Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 RG and when caught in heavy rain the horn will sound and I have to push the horn button to get it to stop; in a few seconds horn sounds again, etc. After doing this for a few times, I have to stop and unplug the horn. Yesterday I washed the bike, pulled it into the garage and horn sounded. I had to unplug it and now it will not work at all. I do not see that the horn has its own fuse to check that. My bike is still under warranty and I have an appointment to have it looked at next week, but wanting to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I would like to see if I can provide the dealer with other examples of this, thanks.
RDGL2009

·
Registered
15 Posts
What? these things have horns?;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Had to clean my terminals and put some dielectric grease on them to get my horn to work. But it sounds to me like you have a short in yours going to ground. maybe shoot some WD
in there (horn & switch) it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had to clean my terminals and put some dielectric grease on them to get my horn to work. But it sounds to me like you have a short in yours going to ground. maybe shoot some WD
in there (horn & switch) it sure wouldn't hurt anything.
Thanks, I will give that a try
RDGL2009

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
brings up a good point, although I've started cleaning the bike using a foam gun and pressure washer system, and after doing it twice seems to work okay, I'm thinking about saran wrapping the controls just to be safe.

by the way, nolox makes a great non corrosive conductive paste

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
I had the same thing happen 2 weeks after a bought my bike. Drove through rain for about an hour. The guys at the shop tried to fix it, but I went out and bought a mini- beast 2 air horn and self installed it. Been happy ever since. Photos are on the horn section somewhere :)

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same thing happen 2 weeks after a bought my bike. Drove through rain for about an hour. The guys at the shop tried to fix it, but I went out and bought a mini- beast 2 air horn and self installed it. Been happy ever since. Photos are on the horn section somewhere :)
Thanks for the info; bike is still under warranty and if they can not fix it I will get a mini-beast.
Thanks
RDGL2009

M

·
0 Posts
Neat Air Horn

I'm not sure what a mini-beast is, but Aerostich (www.aerostich.com) has what they call an ear cannon. It actually is a Stebel (made in Germany) Nautilus model. Has a high/low chamber and is truly instant on. I kept the stocker, and used its wire to power a relay that I use for the Stebel. I soldered the wires and made sure I had a good ground and it works like a champ. Not sure how it will do in bad weather, but we'll see. Aerostich sells it for $37 plus freight.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I was sure the punch line was going to be..."Watch for finger." :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
My Stock horn crapped out two weeks after I got the bike home. I would work when it felt like it. Pulled it and installed Stebel from Autozone. There is a mod that you can do to get it to fit behind the stock cow bell cover.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HD changed out the horn and horn relay under warranty. I am looking around to see what direction I want to go in for a better horn. Thanks to all for suggestions that I can use.

M

·
0 Posts
Big Dave,
Hang on to what you got. I traded an '04 for a new '10. What a mistake! I want the '04 back! Better ride by far, almost as much power, etc. The "improvements" suck. TBW sucks for me. New suspension sucks for me. Looks the same. I blew $10K and all I'm getting is peed off. Grrrr.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Big Dave,
Hang on to what you got. I traded an '04 for a new '10. What a mistake! I want the '04 back! Better ride by far, almost as much power, etc. The "improvements" suck. TBW sucks for me. New suspension sucks for me. Looks the same. I blew $10K and all I'm getting is peed off. Grrrr.
Miker, I can't afford to trade right now, even if I wanted to. I got two kids in college, ya know?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts