Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, before Shark Week, I wanted to upgrade the tunes seeing as I was going to be on the bike everyday for 8-10 hours a day, 7 days straight - I did not want to go Boom 2 Crap (wondering now if I should have) as it has never really knocked my socks off - So, we have a place in the N Burbs that does high end audio install on cars and bikes with a stellar rep........and it is about 10 mins from the pad

So I drop coin on:

- Focal FD 2.350 (2) Chan Amp (not doing bag lids or Lowers so 2 chan was fine) - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mUTLjIb3Yym/p_091FD2350/Focal-FD-2-350.html

- Hertz HXC 165 6x5 200 Watt Speaker - https://www.amazon.com/HERTZ-Hi-Energy-Coaxial-Speakers-HCX165/dp/B003VCK7WK

- ARC Audio DSP Signal Correction - Motorcycle Audio, DSP / OEM Signal Correction*| Arc Audio

All this sounds good, much better than stock........but am I limited by the Head Unit? - I can run it at 100MPH all day at 3/4 volume and still hear it fine.......but it is not knocking my socks off and making me say DAMN!!!

Am I jut too basic with my choices ($$$) to REALLY be rockin the block and shakin the lake?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
HU is not the problem. Guys are winning competitions with that HU. I would bet the amp isn't enough to "Blow you away". If you want to really experience powerful clean sound, pro audio is where its at. Your DSP tuned properly, more powerful and clean amp, and some pro audio speakers you will be impressed. Bagger Audio Lab is building some crazy stuff. Alex is a super cool guy and he will steer you in the right direction for what you want. He is located in miami, he had a post last night he was in full hurricane mode so it will be a while to get a hold of him. Praying his shop is still there after the storm goes thru

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Upgrading your components is only part of the equation.

What format of audio are you listening to? Satellite radio sucks, store bought MP3s suck, streaming sucks. Ripping your own music files off DVD at the highest resolution is the best way to go that I am currently aware of, but I am not an audiophile. I listen to music to fill in the background so my brain isn't going 40 directions at one time.

I have a mixed quality of MP3s and one song sounds great and the next one sucks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The whole package is what isn't blowin your socks off. It's not a bad set up, but it isn't going to give you what it sounds like you are expecting. I have had several sets of the hcx line of hertz speakers and they were just okay. If you step up to a set of SPL hertz speakers, and a bigger amp, you will have a night and day difference.
How close are you to Alsip? Go see the boys at DA and they will help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have my music on a thumb drive, and it seems to be the best and most consistant format sound wise.

I am currently redoing my entire library(what a PITA) with rocket mps ripper and boosting the level to 150%.

As far as being blown away, it would depend entirely on what your expectations were going in. If you were expecting peel the skin off your face loud and hear every instrument clear as day, then yes, you would be dissapointed with what you have.

If you were expecting plenty loud to be heard at speed(even at triple digits) and not symphony quality clarity than you should be happy with what you put in, provided the DSP and amp are tuned correctly.

I fear now that you may have cought the Spazz bug and are getting ready to go large in search of the perfect system, LOL.

Keep us informed on how it goes.

Mike

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx Lads - I knew I was not going to be competing in any parking lot jam offs but was just curious - The whole thing, installed was only like $1200 I think - Yes, it is better than stock and I know I cannot expect the world out of (2) little 6.5s & a 170 Watt Amp.....but was just curious - I am "Happy" with what I have but this is just like chasing HP and Trq .........I guess you always want more

I stream Pandora through my phone which is plugged into the right glove box and know it is not top quality but I just don't have the energy to go through the 20K plus songs I have on a Hard Drive to make a thumb drive for the bike - I don't plan on spending anymore $$ (ha, who am i kidding) on this demon but who knows......Alsip is less than an hour away so @Indyglide, more info on "DA" would be greatly appreciated - Although the thought of another person cracking open my baby and toying around with her guts makes me wince.......maybe I should have just gone Boom2 for $500 more??? - I don't want Bag Lids and no plans for lowers so what can I realistically expect out of 2 dash speakers?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never mind......I found this website called "Google" and you can just type questions in like "DA in Alsip" and WHAMMO.............

Those cats look all sorts of pimped out and would prob laugh my old ass riding stock shit off the lot.........but I'll check them out

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you're only doing the fairing then you should be using a really good set of components (DD AW6.5's are very popular) and you need a lot more power than the Focal will give you (Arc 600.4 or a JL 500/4 are good matches to the DD's).

I'm not a fan of Hertz, just don't sound good to me. I also think if you're just doing fairing then a PA setup won't satisfy you. It would be loud as hell but you'd lack that low end thump. PS setups need thump from the bags.

The best thing in your setup is the DSM and I'm here to tell you that it's a royal PITA to setup. VERY steep learning curve but it's THE best thing out there for a bike considering it's size (if you have space, there are some more options that are much easier to setup).

You could try and get a hold of Alez at Bagger Audio Lab but their out of Miami and evacuating right now I believe.

·
Registered
408 Posts
oh and here's the thing on Boom 2, yes it will sound better BUT it's only marginally better and it's 2 times more than comparable aftermarket setups.

Boom is easy though, just not worth the cost imo

*caveat* IF you can find a Boom 2 setup used (ie half price) it's worth looking at.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're only doing the fairing then you should be using a really good set of components (DD AW6.5's are very popular) and you need a lot more power than the Focal will give you (Arc 600.4 or a JL 500/4 are good matches to the DD's).

I'm not a fan of Hertz, just don't sound good to me. I also think if you're just doing fairing then a PA setup won't satisfy you. It would be loud as hell but you'd lack that low end thump. PS setups need thump from the bags.

The best thing in your setup is the DSM and I'm here to tell you that it's a royal PITA to setup. VERY steep learning curve but it's THE best thing out there for a bike considering it's size (if you have space, there are some more options that are much easier to setup).

You could try and get a hold of Alez at Bagger Audio Lab but their out of Miami and evacuating right now I believe.
Thx Man - Not sure what I am going to do and I kind of did this on a Budget and I think I got what I could with the $1K I wanted to spend - I have no idea how to install or tune the shit so need to (if I plan to) find someone local to dig in and set me straight

·
Registered
88 Posts
Before you start dumping a lot more $$$ into your system, I would suggest that you make sure that it is properly tuned and that the gains are properly set. The Arc Audio PSM is a powerful tool. If you are doing yourself, I would suggest that you purchase the SMD DD-1 https://www.amazon.com/Steave-Meade-Designs-SMD-DD-1/dp/B00802PJ7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504794438&sr=8-2&keywords=smd+dd1. This is a tool that allows you to properly set your gains so that you are maximizing your system volume without distortion. True, the head unit audio quality is not the greatest. Mine starts to distort between 1/2 and 2/3 volume. Yes, you will get more from a more powerful amplifier and additional speakers, but make sure what you already have is tuned properly.

While my system is never going to compete with those that have their bags packed with amplifiers,sub-woofers, and 14 speakers, it blows everyone away when they hear it. Everyone is amazed at the sound quality and clarity. This is due in large part to the Arc Audio PSM.

2015 Road Glide Special Factory Head Unit
Arc Audio PSM DSP (in fairing)
Arc Audio 600.4 Amplifier (in fairing)
Hertz HCX 165 (6.5" fronts)
Hertz HCX 690 (6x9" rears)

I've also attached a guidline for properly setting your gains of the whole system using the SMD DD-1, and "Base" tuning. It won't allow me to attach a word doc, so I have attached them as jpegs

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shop I had do this for me is pretty damn reputable in my neck of the woods for Car Audio and I always see bikes in there too:

https://blog.abt.com/2017/03/inside-abt-mobile-audio-installation-department/

Two different techs have now tuned my bike from this shop which seems to have everything from a Diddle Eyed Joe to a Damned If I Know...........and lord knows I do not know how to do this shit.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Thx Lads - I knew I was not going to be competing in any parking lot jam offs but was just curious - The whole thing, installed was only like $1200 I think - Yes, it is better than stock and I know I cannot expect the world out of (2) little 6.5s & a 170 Watt Amp.....
Hey Eddie, remember that the Focal FD 2.350 is rated at 170 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms.

If you are running 4 ohm speakers then the spec is 105 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms.

So in your case with the HCX 165 coaxial speakers you're at 105 watts RMS per channel.

Seems to me that the guys that did the system on your bike put together a great system for a car or truck that has plenty of sound isolation from the surrounding environment. Probably a perfect balance between SQ and SPL. But on a bike................... You need the AMP power, speaker power handling capability and speaker sensitivity to "blow your socks off" when you're competing against all of the noise around you.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
When you get the stereo to where you can hear it blow your socks off above all the other noises, send me a PM and I will give you the name of a great Hearing Aid dispenser. They even have built in Bluetooth in hearing aids these days.:grin:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey Eddie, remember that the Focal FD 2.350 is rated at 170 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms.

So in your case with the HCX 165 coaxial speakers you're at 105 watts RMS per channel.

Seems to me that the guys that did the system on your bike put together a great system for a car or truck that has plenty of sound isolation from the surrounding environment. Probably a perfect balance between SQ and SPL. But on a bike................... You need the AMP power, speaker power handling capability and speaker sensitivity to "blow your socks off" when you're competing against all of the noise around you.

I am so used to not even looking at 4ohm speakers anymore that I completely missed this. I would bet that is a large part of the difficulty that the system is having in regards to "blowing eds errr "socks" off".. I mean thats giving up quite a bit of horsepower(to put it in engine terms).

What you may want to ask the shop, is if they have a nice set of 2ohm speakers that you can trade that nice set of 4ohm speakers in for.

Mike

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Bunker and Spazz both offer sound advice (no pun intended) on topics related to bike audio around here. And there is another forum that has much more extensive resources on bike audio, but not RG specific many times. So I always pay close attention to anything that Bunker or Spazz have to say (because most of the time stuff they recommend or don't recommend) comes from hands on experience with those exact components in a Glide.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Brother....you are speaking in 100% Intelligent and I am listening in 100% Idiot.......no idea what any of this means - I think I am just going to let this shit ride and if I get some coin saved up over the winter, just re-do the whole fucking thing and call this little $1200 experiment a loss - It sounds better than stock, it sounds "Good" at triple digit speeds.....but by no means am I like "HOLY CANOLI THIS IS AMAZING"

Fuck it......I'm just gonna drop an S&S 143 in and fuck the music

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh and here's the thing on Boom 2, yes it will sound better BUT it's only marginally better and it's 2 times more than comparable aftermarket setups.

Boom is easy though, just not worth the cost imo

*caveat* IF you can find a Boom 2 setup used (ie half price) it's worth looking at.
Thx Brother - I did this one with a Budget in mind (went over by $200 too) and the Boom2 was more for sure - Had it on my '15 and was not all that impressed....even with the Bag Lids.......but then again, that bike was like a Big Block with Open Headers........Steven Tyler could have been on the back screaming in my ear and I still would have only heard the exhaust

1 - 20 of 24 Posts