Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished a nice little project for the roadglide... I took a "shorty" roadglide custom.. Added some holes and a Harley contour windshield et voila!!! 20$ of hardware and works great!!! I can have a smoke now without problems

Attachments

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Looks good, but ????? How does it preform ?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just finished a nice little project for the roadglide... I took a "shorty" roadglide custom.. Added some holes and a Harley contour windshield et voila!!! 20$ of hardware and works great!!! I can have a smoke now without problems
Cool! I guess you should have highlighted the last sentence!!! :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had the same thing in mind when I was running the 12" HD Windsplitter, but I ended up with the Madstad instead. Keep us informed on how it performs for you. Looks good too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had the same sort of idea although I was thinking of just keeping my stock CVO windsplitter and adding a clear MadStad windshield to that to see if I could get the same performance of a full-blown MadStad system. That way I would have the looks of the stock windsplitter (which I like) but the performance of the MadStad.

But I went ahead and ordered a MadStad anyway and now I'm really digging on the clear shield and added visibility if affords. But I'm stoked to see others trying this out. You lose the ability of to move the outer shield to optimize performance, but once one dials in the MadStad to it's best position, it doesn't get moved much anyway, at least not on my bikes!

Good job. I still might try my thing one day but I'll have to find a different windsplitter as I don't want to drill holes him my OEM one in case I decide to sell it one day!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'll have to find a different windsplitter as I don't want to drill holes him my OEM one in case I decide to sell it one day!
I'm sure if you need a stock windshield in the future that about 100 members here will give their's to you for price of postage! Go for it!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hardware...

What did you use for hardware? spacers, etc? Source?
I bought from a local fastener store the following:

5- 1/2" 8-32 SS bolts (Used inside)
5- 3/4" 8-32 SS bolts (Used outside)
5- SS 8-32 SS connectors(spacers, painted black)
10- SS washers
10- Rubber washers

Sequence is the following from back to front:

1/2" SS bolt/SS washer/inner shorty windshield/rubber washer/SS connector/rubber washer/outer windshiled/SS washer/ 3/4" SS bolt

Ended up removing the inner SS washer on the middle bolt as it was contacting the inner fairing. But all others are ok...

Used blue locktite on the shorter bolt. The only reason it is 1/2" is that using (2) 3/4" SS together will not fully screw in as they were touching inside the connector.

For the holes, I assembled the spacers on the outer windshield then I used it to position the 2 outer spacers as close to the edge of the inner windshield while keeping the middle spacer centered. Mark the inner with of felt pen (On top of masking tape of course :) ) . Drilled the center hole, recheck other measurements by temporarily bolting the center one. Drill outer holes, remount, mark the remaining 2 and drill....

This assured me that the outer was mounted at his highest possible location.

Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
That really looks good. Had my bike a week and am rapidly moving in the direction of the right taller windshield. So, I have already found the 319.00 Madstad. Would I be correct by saying you mounted the stock Harley shield on standoffs?
Edit: Whoops, I am new navigating this forum and somehow missed your full parts list and description.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.