Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I admit that I was a little intimidated about doing an "amplified" audio system upgrade on my RGC myself, but I decided to grow a pair and pull the trigger. Well, I just finished the install, and have to say that (#1) the install was not that bad at all, and (#2) the upgrade is a big improvement over stock. It went from non-amped 5.25" speakers to 5x7" speakers with 2-channel amplifier.

My seat is currently en route to Mean City Cycles for a passenger seat mod, so I cannot take the bike for a freeway ride yet, but I can still provide a "basic" assessment of the improvement. In a nutshell, it plays noticeably louder, maybe 30%-40%, and when its turned up high, it no longer distorts. With my 12" WindVest, I'm sure I'll be able to hear the tunes at freeway speed now, which was my goal, but I will report back once I get my seat back from MCC and can take it for a freeway ride.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Job man, I installed mine about a year ago and I'm happy with it still. How did getting fairing back on go for u? It was driving me nuts. Enjoy the improved sounds.
I actually havn't put it back on yet, as I still need to zip tie the wires. Since I won't have my seat back from MCC for about 10 days, I'm in no rush. With all the down time, I may decide to rig up a garage door opener switch or something. I'm trying to be creative.....

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I installed my Hog Tunes with the amp back in 09 and the mounting bracket for the amp covered the light adjustment opening so I had to cut the bracket some. I contacted Hog Tunes and sent them pics of the problem. Does the amp mounting bracket still cover the opening for the headlight adjustment screw or did Hog Tunes modify the mounting bracket ??

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I actually havn't put it back on yet, as I still need to zip tie the wires. Since I won't have my seat back from MCC for about 10 days, I'm in no rush. With all the down time, I may decide to rig up a garage door opener switch or something. I'm trying to be creative.....
With the new amp installed your probably going to have a little more problems getting your outer fairing back on . Remove your head light bucket to line up hooks and push hard.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Had mine for a week now sounds great, but I just washed the bike yesterday & now getting real bad scratching sounds, so bad I had to turn it off. WTF! Anyway, that's why I'm glad I had the dealer do it, cause its going back first thing in the morn.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congrats Tek, I love mine - put speakers in the lowers and added the tweeter pod too, really helped fill the air....

I installed my Hog Tunes with the amp back in 09
and the mounting bracket for the amp covered the light adjustment opening so I had to cut the bracket some. I contacted Hog Tunes and sent them pics of the problem. Does the amp mounting bracket still cover the opening for the headlight adjustment screw or did Hog Tunes modify the mounting bracket ??
Yup, they were listening - here is a shot of the beginning my install...

Dirk

[/IMG]

·
Registered
826 Posts
Congrats Tek, I love mine - put speakers in the lowers and added the tweeter pod too, really helped fill the air....

Dirk

[/IMG]
Too bad that bracket is messed up as well. The slot is going the wrong way. I ended up cutting it off so the signal wiring wouldn't get any more messed up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not gonna touch it today, but I'll snap a couple pics before reinstalling the fairing and report back here.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Thats great that Hog Tune took my advice!!! my amp mounting bracket attached to the inner fairing mounting bolts so it is right next to the radio.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Which kit is that.. You got the commo kit right.. the 5x7 with the 24x2 amp.. right?

You didnt upgrade to the 40x2.. did you?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
That new bracket placement makes much better sense than the old placement behind the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got part# 4405-0206 and it mounts sideways and is positioned to the right side of the front end, about mid height bewtween the right 5x7 and the stereo. The amp mounting plate has a bend on it to make the amp hug the bike. I don't foresee any install issues of the fairing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ya that is what I though! Im glad you enjoy it.. I have been researching stereo systems for while now.. The J and M will take WAY too long to get.. I dont mind the Boom Audio. But i want a inner faring amp with it... Hogtunes is the best price..

I will go with that then!! Thank man!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya that is what I though! Im glad you enjoy it.. I have been researching stereo systems for while now.. The J and M will take WAY too long to get.. I dont mind the Boom Audio. But i want a inner faring amp with it... Hogtunes is the best price..

I will go with that then!! Thank man!
I picked it up on Ebay for $243 + $12.95 s/h from Kustom Emporium. Best deal around and I confirmed it was New / Not Refurbished prior to bidding.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Which kit is that.. You got the commo kit right.. the 5x7 with the 24x2 amp.. right?

You didnt upgrade to the 40x2.. did you?
The photo I posted is of their NCA 40.4 amp - 40 watts x 4 channels, makes all the diff if you want to upgrade with more speakers.... I like the Hog Tunes price point too, compared to some of the other offerings - mine is plenty loud for me with TD's and clear to max volume....

Dirk

·
Registered
6,583 Posts

Dirk

[/IMG]
That looks like they utilize the fairing mounts to attach the amp mounting bracket. The 08 bikes use those hole for the turn signals/running lights, so this mounting application will not work on my bike. I haven't looked to close at the newer RG,s where do the mount the turn signals/running lights??

·
Registered
206 Posts
Too bad that bracket is messed up as well. The slot is going the wrong way. I ended up cutting it off so the signal wiring wouldn't get any more messed up.
That looks like they utilize the fairing mounts to attach the amp mounting bracket. The 08 bikes use those hole for the turn signals/running lights, so this mounting application will not work on my bike. I haven't looked to close at the newer RG,s where do the mount the turn signals/running lights??
That 45* slot opening you see between the fairing mounting plate bolts is the wire pass thru. My ride is a '03 that I have upgraded to the 2010 spec, but both my original '03 the new '10 fairing support brackets wire openings line up with that slot...... ;)

Dirk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does the Hogtunes tweeter pod really add $200 worth of sound quality to the rest of the Hogtunes kits?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts