Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I was out enjoying today on a ride (Sunday) and all of a sudden I hit a deep pot hole. Deep enough to make the right side speaker pop out. I guess I thought everything was still ok until I pulled into a rest stop. Getting ready to continue I noticed the front tire was flat. Turns out the rim is also bent. Took forever to get a flat bed to Gengras Harley from Madison CT. Joe Barone, the GM at Gengras and Steve from parts waited for an hour after closing and set me up with a loaner.

As I was parking the bike (the tow guy was able to re inflate the tire enough so I could roll the bike into the garage) I noticed that the front fork hit the frame when you turn the handlebars.

My question....anyone have any thoughts on being able to fully fix the bike? Tire and rim no problem (had the tire coverage). What about the front fork? Is it easy to realign or do you think it will need more? I will know more on Tuesday when they reopen. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
First, good thing you didn't go down. Could have been worse. Imagine if you had been riding no hands with your feet on the bars. :wink:

With that bad of a hit I would want to pull the forks and make sure they are true, Also might want to check the frame around the neck to make sure there are no cracks, and maybe check the steering head bearings.

Put it all back together and see how it runs.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
First, good thing you didn't go down. Could have been worse. Imagine if you had been riding no hands with your feet on the bars. :wink:

With that bad of a hit I would want to pull the forks and make sure they are true, Also might want to check the frame around the neck to make sure there are no cracks, and maybe check the steering head bearings.

Put it all back together and see how it runs.
Ditto on this^^^^^^

I was headed down your way next weekend, guess I better keep my eyes open. Have a bud in woodstock, that whole east/northeast section of the state has awesome roads and riding.

Glad it was not worse than it was. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Assuming you have collision coverage on your bike............

You should have the other potential damage points thoroughly inspected for safety reasons. If you start finding damage beyond just the tire, it might save you some $ to file a claim with your auto insurance company. You'll still have to pay the deductible (collision) but wheels, forks, frames etc. can be a pretty expensive proposition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts