Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here.

I have a 2013 with a mildly upgraded stereo system. I installed (2) 6.5 in speakers driven by a Rockford Fosgate punch 75. All has been working well until I hit a pothole on my way back from Sturgis. Head unit was on, but I had no sound. After 4000 miles in 11 days, I didn't feel like messing with it, so the bike sat for a week or so before I decided to troubleshoot the problem. Fortunately, when I went into the garage to begin I turned the key on and the problem had fixed itself.

Fast forward 30 days and I went over a pretty good bump and sound turned off again, but this time it didn't fix itself. I pulled the fairing off and verified that I had power to the amp but the amp still wasn't coming on. I suspected a bad amp so I got a new one and plugged it in, but it wouldn't power up either. I think the head unit sends a signal to the amp to come on, so might I have a bad head unit?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Check the blue wire. It's always the blue wire.

The blue wire out of a head unit turns on an amp, or sends an automatic antenna up.

Don't know for sure, but might be worth looking.

Also, I noticed the cable on the back of the stock head unit abrades against the outer fairing on my bike. I put some padding there to protect the wires.

·
Registered
129 Posts
make sure speaker and amp wires are not hitting anything to ground thus shutting system down. that was my problem, amp was bumping speaker terminals in saddlebag....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts