Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a full Fuelmoto Stage 1 Kit (Intake/2-1/PV) on my ride, running the canned map provided by Fuelmoto....very happy with the performance and setup (not looking for ultimate power, just better throttle performance and little pep).

Anyways, I recently decided to mount up on PV full-time and start utilizing some of its features other than just a ECU Flasher....and wow, it's pretty kick ass.

Question about the temp gauges....I'm assuming it is reading off the bike sensors, but how accurate do you think it is?

I was tracking my engine temp yesterday....what is typical temps? Highway riding, in 70 degree weather, it was reading around 200. Sustained uphills and fast aggressive riding in the canyons, about 275. Highway riding , in 90+ weather, 250. Whats normal temps and what is the danger zone?

I once did get close to 300 and I backed off and slowed down a bit.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've been watching mine for a long time, since day 1 that I put the PV on.

Cylinder head temp is read from the bike's head temp sensor on the back side of the front cylinder head, sensor is located right behind the horn.

Head temp and oil temp will track each other pretty close once FULLY warmed up. If you have both you will realize that it takes 20+ miles of highway riding to get to full oil temp.

I will typically see 240-260* head temp at 60-65 mph highway riding in 70-80 ambient temps. Oil temp will run 200ish at those head temps. Start running 75-80mph and 90* temps and I'll see 280 head temp and 230+ oil temp.

Not unusual to see 280,290, 300+ head temp in town, especially if you're waiting for stop lights.
I saw 330 or 340 head temp riding up Mt Washington at SWIV, bike didn't care for that much, had to go very easy on the throttle to keep it from pinging.

I think the EITMS system kicks in at 300-310 ish stock, I raised it in my tune to 320 I think. I've gotten there a couple times.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Have been using the PV on my RGU for a couple years now and the head temps seems to be right on a better tool than oil temps.
Using the PV I have been able to show how well a fan like the Lenale works and how little effect oil cooler fan has once fully warmed up.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I actually went the other way with my eitms, I dropped it to 280 if I recall, I sit in a lot of traffic and wanted it to kick in sooner while I was sitting, it has no effect once the bike is moving.

I have seen close to 400 on my head temp, its a scary sight which is why mine is no longer mounted!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It all depends on the ambient air temps. If it is cold out you may only see 200 to 220 if it is hot out you will see 250 to 300. Not sure if the sensor is 100% dead accurate but it is close enough to let you know if you have a problem.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
until 2014, the threshold temp was 285* (unless changed in the map). now with the 2014 and up bikes, there is an ambient air sensor to kick in if ambient air is above 80*

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
until 2014, the threshold temp was 285* (unless changed in the map). now with the 2014 and up bikes, there is an ambient air sensor to kick in if ambient air is above 80*
You sure about this? The MAP sensor on all the newer bikes is a dual sensor that also measures intake air temp. Are you saying they have an external sensor? We all know how well the external air temp works lol... :D

·
Registered
528 Posts
my PV gauge is pretty accurate, (I think). The EITMS kicks in less than 5 degrees over 289.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You sure about this? The MAP sensor on all the newer bikes is a dual sensor that also measures intake air temp. Are you saying they have an external sensor? We all know how well the external air temp works lol... :D
i have no idea what sensor they use to measure ambient air temp for the eitms. i looked in the new owner's manual, and they now say, "ambient temp or engine temp. i don't remember where i had read about the ambient temp being 80*, but i did see it somewhere after the 14s had come out and someone else had mentioned the eitms kicking in based on ambient temp.

actually, the external air temp works pretty good. they just put the sensor in a dumb place....

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Temp Readings

After 4 years, I've found my PV head temp readings to be quite accurate.
I've used an infrared thermometer to check how close the external/internal readings are.
The oil temp gage runs pretty much as stated earlier; and it does take, depending on ambient temps, a few miles to get up to 200*+/- operating temps.
The infrared tool does a good job of oil temp comparisons as well if you remove the filler cap and 'shoot' into the crankcase while the engine is running; or immediately after shutting down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts