Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing a 2019 Road Glide Special and going to add fairing lowers. Want to put speakers in the lowers and maybe upgrade the fairing speakers. Probably have the dealer do the instillation so is the Boom audio stuff the dealer sells any good? Is there a better bang for the buck without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
300 Posts
if you cruise the audio section this topic has been beat to death. Personally I wouldn't waste money on the Boom stuff.

I went with Rockford Fosgate Amp and 4 speaker with a Sony Head unit and have not much more than if someone did the Full Harley Boom upgrade

Others use other systems, all depends what you want to spend, but definitely check the Aftermarket options if you want it to sound good

·
Registered
753 Posts
There’s no nice way to put it. Boom amps and speakers are quite simply overpriced crap. Install is pretty easy, no need to pay someone to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2017 RGS. I spent a lot of time searching and listening. I think the above posts are spot on. I’ll add, that, in my opinion the Boom audio system is fine. It may cost more than other options, but it bolts right in, it is MOCO branded, so the HD digital technician will pick it right up and flashing the Boom Audio will be a no brainer for the service department. At cruise, the wind and road noises kill the audiophile qualities of any system. So unless you are designing a parking lot rocker, I wouldn’t place a whole lot of emphasis on audio specs; they’re all pretty good at doing that (and blue tooth helmet systems are becoming a bigger option). So it comes down to ease and familiarity that any dealer will be able to suss out vs more bang for your buck and some more work on your end. Having said that, I went with a Rockford Fosgate system that I found on sale and their universal mounting kit. Their YouTube video for install will guide anyone comfortable with turning wrenches.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I considered the Boom for my 16 RGS. And cost wise I couldn't justify paying more for 75 watts per channel when I could pay less for 180w per channel and still have full plug and play. I went with the Biketronics BT2180.14 kit. The CVO at the dealership system I had them play dont compete with my 2 speaker set up as far as sound clarity and overall volume. at just over half volume on mine I only hear a slight hum of the mufflers. At 3/4 volume. All i hear is music. And it sounds great. Not distorted at all.

Also. If I add speakers to my lowers. I'll drop mybwattage to about 130w per channel. And the amp is aware and compensates for the extra load. (Dont know the complete tech on that but these guys do) So I'm still pushing more watts than the boom.

I'm not knocking the Boom. Just stating why i went the way i did.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I considered the Boom for my 16 RGS. And cost wise I couldn't justify paying more for 75 watts per channel when I could pay less for 180w per channel and still have full plug and play. I went with the Biketronics BT2180.14 kit. The CVO at the dealership system I had them play dont compete with my 2 speaker set up as far as sound clarity and overall volume. at just over half volume on mine I only hear a slight hum of the mufflers. At 3/4 volume. All i hear is music. And it sounds great. Not distorted at all.

Also. If I add speakers to my lowers. I'll drop mybwattage to about 130w per channel. And the amp is aware and compensates for the extra load. (Dont know the complete tech on that but these guys do) So I'm still pushing more watts than the boom.

I'm not knocking the Boom. Just stating why i went the way i did.
That boom amp is 75 watts per channel and is a 4 channel amp. Total of 150 per speaker location is you're going to run separate mids and tweets. Just wanted to clarify that.

Not saying it's better than anything else, just putting that out there. I know a few guys on the CVO forum that have yanked their B II setups for the same setup you have and are quite happy with it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
That had nothing to do with the original question , but since we’re throwing opinions around that system is another prime example of way overpriced for what you get.

Do not drink the koolaid, and yes I’ve owned that stuff before. Never again.

·
Registered
940 Posts
That had nothing to do with the original question , but since we’re throwing opinions around that system is another prime example of way overpriced for what you get.

Do not drink the koolaid, and yes I’ve owned that stuff before. Never again.

Does he answer a question ever or just advertise? Lol. I tried that koolaid and spit it out very quickly.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i prefer earbuds connected to my cellphone

the software in the phone is much more upgradeable than any factree stereo will ever be

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
That boom amp is 75 watts per channel and is a 4 channel amp. Total of 150 per speaker location is you're going to run separate mids and tweets. Just wanted to clarify that.

Not saying it's better than anything else, just putting that out there. I know a few guys on the CVO forum that have yanked their B II setups for the same setup you have and are quite happy with it.
This is what I compared it to. Stage 1 2 speaker kit for RG.

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/boom!-audio-boom-bagger-amp---speaker-kit---2-speaker

·
Registered
753 Posts
What do you expect when itÂ’s his job?

So what. There’s plenty of other audio vendors that do it for a living and none of them shove it down anyone’s throat on this or the other forum.

He’s been banned from the other forum for doing it. If his stuff was even half as good as he makes it out to be it would sell itself.

Again, same ridiculous price point as boom with the same poor result. End of story.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts

·
Registered
4,913 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
That's nuts. They don't mention the amp is a 4x75 amp. HD shoots themselves in the foot constantly.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Right?

So on the surface I was comparing apples to apples. And the BT system was $799.99. 30 bucks less. For more than double the output. Going by their specs.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Purchasing a 2019 Road Glide Special and going to add fairing lowers. Want to put speakers in the lowers and maybe upgrade the fairing speakers. Probably have the dealer do the instillation so is the Boom audio stuff the dealer sells any good? Is there a better bang for the buck without breaking the bank?
Pan - Some that spend their hard earned $$ on the Boom! stuff are happy. And then there are those that aren't. Human nature dictates that we claim to be super happy with what we spend our $$ on even if we aren't completely happy with the results sometimes. I wouldn't personally spend my own money on Boom!, but how others spend their own cash is their perogative.

Fortunately for you, you're audio shopping at a time when RG audio has really hit it's stride. There are multiple businesses now that sell plug and play capable kits that have everything you need as long as you can watch a YouTube video, read directions, turn a wrench and plug things in. Biketronics sells plug-n-play kits that just work, have an unbeatable warranty and consist of great gear. Then there's BadAzz bikes down in Temple and some others who have put together components that fit and work as advertised.

IMHO - you get a better return on your investment going the aftermarket route when you compare Power / SQ / $ ratios. If I were in your shoes I'd keep the stock GTS radio and grab aftermarket gear to upgrade with.

I'd avoid robo-bot if you decide to go aftermarket. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I guess I got lucky as I had J&M put in my '17 and LOVED it - Never had to go past 3/4 volume and it was pretty damn clear at 80+ MPH with my Memphis Shades 6.5 screen.......sorry to hear others did not have the same luck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts