Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking this route in mid August. Looking for most scenic motorcycle friendly place to stay in Estes Park, places to eat, weather conditions going over the pass, etc. Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Taking this route in mid August. Looking for most scenic motorcycle friendly place to stay in Estes Park, places to eat, weather conditions going over the pass, etc. Thanks.

After you come out in Grand Lake, you need to look for the route that will take you thru the Poudre Valley. It's an awesome ride that you don't won't to miss. Independence Pass is another great one. Also, right off of Int. 70 is the road to Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in America and maybe the world.

·
Registered
329 Posts
After you come out in Grand Lake, you need to look for the route that will take you thru the Poudre Valley. It's an awesome ride that you don't won't to miss. Independence Pass is another great one. Also, right off of Int. 70 is the road to Mt. Evans, the highest paved road in America and maybe the world.
Beautiful area. I hope to return there one day, this time on my RGS. The last and only time I rode up Mt. Evans was back in 1978...on a freekin' bicycle:eek:...well it was more of a bike-n-hike as I approached Summit Lake and beyond...the elevation of the paved switchbacks to the geodetic benchmark pin at the true summit were brutal to my mind and body:eek::eek::eek:...but man the scenery was GORGEOUS!!!:)

·
Registered
383 Posts

We stayed at the Stanley Hotel last summer in Estes Park. http://www.stanleyhotel.com , cool old "haunted" hotel. Food was good here and they have a scotch/bourbon bar out of this world! Hotel that the book the Shining was written. They let me photo my bike in front of.

[/URL][/IMG]

The bar...
[/URL][/IMG]

Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park
[/URL][/IMG]

It will be chilly, bring leathers and heated gear if you have it! We'll be through there on our way to Sturgis the end of July. Stop at Grand Lake Lodge and enjoy a lunch overlooking the lake. Great place! Enjoy!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Lodging is pretty much all bike friendly, not gonna fine covered parking as far as i know. Eateries all depend on your mood. Wheel Bar does a decent burger, downtown Estes. Big Horn has great diner type food at a good price, west end of downtown. Dunraven Inn last time i stopped did a good surf and turf/ italian fare, southwest of town on rd66.

Wether can be anything from bright sun to torrential downpour that time of year. Ask Straymutt about passing trough last year for shark week. Prepare for anything i the mountains, should be no snow though!

Which way are you passing through? East or west, to or from steamboat, glenwood? Enjoy it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Bump on what Shemp has to say. The weather can always be a factor up here, but we rarely see snow in August (even at altitude). Lot's of great rides but all depends on the amount of time you have and where you are basing out of. Estes gets crowded, and the road through the park over Trail Ridge has lot's of tourists, it is a ride to remember. Always have your leathers and rain gear, and remember to drink plenty of water as dehydration is vicious.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just got back from there on Wednesday. For food....

Text Font Suidae T-shirt Domestic pig

We didn't need heated gear, but then again we are northerners, maybe you southern boys would need it. Lol.

Mountainous landforms Mountain range Motorcycle Vehicle Mountain pass

Beautiful area, great views from any angle.

Mountainous landforms Mountain range Mountain Sky Ridge

It's a tourist town, so plan to pay accordingly.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

Poudre Valley is unforgettable. Lots of great rides out there. I miss the few years spent living in Denver.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
We stayed at the Stanley Hotel last summer in Estes Park. http://www.stanleyhotel.com , cool old "haunted" hotel. Food was good here and they have a scotch/bourbon bar out of this world! Hotel that the book the Shining was written.
True, the Stanley was the inspiration for King's Overlook Hotel.
But the hotel in the movie was actually the Timberline Lodge on the slopes of Mt Hood in Oregon (outside scenes). The interior was all movie sets in England, modeled after the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have been going to Estes Park since my youth, 1959 in fact, and owned a place out there until 2007. Beautiful area with lots to do. There are many lodging and dining options in Estes Park that time of year, but look into making reservations for lodging. Hwy 34 through RMNP, otherwise known as Trail Ridge Road, is fantastic. Be mindful of the traffic and the scenery. People love to stop when they see wildlife or a view they want a pic of. The weather in August should be warm but afternoon storms are unpredictable in the mountains and at higher elevations it can get cooler especially in the late afternoon.

From Estes to Grand Lake is a straight forward, but very curved road ride on 34. Be sure to stop at the visitor center near the top of Trail Ridge Road. Once out of the Nat'l Park beyond Grand Lake and Shadow Mountain Lake, you have options to take for different scenery and roads at Granby. Depends on how far you want to travel and what you want to see.

Hwy 40 West to Kremmling, Steamboat and Craig sets you up to take Hwy 13 down to Rifle and across to Glenwood Springs to head to Aspen and Independence Pass on Hwy 82. Or, from Granby you can loop up on 125 to Walden and take 14, The Poudre Canyon Road, back east to Ft. Collins.

The other direction on Hwy 40 takes you through Winter Park and down to I-70 back east to Idaho Springs where you can pick up Rte 103 and then to Rte 5, the Mt. Evans Road.

There are no bad choices out there and once you have ridden a route you will go out and ride another at some point. I have never tired of riding Colorado and have covered much of the state because of that...enjoy!

Here are a couple of pics from a few years ago on the very yellow CVO EG. One nearing the top of Trail Ridge Road (that's me in the lower right of the pic) and the other with friends at Independence Pass.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bringing back a flood of memories....I stayed at a youth-hostel in Shadow Lake(?) whle on that bicycle ride and was invited to participate in a wedding that overlooked the lake...invited by total strangers jus' cuz'...it was a wonderful idyllic setting... the hostel was right next to a babbling brook....awesome!

·
Registered
220 Posts
We've been going there for years now. If you are not familiar with engine braking, and riding steep winding roads, watch your step till you get the hang of it. There are some decreasing radius turns scattered throughout the area that will get an experienced mountain rider in trouble if they're not paying close attention. We have stayed in many places in/around Estes, and the most fun we had while off the bike were at a place called Nickys Resort. It's a couple miles out of Estes on 34 highway, on the way to the entrance to the park. The river that runs right thru the resort is the same one running thru downtown Estes Park. Reasonable rates, biker friendly owners, and a top-notch restaurant and lounge on the premises. Food in the restaurant is a little pricey, but worth it. Close to Estes, but out of town, and just a few miles to the park entrance, on the road over the top and on out to Grand Lake.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,803 Posts
I lived in the Boulder, CO. area for 10 years and rode the front range extensively. I'd just add a couple of things:

Watch out for deer especially as sundown approaches.

Be extra careful riding any of the passes during or after a rain shower. The roads have many sharp curves that you can't see around at all because it's sheer rock, and sand and small rocks can be dislodged during a storm by rain run-off and larger rocks can tumble downhill and end up right in your lane. What ends up on the road can range from pebbles all the way to house sized rocks. Not trying to scare you, but rocks in the road is a fairly standard road hazard right after a storm.

Dress/pack in layers, you never know what you're going to run into in a single day's ride. I've gone from 75 degrees in Denver to rain, sleet, and 1 1/2" of granular snow in 40 miles.

If you get to the western slope at all you need to check out US Rte. 550 from Montrose through Ouray down to Silverton and then Durango. If you thought the roads and views on the eastern slope were spectacular, the western slope will blow your mind. If you can, spend a night in Ouray - the town looks like it was cut out of the ALPS and placed there. Silverton is a great lunch stop. Silverton to Durango Rail Road ride is very unique. Puebla cave dwellings just outside of Durango are worth spending at least 1/2 a day at.

Enjoy!

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good to hear the Wheel Bar is still there. I rode out there in 1975 on a brand new Superglide, really had a good time in that bar. wonderful riding area. In the fall watch out for the elk, during the rut they're everywhere.

·
Registered
896 Posts
No to hijack the thread, but I'll be headed through Colorado on my way to Sturgis (spending the night around Ft. Collins then making our way to the northwest corner of the state before heading up through Yellowstone before running east through WY to the Sturgis area).

To spend a day riding the Colorado mountains, I was thinking of (starting on the east slope) Route 34 to Route 40, then ride down past the Twin Lakes and take Route 82 to Aspen. That looks like a full day of riding, then day 2 just making time and get to the Jackson, WY area.

Does anyone have a better suggestion of routes to see? I guess the goal here is to travel from Ft Collins, CO to Jackson, WY in 2 days while seeing some spectacular Colorado scenery. Silverton area looks like it will be too far south for us.

(Looking back, it appears that my route roughly covers what Throttles&Triggers suggested, just that my way brings me across Route 82 from east to west)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lodging is pretty much all bike friendly, not gonna fine covered parking as far as i know. Eateries all depend on your mood. Wheel Bar does a decent burger, downtown Estes. Big Horn has great diner type food at a good price, west end of downtown. Dunraven Inn last time i stopped did a good surf and turf/ italian fare, southwest of town on rd66.

Wether can be anything from bright sun to torrential downpour that time of year. Ask Straymutt about passing trough last year for shark week. Prepare for anything i the mountains, should be no snow though!

Which way are you passing through? East or west, to or from steamboat, glenwood? Enjoy it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.