Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just installed Hertz HCX 165s and the RF PBR300x2 running the high level inputs. Gains set at 5. sounds good, but the stock HK leaves so much to be desired. Sounds good but not great. My main gripe is anything above half volume starts distorting seemingly no matter where I set the gain at on the RF amp. Is it due to the stock HK internal amp is clipping the signal really bad?

Will sound quality really benefit from an aftermarket head unit and changing to rca pre amp inputs for the RF amp.

Im leaning towards the Alipine CDE-HD149BT. I really want blue tooth and ipod interface.

Whats everyones experience with the stock HK setup with an amp. Iv never liked high level inputs at all.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Plan on hooking up the same amp soon. Look forward to any responses.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Use the PBR 300x2, same issues with HK, swapped out for a Sony. Still have some issues above 60% volume, but much better than the HK. Need to find time to tune the RF and Sony. Overall the HK is crap in my opinion.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Go with the Alpine..... Sell your unit on E-bay to make up the cost of the aftermarket unit and the adapter kit.... you will be happy and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
To the defense of the HK unit, if you had RCA's put in it, it would work better with other amps besides the RF, this is a known problem, but an aftermarket head unit will still give you much better sound and more versatility.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I ran a Hawg Wired amp/5.25 speakers set up with my HK and noticed clipping around 75% volume, but that was loud enough to overcome wind at about 50-60mph. Over that speed the wind took over.

I just did a full overhaul to Alpine 149BT, Hertz KSK 165XL, RF PBR300x2, and the sound is much better. No clipping at any volume, and I can still hear at 80mph (my standard cruising speed). Will be even better when I switch to my touring shield (12" Windvest). BTW, Also switched to Hertz HCX 6x9s running off another RF PBR300x2.

Plan on about $250 for the Alpine and another $250 for the DIN adapter & Hand control unit. Well worth the money. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

How does the RF PBR300x2 do with low level pre amp inputs. I heard that they don't do so well. Is this true?

Also, read that Biketronics hand control adapters have issues not working correctly. Any truth to this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Food for thought. . . . Changing the head unit will help some by giving you a 4V signal. But the real problem is that your Hertz speakers are underpowered with the X2. To get the optimum performance out the Hertz speakers @ 100 rms you need to upgrade to the Biketronics 2180 @ 180 watts per channel. The X2 is only 100 watts @ 4 Ohms and the Hertz speakers are power hungry. If you notice. ... You presently have to turn your gains up to at least 7 on the X2 for the system to sound decent. Been there done that with the Biketronics titan 2 speakers. I'm no expert by any means but I'm the resident installer for many of my riding buddies and I've learned a lot of this stuff by making tons of mistakes and spending tons of money to fix it. . . lol What I try to do is keep these guys new to audio on a bike from making the same mistakes I made so they only have to do it once.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ok, I just installed Hertz HCX 165s and the RF PBR300x2 running the high level inputs. Gains set at 5. sounds good, but the stock HK leaves so much to be desired. Sounds good but not great. My main gripe is anything above half volume starts distorting seemingly no matter where I set the gain at on the RF amp. Is it due to the stock HK internal amp is clipping the signal really bad?

Will sound quality really benefit from an aftermarket head unit and changing to rca pre amp inputs for the RF amp.

Im leaning towards the Alipine CDE-HD149BT. I really want blue tooth and ipod interface.

Whats everyones experience with the stock HK setup with an amp. Iv never liked high level inputs at all.
Send the HK to Iron Cross Audio for the preamp outs. The sound that you are looking for without any of the drawbacks of aftermarket head units

ironcrossaudio.com/

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Send the HK to Iron Cross Audio for the preamp outs. The sound that you are looking for without any of the drawbacks of aftermarket head units

ironcrossaudio.com/
What drawbacks of after market head units? Iron cross will make a difference, but not for the RF amps, it's well documented and I can tell you from personal experience the RF doesn't work well with the low rca inputs.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
672 Posts
The complaint roster of the pbr amps just keeps getting higher. Ive had no clipping issues with my Soundstream and stock unit at all. Glad I went this route now.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Almost be willing to say the 'New' Power Series R/F's Amp should be a W-H-O-L-E lot better,...but aint heard one yet.
Even with the R/F Punch Amp, ur making the H/K the weakest Link.
Aftermarket Head Units are not a waste of Money, and I'd venture to say the new Infotainment Center on the Rushmore Models, prolly lack severly!???
Dont know bout them either, just saying,....

·
Registered
82 Posts
The RF amps are terrible. Low level inputs from any source ( we tried Sony and Alpine) just don't sound right. Iron Cross Audio will even advise against the installation if that's the amp you wanted to use.
We use the ICA pre-amps on ARC Audio, J&M, Biketronics...all sound great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Food for thought. . . . Changing the head unit will help some by giving you a 4V signal. But the real problem is that your Hertz speakers are underpowered with the X2. To get the optimum performance out the Hertz speakers @ 100 rms you need to upgrade to the Biketronics 2180 @ 180 watts per channel. The X2 is only 100 watts @ 4 Ohms and the Hertz speakers are power hungry. If you notice. ... You presently have to turn your gains up to at least 7 on the X2 for the system to sound decent. Been there done that with the Biketronics titan 2 speakers. I'm no expert by any means but I'm the resident installer for many of my riding buddies and I've learned a lot of this stuff by making tons of mistakes and spending tons of money to fix it. . . lol What I try to do is keep these guys new to audio on a bike from making the same mistakes I made so they only have to do it once.

Um, i dont under stand your math here. The hertz are rated for 100 watts rms 200 peak. The RF puts out 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms. Seems im supplying all the power they need. And actually my spec sheet states that its test output was 140 rms. Also my gains are set at 5. I have no issues with sound from them. Sound great until i get above half volume on the stock HK unit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Um, i dont under stand your math here. The hertz are rated for 100 watts rms 200 peak. The RF puts out 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms. Seems im supplying all the power they need. And actually my spec sheet states that its test output was 140 rms. Also my gains are set at 5. I have no issues with sound from them. Sound great until i get above half volume on the stock HK unit.
LOL I know Right? Has nothing to do with math Sir. . . Certain speakers like certain amps and I can't explain it mathematically either but the X2 at 4 ohms will not give you the sound you're looking for with the Hertz speakers even with a 4V signal. The PBR is excellent with 2 ohm speakers like the POLK MM651 and the Infinity 62.11i's Not so much with 4 ohm speakers. I've installed many of these for my buddies and they always come back to me with same issue you are having even though I tell them the same thing I'm telling you. . . The Fosgate is underpowered at 4 ohms unless the speakers are 94/95 sensitivity. The only reason yours sounds good half volume is due to the Hertz having a 92 sensitivity rating. As I said I'm not an expert. I've just installed so many of these things I know what works and what doesn't. Trying to save you some grief. You might ask some of the experts on here why your system is clipping at half volume. I'm sure they will be more than happy to chime in. But that has been my experience with the X2 Sir. Thanks for hearing me out and Good luck with what ever decision you make!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What drawbacks of after market head units? Iron cross will make a difference, but not for the RF amps, it's well documented and I can tell you from personal experience the RF doesn't work well with the low rca inputs.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Some have had issues w/ the aftermarket hand control interfaces, and water intrusion, even with 'marine' units.

Even ICA told me about the RFs, I thought the OP had something other than RFs.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The RF amps are terrible. Low level inputs from any source ( we tried Sony and Alpine) just don't sound right. Iron Cross Audio will even advise against the installation if that's the amp you wanted to use.
We use the ICA pre-amps on ARC Audio, J&M, Biketronics...all sound great.
My sentiments exactly...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, all I can say, is if the RF amp doesn't perform after I install an aftermarket head unit (which I plan to do regardless) I can always sell and get my money out of it. I only paid $142 from amazon for it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts