Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2017 Road Glide Ultra. I wear a full face helmet, and I am feeling too hot compared to my previous bike (Suzuki VStrom). In the Summer, I need more air on my body, but don't want to deal with buffeting. The 15" screen that comes with the bike works well from an airflow perspective, and I plan to use it in cooler weather. I need a hot weather solution. What do you suggest? By the way, I am 6'2", so I am a taller rider. I am using a stock seat. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Welcome.

First Question: Did you open all the vents on the fairing and the lowers?

2nd Question: Are you willing to ride with the helmet shield open and a pair of protective glasses?

3rd Question: Are you wearing a mesh jacket?

I solved my being hot by adding a Road King to the stable. I ride it without the windshield.

Touring bikes in general are hot in the summer heat. You don't get a lot of air flow. No matter what brand touring bike you own. Baker Air wings are very popular among Goldwing riders to pull some air around the fairing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Stock RG/RGS shield & change the shields per season. Or MadStad with quick detach brackets & you just remove the outer shield during summer. I have the MadStad

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2017 Road Glide Ultra. I wear a full face helmet, and I am feeling too hot compared to my previous bike (Suzuki VStrom). In the Summer, I need more air on my body, but don't want to deal with buffeting. The 15" screen that comes with the bike works well from an airflow perspective, and I plan to use it in cooler weather. I need a hot weather solution. What do you suggest? By the way, I am 6'2", so I am a taller rider. I am using a stock seat. Thanks for the help.
I like to ride naked. Its much cooler that way in the Louisiana heat and humidity. Of course all the neighbors think Im a pervert but thats ok. Im a much cooler pervert but still a pervert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All vents are open. I do have a mesh jacket, but it is too hot to wear with this bike. I do keep my face shield partially open. I will look into the Baker Air Wings. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I like to ride naked. Its much cooler that way in the Louisiana heat and humidity. Of course all the neighbors think Im a pervert but thats ok. Im a much cooler pervert but still a pervert.
Don't listen to this southern slur, his o'lady"s ant goona let him embarrass her nor will she be splaining him holding the end of a snake knee deep in a mud hole.

·
Registered
684 Posts
OMFG. nuff said on that subject.

RG/RGS is a regular Road Glide/ Road Glide Special (FLTRX/FLTRXS). The shield is what I affectionately refer to as the "shorty".

As someone else suggested, try opening the vents, the really let a lot of air in without incurring all of the wind noise of a shorter shield.

Good luck and congrats on the Shark and welcome to the forum. We are good at helping other people spend money on the girls.:wink:

Mike

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here's something you may want to check into, a cooling vest. I bought a Glacier Tek vest two years ago. I bought 2 sets of cooling packs for it. I'll use it on really hot days or if I'm riding long hours. It does a really good job at keeping me cool. The 2nd set of cooling packs is so that I can wear one set and have the 2nd set recharging, ready to go for when I need them.

The only real complaint I have when using it, is my T-shirt gets wet. I'm not sure if its my sweat (the cooling packs are plastic and 1 layer of fabric, so your skin can't breath very well in this area) or if its condensation. Summertime here in the FL panhandle is really hot and the humidity is awful, so the evaporative type vests don't work all that well. When wearing this vest I don't sweat at all (except what I already mentioned, which leads me to believe its actually condensation).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a cooling vest, but the lack of airflow may make it less effective. I was really eyeing the 6" screen that Harley has on their site. It looks good, but was wondering if it would suit my needs during the Summer.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Check out Long Ride Shields, they have 2 different ones for the Rushmores and one has a set of "hips" that let a little more air around the sides of the shield which might be just what your looking for.

longrideshields.com/collections/2015 The one you want is the Stingray if you look at both of them head on you will see what I mean by the "hips".

Kinda hard to beat the price in them.

As others have said, although I dont have personal experiance with the Madstad, eveyone who has one raves about it. So thats another option to think about.

Hope this helps a little.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would do a stage 1 - new breather, headers and slip on's with a tuner to get rid of the catalytic converter - this cooled down my bike and me a lot. I bet you are feeling a lot of heat on your right leg and thigh, which the radiates up into your torso.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do have a cooling vest, but the lack of airflow may make it less effective. I was really eyeing the 6" screen that Harley has on their site. It looks good, but was wondering if it would suit my needs during the Summer.

Couple of ideas/tips - get rid of the lowers in the summer. Use them in the winter if you need them. Also look into Long Ride Shields. Their design is great a "flipping the air" up over your head and their designs don't look like something off Star Trek. Also (believe it or not), wear a "summer" mesh jacket. Being shaded makes a ton of difference. I used to ride in a t-shirt and I've found that even in the south TX sun, I'm cooler if I have a mesh on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would do a stage 1 - new breather, headers and slip on's with a tuner to get rid of the catalytic converter - this cooled down my bike and me a lot. I bet you are feeling a lot of heat on your right leg and thigh, which the radiates up into your torso.
And absolutely by all means THIS^^^^^. Performance gains aside, getting rid of the cats helps w/ the heat. Properly tune afterwards and you're golden.

·
Registered
33 Posts
First congrats on your RGU! I have a '17 RGU as well and absolutely love it. As for your heat issue, I would not recommend taking off the lowers since you water coolers are in them and your bike needs them, especially if you are hot I'm sure your bike is too. I definitely would change out that TV screen of a windshield. I put a smaller 12" LRS Stingray on mine and its great. The LRS has a recurve and directs the wind up and over (no buffeting) but I still get some air off the sides. Next for me is headers and getting rid of the catalytic converter. I am sure that will help quite a bit. I live in Central FL and 90+ days are the norm. I ride just about every day, with 9,500 miles on my bike so far so I definitely love getting my knees in the breeze. Enjoy!!!!

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Can't really take the lowers off on the RGU with the liquid cooled engine. I went from open bars to a shield (street glide) which was both a welcome change and also very hot in anything over 85 degrees, especially in the east. Having lower fairings really cuts off airlfow over the rider. I curse the air going up my nose from under the fuel tank until I get hot then it's a godsend. Best advice is to open up vents and deflect air into the riders compartment any way you can, and to get a windshield that is narrow. Narrow shields prevent buffeting but will allow more airlfow around you than the wide touring ones that come stock. -my 2 cents.

Reactions: wfcress

·
Registered
12 Posts
Obvious solution: Don't ride when it is hot outside
Most stupid solution: see above!!

I always were a riding jacket. Just my level of security for the unfortunate. (Plus half-helmet and gloves)
Have an HD mesh jacket which is extremely breathable and gets the direct sun off the skin which helps like HoustonUltra stated.
Put a 16" LRS Stingray shield on (I'm tall) and gives me and the wife a nice air pocket.
I keep all the vents open which helps.
Don't like being blasted in the face with wind and/or bugs.
The 16" puts everything at the top of the helmet and I still see over the top of the shield.
But I am also a slow cruiser who likes to turn up the tunes and enjoy the view.

I have a 2016 RGU and recently moved from South Dakota to Fort Worth.
Going through the same "what should I do" about riding in the Texas summer heat.
Complete stage 1 seems to be the general consensus on the heat issue.

My right floor board rubber looks new because that foot is on the highway peg to get away from the heat!
Doing a complete stage 1 eventually when the $$$ come available.
There is an encyclopedia worth of info on stage 1 suggestion on the net that all sound great.
So figuring out what I want gives me a headache: header type, muffler sound, and what tuner??

I guess the short term solution is:
Stay hydrated until you figure out what the he// you want to do about heat management!!

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is a cheap solution for cooling off from the neck up, go to Harbor Freight and buy their cooling towel that you wet down and hang around your neck. It is made from a cool feeling material and when wet the evaporation process does a good job of cooling your upper chest, neck and head. You would have to tuck it in under your jacket to keep from loosing it in the wind or use a pin or tie tack to hold it around your neck. It does work much better than an ordinary towel. Additionally, you could look for someone selling a stock RG/RGS windshield which most guys replace for taller shields.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts