Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will higher HP reduce the life of the drive belt? I know riding habits are a factor. How much HP can the OEM belt take?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
my turbo v-rod took 165 hp had 50k on it when traded in for the glide and she was rode hard and put away wet!!!

·
Administrator
10,503 Posts
I know of one blown bagger at 200 with the belt , for peace of mind I would have a chain

JtB

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not sure who makes HD belts for them, but they are made to HD spec requirements. I do know that a Gates Polychain will take whatever HP/torque/abuse you can throw at it with a street rideable bike.

I converted my '03 Nightrain to chain with sprotor setup for cool factor, nothing to gain on a bagger IMO.

·
Registered
664 Posts
weakest link in a new bagger is the crush drive back on the rear pulley. the belt can take about anything but a rock

·
Registered
664 Posts
If my drive belt ever goes.....wether it be a rock or torque I will be installing the sidecar belt which is 30% stronger then the OEM belt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My Boss Hoss had a 355 hp Chevy ZZ4 350 cid with a belt. Never had a problem. I sold it to a fellow who drags it and runs nitro - still the same belt. My other Boss was Chev 327 rated at 375 hp. It had a chain but I could tear the chain off at will.

BART

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also have had several Boss hoss' 500hp big block no problems Ls3 Vette motor on Nitrous no problems!!!! adjust your belt properly and it is all good
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts