Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing a lil brainstorming so I figured I ask. Has anyone made a custom sissy bar out of a stock dettachable backrest? Obviously you see this type of thing on choppers or smaller bikes but I would like to see what if anything you came up with. Let's see what you got :)

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since nobody seems to have done this does anyone know where I can aquire a very CHEAP dettachable backrest that fits an 09 or newer bike? I'd be willing to buy one CHEAP as I would be cutting it up any way

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've thought of doing something similar, but more of a backrest than a sissy bar. I think that the side plates are basically the same as the 08 and earlier bikes, just that the width between them is wider for the newer rear ends. You could probably pick up an older one with shitty chrome for short money on Craigslist or at a swap meet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
whats your definition of cheap? I have one from my 13

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats your definition of cheap? I have one from my 13
It may be a stretch but I'm looking for something under $100. cuz I'm just going to cut it up. I don't want a $200 back rest just to basically destroy it. I don't care if it even rusted with the chrome falling off of it

·
Registered
10,373 Posts
I picked up one of these tall round sissy bars on eBay with the idea of modifying it, but my brother liked it the way it was so he took it for his 2015 RG .
think it was right around $120 shipped.
Did that come with detachable hardware ?

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up one of these tall round sissy bars on eBay with the idea of modifying it, but my brother liked it the way it was so he took it for his 2015 RG .
think it was right around $120 shipped.
That's not bad at all. For $120 it's not worth it for me to cut one up and try to make one. Any chance you have a link for it?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I can sell you my aftermarket reg sized backrest for $135 shipped. Perfect shape, used twice before I bought the shorty.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I sent a PM with my lower than $100 offer and can send pics.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Riaf, Both of those swapmeets are fairly close to you as am I. The one at Rhinebeck NY is an awesome antique bike show (used to be the largest in the country). Having attended both of these regularly I'm sure you can find what you want there. Rhinebeck is a real nice ride too and sooo worth it when you get there. Smitty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.