick. I really appreciate the tech support!
I will try some of the suggestions here, over the next several days and report back.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Went for a ride today (air temp. was 98 degrees). Set up the power vision to monitor MAP and ET. The engine started pinging at ET's above 260 degrees in the 60 to 70 kPa range as tdkkart predicted. I adjusted the spark tables in that range to -3.00 above 255 degrees and -5.00 above 300 degrees. I re-flashed the ECM and went for another test ride. With ET's pushing 277 degrees...... no more ping!! Thanks tdkkart & mocotom!!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Went for a ride today (air temp. was 98 degrees). Set up the power vision to monitor MAP and ET. The engine started pinging at ET's above 260 degrees in the 60 to 70 kPa range as tdkkart predicted. I adjusted the spark tables in that range to -3.00 above 255 degrees and -5.00 above 300 degrees. I re-flashed the ECM and went for another test ride. With ET's pushing 277 degrees...... no more ping!! Thanks tdkkart & mocotom!!

You are very much welcome......glad to help.

This is the kind of thing that the PV allows you to do that would otherwise take a trip back to the dealer or your other tuner-person to do.
VERY easy to do even for the least computer or mechanically savvy.
There are a couple other tuners that can do this, but not nearly this easily.
First of all, no other tuner has a built-in on-board display that would allow you to not only see, but record what the actual conditions are when the problem occurs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Ok gents, update to my original issue.

On return I flashed my new tune with timing adjusted to -3 above 264 and -5 above 290.

I set up my GUAGES to display engine temp, TP, and knock count front and rear.

In 6th going 70, TP was 20%. Outside temp about 64, On very mild grades TP went between 20-35%. Engine temp at 234-250 it counted 34 knocks rear, 29 front. So the adjustments I did by engine temp weren't even being touched since the engine temp was too low. SO, as recomended by mocotom, I did a Quicktune -2. It greatly reduced the knocks to 7 rear and 2 front. Both logs over 100 miles of highway.

Stopped in Vegas, redid the map as recommended by tdkkart but adjusted starting at 230 -3 and above 264 -5.

From Vegas to San Diego TRYING to get it to ping, 6th gear, medium grade hills, leaving cruise on, TP from 20-40% I got one knock rear in 343 miles. Et as high as 290.

You guys really saved my bacon and kept me from losing my mind. Thanks a million.

Side note. On all the knocks counted, I never heard one of them. Not like when et was 300+ and outside temp was 122. I heard them loud and clear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts