Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys I bought my 12 rgu in may,rode it all summer and the sound system sucks,it has the stock head unit,front hogtunes rear hogtunes and there amp I think its 160 4 channel,plus the tweeter setup beside tach/speedo,is there anything that can make this system louder and clear or pull it out and start over,lol??

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I have a hog tunes amp & speaker kit, and I will say it is much better than the stock setup. With that said there are better performing units out there IMO. I think Hawg Wired and J & M both have better systems, but they also cost more.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I had a Hog Tune 2 channel system and upgraded to the J&M system. The main reason I went to J&M is because they offered a larger amp & my bike exhaust is real loud so more audio helped. With the HT system you are running you are only putting 40 watts max to each speaker going with a larger amp such as a J&M 500 watt 4 channel amp would give you 125 watts max to each speaker which should help bring up your audio. If you check the max watts on the HT speakers you may be able to use them if they are rated above 125 watts, if not you would have to upgrade the speakers too.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
I have a hog tunes amp & speaker kit, and I will say it is much better than the stock setup. With that said there are better performing units out there IMO. I think Hawg Wired and J & M both have better systems, but they also cost more.
What he said.
It hard to beat it for the bottom dollar. They also have a great warranty. I had my HT system for three years no problems. 5x7 speakers with the 32 watt amp. The new ones are a little more powerful too. If you want more sound then the HT delivers, the sky is the limit. All it takes is money :) .

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not so sure I like this thread. I just bought my first glide, and first thing I did was get the Hogtunes 5x7 speaker and amp kit. I also just ordered a new Sony head unit, and I'm thinking about the Hogtunes tweeterpod kit. Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong move. Maybe a newer/bigger/stronger amp is in my future. I'm learning along the way, but I don't want it to be expensive learning. LOL!

·
Registered
304 Posts
You really should do some research before you go that route. Many better options out there for not a lot more money if you can find someone that knows what they are doing. IMHO the stuff you are looking at does not perform at a level that makes it worth the money. I understand that the better options do cost more but have a huge difference when you are at speed. The hog tunes sound ok when the bike is stationary but not much better then stock at speed. The others are a world different..

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kinda what I'm starting to understand. Thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate it. I'm learning along the way.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I can tell you that my Experience with HogTunes is excellent. My radio was useless in my Custom over 65, now with the 5x7's with 140 watt amp I have crystal clear tunes at 80, at half volume.

I'm guessing some of these folks had older setups, I just put mine in over the summer, so it was one of the newer setups.

·
Registered
444 Posts
BTW, I don't think 160 watts divided four ways is going to do much for you either.

I am running the 140 two ways and it's great.
Does that mean I'd need another amp? Sorry for being so naïve. I'm very new to this. I don't want somebody to think I'm trolling to piss people off. LOL!

·
Registered
852 Posts
You really should do some research before you go that route. Many better options out there for not a lot more money if you can find someone that knows what they are doing. IMHO the stuff you are looking at does not perform at a level that makes it worth the money. I understand that the better options do cost more but have a huge difference when you are at speed. The hog tunes sound ok when the bike is stationary but not much better then stock at speed. The others are a world different..
X2

$600.00 will buy you a system that will make you smile from either Hawg Wired or JM.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I realize that there are better options than HT, but I got my setup (5x7, rear, tweeter pod, 4ch amp) for much less than retail. That said, I'm happy.

For now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
444 Posts
I realize that there are better options than HT, but I got my setup (5x7, rear, tweeter pod, 4ch amp) for much less than retail. That said, I'm happy.

For now. :rolleyes:
That's good to hear. I'm hoping I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
That's good to hear. I'm hoping I'm happy with mine.
You should be happy with the Hogtunes system. Hogtunes have a good dependable system for a good price and they have great customer support. The Hogtunes system is a big improvement over the stock sound system and if you don't go to loud with the exhaust you should have no problems hearing your tunes. Did you go with a 2 or a 4 channel system?

·
Registered
444 Posts
You should be happy with the Hogtunes system. Hogtunes have a good dependable system for a good price and they have great customer support. The Hogtunes system is a big improvement over the stock sound system and if you don't go to loud with the exhaust you should have no problems hearing your tunes. Did you go with a 2 or a 4 channel system?
The exhaust isn't real loud. Just slip-on's. Looks like it's a 2 channel amp. IF and when I install speaker lids, will I have to add or change the current amp?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
A 4 channel amp is for the 4 speaker set up. I don't have rear speakers and I hear my system fine. My exhaust is super loud (I am putting on a quieter exhaust today) and my hearing is not as good as it use to be and I can hear the 2 speakers system just fine. The speakers in the saddlebag lids IMO isn't a feature I would go with for a few reason. First of all the sound is behind you and so is your exhaust sound so it is harder to hear the rear speakers then it would be in a auto, speakers in the rear of the bike works better for your passenger then you. My second reason is water concerns, I don't know if water would get in the saddlebags or not, someone that has saddlebag speakers can give you more info on that. I would look into going with the fairing lowers and installing speakers in the glove box (HD has a kit for that), that way the sound is in front of you, and you will also have lower leg protection which is a big bonus. Do some research on the forum before buying fairing lowers and speakers or going with the saddlebag lid speakers there are many threads on these subjects.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The main reason I was thinking about speaker lids was for my wife. She loves to jam as much as I do. LOL! I do like the lowers with speakers, but I hadn't given that much consideration. I have a tour pack with rear speakers, but I'm going to sell that whole set up and just use a regular backrest and luggage rack, so I'm losing the rear speaker set up I currently have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts