Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Harley Gurus,
So as I stare at my bike in the garage I cant help but gag every time I look at the bolts Harley uses throughout this machine. They may be functional but they sure aint pretty. So I recently pulled my rear seat & pegs and filled the holes in the frame with stainless bolts from the local hardware store. The stainless really sets nice against the black frame. Huge improvement over the flat gray fasteners.
(y)
So my question is: having a background as a jet mechanic and understanding that certain bolts may be stress tested to a certain spec for various parts of this bike, are there any that I should DEFINITELY not replace with a basic stainless bolt? Not planning on changing everything, just stuff within eyeshot that screams butt-ugly.
Feel free to tear me a new one if this is a bad idea or you havent been laid in awhile and just need to vent.
BW

Bike:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Example of ulgly-ass Harley bolts:
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

Stainless Bolts:
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Replacing bolt with better quality or metals is one thing. If it means a harder grade , it may not be a good Idea
Front tree pinch bolts are softer so if they break you can get them out. I have seen the down side of replacing with a Grade 8.
I need a hand full of nice quality black ones. HD went cheap and put some bear metal ones around the black bike that stand out like bad art.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Whoa, think some more... about using SS into cas' n threads and so, SS i recall is different ..... Where's Uncle Fuzzy??

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I bought the bolt kits and switched them out. and what's stupid is the black washers don't cover all the machined areas. So I bought black paint pens and painted the surfaces.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ciro3D makes a good looking kit to cover all the engine bolts. I think it dresses up the motor pretty nicely.

Engine Bolt Cover Kits For M8 Models – Ciro (ciro3d.com)
Nothing on you but recently I developed a hate for those covers. I was following another bike and the cover for the detachable back rest come flying at me. No time to react and no where to go. Got lucky. I get it for style but I have enough to keep up with in traffic on the hwy without stuff falling off bikes

·
Registered
89 Posts
The covers I referenced are small plastic covers about 1/4" & 1/2" high. I have never lost one and if I did lose one, I doubt it could damage anything. I do know the covers you are talking about though. They are metal covers about 1" by 1 1/2" that are held on by magnets. One of those falling off could definitely damage you or your bike.
Happy you and bike weren't injured.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am going to be doing the twelve point bolt change. Priced out the kit on some of the performance sites. You can order the entire contents of the kits off Fastenal for way cheaper.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Can't see them when I am in the Saddle doing 90.........

J/K Man...I get it - Make it your own amigo....its not our $$$

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Can't see them when I am in the Saddle doing 90.........

J/K Man...I get it - Make it your own amigo....its not our $$$
Funny thing happened. More than once.

Guys looking at my bike. They're saying they have the same bike but mine looks way tougher, better, blacker. You pic. It's been said multiple times multiple ways. When I point out the black bolts. They have a "could've had a V8" moment. Lol.

It's in the little details. I am amazed at how much attention my black on black everyone has one RGS gets.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,098 Posts
There are plastic plugs available to cover the passenger peg mount holes you put bolts in, blends in better. As others mentioned, they sell bolt kits.

·
Registered
2012 big blue pearl r.g. custom,chris rivas 574 cams. Rinehart extreme 4" RSD air cleaner barrnett c
130 Posts
I dodged a front axel cover off my buddies bike doing 80 seen something bouncing off the pavement and past my head did not know what it was untill the next stop
Glenn

·
Registered
2021 roadglide cvo, black hole.
136 Posts
The black allen bolt kit would look nice on your bike I feel the same as you the stock bolts even on a cvo look like crap. But that's the fun on making your bike your's.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Funny thing happened. More than once.

Guys looking at my bike. They're saying they have the same bike but mine looks way tougher, better, blacker. You pic. It's been said multiple times multiple ways. When I point out the black bolts. They have a "could've had a V8" moment. Lol.

It's in the little details. I am amazed at how much attention my black on black everyone has one RGS gets.

I assume you pulled one bolt at a time using the same sequence as if re-installing a cover? I would imagine no fluid was lost doing it that way.

·
Registered
2021 roadglide cvo, black hole.
136 Posts
One bolt at a time and clean out the thread sealer that Harley uses from the factory, I use a tap set to clean out the threads and compressed air.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
From day one the light rust on the rear rockerbox bolt on my 10 bugged me. So (7 years later) when I finally had it apart last year to do the cams, I made a point of putting that rusty looking bolt in a different hole so I can't see it anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts