Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a lot of threads here there seems to be an issue with the hog tunes speakers producing a scratching noise after getting wet. I would like to do the upgrade to the 24.2 amp and speakers as the price is the most reasonable but I'm unclear about where the amp mounts (over radio or right side fairing?). Have 20W per channel now with J&Ms is moving to 32/channel worth $300?
:confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
After reading a lot of threads here there seems to be an issue with the hog tunes speakers producing a scratching noise after getting wet. I would like to do the upgrade to the 24.2 amp and speakers as the price is the most reasonable but I'm unclear about where the amp mounts (over radio or right side fairing?). Have 20W per channel now with J&Ms is moving to 32/channel worth $300?
I have been riding with the Hogtunes 5.25" speakers and 32w amp for 2 years now. This Thursday I should have the new J & M Rokker Speakers to go with the HT amp. The Hogtunes package is a big step up from stock and I did enjoy it, but I installed the standard J & M 7.25s in my wife's SG without amp and I felt the performance was as good as my package. Her speakers were 200 and my package 300 so I felt the J & Ms were the better bang for the buck. I found the Rokkers for $270 shipped so I am going to go that route with my current amp in hopes I really upping the performance at speed. The Hogtunes mounting kit has the amp mounted on the side of the fairing. At least that is where mine is. If you have the J & M 7.25s without amp I don't think you'll see much if any improvement with the HT package.

Having said that I understand the new Hogtunes play 20% louder than my model, but I haven't heard that my self to confirm it, so maybe they are now a bit better.

I should have something to say about the Rokkers in a week or so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where have you read about HT speakers sounding scratchy when getting wet? The reason I ask is because my gf HT speakers in her SG just started doing this. They are not blown because when I crank them up the sound goes away and they sound ok, but at lower volume they sound blown. I guess I should the one sounds blown the other one is fine.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where have you read about HT speakers sounding scratchy when getting wet? The reason I ask is because my gf HT speakers in her SG just started doing this. They are not blown because when I crank them up the sound goes away and they sound ok, but at lower volume they sound blown. I guess I should the one sounds blown the other one is fine.
Here is one thread... there may be others under Road Glide Audio...

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=7250

·
Registered
931 Posts
That was my post, the dealer has been very good about it so far and said they have never heard of this before. Had it in for some warranty work Sat. and while they had the fairing off the taped all the connectors and put some extra dio-electric greese on the plugs. The tech said he thinks the amp itself is getting wet. It started only a week after the install, so they were very receptive to diving back into it. Doesn't happen all the time, washed it last weekend and everything was fine. Other than that I am happy with the set up.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I have the HT 32 w amp and 5x7 speakers and got caught in the rain a few times and wash jobs. So far I have not noticed any problems. Are you running the bigger 5x7 HTs or the 5'' round ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the HT 32 w amp and 5x7 speakers and got caught in the rain a few times and wash jobs. So far I have not noticed any problems. Are you running the bigger 5x7 HTs or the 5'' round ?
did not know if you were asking me or the op but mine are in my gf street glide and they are the 5in round speakers. just checked them again and the one still crackles.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I am running the 5x7 in the dash & changed the ones in the TP, & put 7" subs in the lowers.

did not know if you were asking me or the op but mine are in my gf street glide and they are the 5in round speakers. just checked them again and the one still crackles.
Lowdog- just an FYI, the HT speakers have a 20 yr warranty so at any rate i'd pull the one crackling and send it back.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Lowdog- just an FYI, the HT speakers have a 20 yr warranty so at any rate i'd pull the one crackling and send it back.[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten that thanks.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have the HT 5x7 with amp and never heard a scratching noise in the speakers when wet and I have rode in the rain and washed the bike many times. I also had the 5.25" round speakers and never had any scratching noise with them. It depends on what year bike you have when it comes to mounting, on the newer bikes the amp is mounted on the side of the inner fairing utilizing the fairing mounting bracket on my 08 the mounting bracket was right next to the radio on the right hand side of the bike (throttle side) utilizing the main inner fairing mounting bracket. I would suggest calling HT and talking to Pez he can answer all your questions

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just talked to HT's about my issues and he was extremely helpful. He said they have an '09 RG shop bike with that same system and have never had or heard of this issue. However he gave me some ideas to look for the next time this happens to narrow the problem down and that he would do whatever it takes to make sure that the problem is taken care of. :)
It helps to know a company cares about the customers who are buying and using their products. A++

1 - 11 of 11 Posts