Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new pin and patch the other day, and guess we don’t get an atlas anymore, always had the latest one in the tourpak. HD cutting costs I guess.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Got my new pin and patch the other day, and guess we don’t get an atlas anymore, always had the latest one in the tourpak. HD cutting costs I guess.
it's a new company "green" policy—
they keep more green and we get less value lol

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
They want you to use the new phone app. Not being smart here, but who uses maps any more? 😀
Old fart ex-truckers "like me"......only speaking for myself obviously.....I know at least ONE....O'.....he's a current trucker "old-fart"; @JacktheBagger who uses techno appy stuff. :grin::grin::laugh::laugh::wink:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Old fart ex-truckers "like me"......only speaking for myself obviously.....I know at least ONE....O'.....he's a current trucker "old-fart"; @JacktheBagger who uses techno appy stuff. :grin::grin::laugh::laugh::wink:
Me too! Would never travel anywhere without one. Never use or ever had gps on a bike before and probably never will. Biggest part of the fun touring is studying maps and planning the next day. I guess they eventually will give up on owners manuals too to save trees lol

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't usually purchase the HOG memberships anymore, but for the purchase of my '19 back in May I received a complimentary 1 year. Mine came with a map and is dated 2019. I will carry a map on longer trips so that way if I have some down time in a restaurant or in a hotel room on the trip I can do a little catch up and plan ahead before I go back to GPS routing. When I retire one of the HOG maps it will sit beside my throne so when business is being conducted I will look at future planning.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Have a STACK of these things that come in the mail every year and serve as I call it, the basis for our LPS's in the kitchen.....aka, LPS = "Little Pile of Shit" that accumulates - Never once used them and will go as far as to say, the Harley App is great - After getting rid of the CVO and rolling the ST with my phone supplying the GPS and the HD App for routes and destinations......all good and if I ever get to a place where I don;'t have Signal for my Phone....that's on me to find a Gas Station and get a Map

Paper is going away in MANY forms ladies and this is just another example thereof

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Guess I am a old fucker too, I loved those maps way have one in my saddle bag, what are they gonna cut next the magazine, geez.
Ya, I like to have a paper map along too. I carry a RM map book with me and for a planned trip, I'll send off to the states involved for maps.

The new scooters having GPS takes care of the being lost part, and they fill the need of the HOG book for finding a dealer out on the slab. But paper maps are still king when you just want to head off and avoid the urban sprawl.

As for the magazine, base on the last two, they already killed it as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i'll admit that google maps is a great app, but at the rate things are going, you're gonna have to watch a commercial everytime you access a location.
you-tube is slowly becoming pay-per-view, too.

"saving trees" is a false narrative.

like "saving money" with self-serve gas. remember that???

i got a free year subscription, too, and that and 20¢ will buy you a cup of Jack's coffee...

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use to keep on in the bag too, never really used it. I always thought the maps were to small to do any real route planning anyway.

The app has a few issues, but with the ability to use it pretty easily in conjunction with the BOOM GTS and the on line route planner I find it way more useful.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The GPS is a tool, nothing more. I've been put in some pretty dangerous situations riding with someone who blindly follows a GPS. I believe some would literally follow them off a cliff. I have seen guys looking directly at a road sign that says turn left, but the GPS says go right, so they do. Then they do a u-turn in 50 ft. A GPS is OK if you have a general idea where you're going but blindly going where you've never been before without at least glancing at a map is a bad plan.

Saying that I really don't consider the Harley map much of a map. It'll give you a general idea of where the Harley dealers are and major roads. It rarely shows you the best rides in any state.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have the HOG map with me too. That was many years ago. Between navi on the bike and smart phones, the maps became fairly useless. A map is fine, but if you are really lost, a map can't tell you where you ARE. A smart phone can show your location currently and then you can much more easily see where you need to be. Just like newspapers, paper maps are becoming a part of the past.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Have a STACK of these things that come in the mail every year and serve as I call it, the basis for our LPS's in the kitchen.....aka, LPS = "Little Pile of Shit" that accumulates - Never once used them and will go as far as to say, the Harley App is great - After getting rid of the CVO and rolling the ST with my phone supplying the GPS and the HD App for routes and destinations......all good and if I ever get to a place where I don;'t have Signal for my Phone....that's on me to find a Gas Station and get a Map

Paper is going away in MANY forms ladies and this is just another example thereof
I just threw away 2004 to 2014. Since GPS allows me to blindly go anywhere, I haven't opened a map in years. That has to be one of the most expensive components of the HOG membership. I guess we should see the membership fee lowered next year. (Yes, that was a joke.)

Except for ½ hour I read the Harley Davidson propaganda magazine that comes 5 times a year, I have no use for HOG.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

Hey....my name might be Jackie, but calling me a lady....well, that's just not cool "whipper-snapper" !! :laugh::laugh::laugh::wink:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I won't miss the HD "so-called" atlas; but please don't take my magazine: I like the pics & the articles! When planning a trip to a totally new part of the country I go to the nearest truck stop and buy the "current year" truckers road atlas. As up to date as you'll get,(on paper)! LOL

1 - 20 of 53 Posts