Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to install a Zumo 665 in my 2012 RGU. Book says I need to plug into the front aux jack to hear the XM from the 665 or mod radio for external rear aux jack. But I am thinking that the radio is already wired to accept the HD XM radio. Has anyone added wires into the HK radio 35 pin connector or used the ultra overlay wiring kit (comes with the XM radio) or I have seen refernce to a 12 pin connector, to connect the 665 xm audio to the HK radios XM audio in, thus making the radio think there is an XM radio installed? Update I alos see an HD part number 70172-06 that implies it will connect, but will still need to know how to make the radio think the XM is plugged in. My guess is this is either +12V or a ground jumper within the XM radio to the XM connector.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have the XM module and needed to purchase the Ultra overlay harness in order to make it work. Now this harness came off of my 2006 ultra classic which has connections for bBluetooth devices which they offered then but no longer now. Which brings me to the point that maybe the newer overlay harness or the smaller version of this harness which allows for just one addition to the OEM radio may allow you to do what your lookingto do with rthis 665.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am going to install a Zumo 665 in my 2012 RGU. Book says I need to plug into the front aux jack to hear the XM from the 665 or mod radio for external rear aux jack. But I am thinking that the radio is already wired to accept the HD XM radio. Has anyone added wires into the HK radio 35 pin connector or used the ultra overlay wiring kit (comes with the XM radio) or I have seen refernce to a 12 pin connector, to connect the 665 xm audio to the HK radios XM audio in, thus making the radio think there is an XM radio installed? Update I alos see an HD part number 70172-06 that implies it will connect, but will still need to know how to make the radio think the XM is plugged in. My guess is this is either +12V or a ground jumper within the XM radio to the XM connector.

The radio uses CAN Data bus to recognize the XM module is installed, not just voltage or ground.
Without the proper CAN signal, you wont get audio out of those inputs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks follow up question

I see coming out of the HD XM radio there is only a 12 pin connector. Is this the CAN Data Bus?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The pins for the CAN data buss is part of the 12 pin connecter. The Zumo does not use it and the radio will not recognize the XM from the Zumo.
Your stuck using the backend mod if you don’t want to use the front . The Can Data buss is a digital signal that the HK radio and the Garmin/XM radio uses to “talk” to each other
BY THE WAY you might want to play with different mounting locations for the Garmin/XM receiver. I had a hell of a time finding one that wouldn’t drop the signal if a bird flew over..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts