Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2017 sounds like a Honda , can I do anything without messing up the warranty? Its pathetic , A Prius drove by and was louder!!!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Some guys are putting pipes and tuners with the dealers doing the work and saying they'll warranty the drive train.

Ask your dealer how far tippy can go before they won't. I know my dealer won't do anything out of EPA compliance. They don't was t the 20k hit if they get caught.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Good advice

To answer your question you will need a full stage one including a good fuel management unit.

A good head pipe with some nice slip-om's and your bike will sound like a Harley and not a Singer sewing machine.

Search the forum

Everyone will tell you what they like but you will have to decide that on your own.

I went with a full Vance & Hines setup along with there FP-3 auto tuner and I couldn't be happier.

Happy researching.

Swomack

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have to run factory head pipes with the cat installed. I did slip ons. Still under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put the Jackpot m8 slip ons from fuelmoto on my '17.....pretty happy with the sound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
My new 2017 sounds like a Honda , can I do anything without messing up the warranty? Its pathetic , A Prius drove by and was louder!!!
Full Stage 4 on my 2017 RGS, Sounds pretty damn Good now!!!>:)

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
What you have is what a Harley sounds like. ;)

Personally, I have a hard time distinguishing a loud Harley from a vintage Volkswagen beetle , or a redneck truck.

Oh and I have heard plenty of loud redneck Hondas. Even heard a goldwing with 6 inch straight pipes. Talk about loud!

I guess I just don't understand the fascination with being loud and obnoxious. It will fatigue you faster on a long ride. You can't enjoy the music.

While I am on this rant, what is the deal with blipping the throttle? Do you think the engine is going to cut out if you don't?

Don't mind me, I am grounded and frustrated. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
I did the stage 2 torque, not obnoxiously loud, more power, and no warranty problem. I know there are other cam / tuner combinations that will yield more performance, but I'm not trying to race anyone. I just want a roadworthy bike that if I should encounter any problems, the fix will be uncomplicated with no drama.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
tghe least expensive way is to get a baseball card and a clothespin. It worked on my Schwinn. Baseball card will need to be replaced periodically. :wink:

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Yes the fascination of having your Harley heard from miles away is something most all of us went through. I had loud pipes on most all my bikes and after years of riding loud bikes I have hearing loss. If you want to avoid hearing loss then you have to ride around with earplugs in your ears and then you can't hear the music. Now there is nothing wrong with hearing a little bark from the bike when you get on the throttle but when cruising you would like a nice low exhaust tone, which makes long rides much more comfortable. JMO

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive been riding since the 80's always had pipes i could hear , i ve never had a radio on a bike till now and usually wear earplugs anyway , been around guns for too many years , more hearing loss from that than the bikes , I like the sound , plus when the bitches are doing there makeup and reading text messages they hear me coming

·
Registered
685 Posts
While I am on this rant, what is the deal with blipping the throttle? Do you think the engine is going to cut out if you don't?
That one always bugged me to. My Shovel can idle (at 500rpms) just fine at long lights, and never misses a beat on takeoff ... With no need to "blip" or otherwise fiddle with the wick.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the dick head behind you is still reading his text messages , occasionally looking up to see the light, sometimes without knowing it they move forward , ever been sitting on your bike and car rolls into you??? you go down quick! Loud pipes keep those assholes awake and looking out the windshield instead of on there phones

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
ive been riding since the 80's always had pipes i could hear , i ve never had a radio on a bike till now and usually wear earplugs anyway , been around guns for too many years , more hearing loss from that than the bikes , I like the sound , plus when the bitches are doing there makeup and reading text messages they hear me coming
Actually, they don't hear you coming. Most of your sound is behind you, and with them in their triple sealed cars, they barely hear an ambulance I know I can barely hear an ambulance when I am in my wife's Buick. I sure can see it though which is why extra lights are more important for being noticed.

the dick head behind you is still reading his text messages , occasionally looking up to see the light, sometimes without knowing it they move forward , ever been sitting on your bike and car rolls into you??? you go down quick! Loud pipes keep those assholes awake and looking out the windshield instead of on there phones
In this case they might hear you, but you would have to revving the bike constantly for it to be loud enough.

They only situation I have ever been in where I thought loud pipes might be useful, would be lane splitting in California. The problem though is that you have to be beside them for them to hear you and if they are already committed to changing lanes it might be too late.

If the pipes are loud enough that people in closed up cars can hear you, then they are so loud that most people will continue to hate on motorcycles and those that ride them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What you have is what a Harley sounds like. ;)

Personally, I have a hard time distinguishing a loud Harley from a vintage Volkswagen beetle , or a redneck truck.

Oh and I have heard plenty of loud redneck Hondas. Even heard a goldwing with 6 inch straight pipes. Talk about loud!

I guess I just don't understand the fascination with being loud and obnoxious. It will fatigue you faster on a long ride. You can't enjoy the music.

Don't mind me, I am grounded and frustrated. :)
I understand the fascination... The dizzy drivers in my state will use you as a speed bump if they don't hear you.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Ah
I split lanes on the 405 freeway 5 days a week, 110 miles a day.

People hear me coming well in front of me so don't kid yourself if you think they can only hear you from the side or in the back.

Louder pipes make a huge difference for making cages know your close by.

Swomack

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've personally experienced approaching a sport bike rider as I was merging onto the interstate in my cage, windows up and radio on. He had a race can muffler, thank goodness because I never saw him, but I could hear him so I knew he was back there.

I slowed as I merged and he went by without incident. If it wasn't for his loud pipe, I never would have known he was there and it would not have had a happy ending.

Now, I'm not promoting open drag pipes, I agree they are obnoxious but anything that helps a cage to sense us is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
See now I wasnt even thinking about blipping the throttle while at a light or stop sign. Here I am thinking to myself how the hell does two downshift without blipping the throttle, he must be a tool or something....LMAO Just kidding.

I dont think I blip it when standing still but It may happen subconsiously. I may have to start paying more attention to my stopped habits.

Mike

·
Registered
684 Posts
On a side note, It has been brought up a few times in this thread about not hearing stuff while in the cage.

I am a professional driver and in my years of driving, I have found that even in the harsh New England winters, I drive with the drivers side window open, even if it is just an inch or two just so I can hear what is going on around me. I have to be honest, it has saved the life of a few people who decided to get in the blind spot of the truck and had I not had that extra sense of hearing it may have turned out badly, but instead was just a little reminder to myself as to why I always have the window down at least a little.

Sorry for the tangent.

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts