Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Shark will be here in a week, and though I have read some comments, how does one plug in all their stuff on a Custom?

I will have a battery tender, I guess a standard Pig Tail adapter for that?

Next, a smart phone mounted with Ram X mount.

In the winter, I have heated gear. On my old bike, I have a battery mounted pig tail adapter for that.

I am contemplating mounting a Power Vision, and occasionally, I take videos with a Go Pro.

Now I will not be using all this stuff at once, but I can definitely see having a smart phone and heated gear plugged in while wanting to video with the camera and keeping it charged. The custom has one power port.

Any recommendations? They would be MOST appreciated!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use a 90 degree cigarette lighter adapter I got off Amazon for cheap. It has 2 lighter jacks that I use that to power the phone and radar detector.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a 90 degree cigarette lighter adapter I got off Amazon for cheap. It has 2 lighter jacks that I use that to power the phone and radar detector.
If you have gear that has a USB power cable, you can get a single or double usb port that will fit in your lighter/power point. Got mine at pep boys for a few bucks.
I wish I knew the best type to get. Also, I wonder if hardwiring to the battery for one line is a good (or bad) thing.

The smart phone and the Go Pro at least will have USB, don't know about the Power Commander. I know the heated gear does not. That may be best to the battery. Thanks folks. Anyone else (please).

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,039 Posts
Use the under seat accessory connector for your electric riding gear. I believe there's also one inside the fairing. Go to Amazon and buy the repair manual for your bike, it'll pay off time and again, even if you don't do a lot of your own maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
I have an extra power point & USB that is inside my right glove box. Frankie has an extra power point he put in his tourpack in case something needs charged while not in use. We both have heated gear that is plugged into a battery harness from Gerbings. They are only about 10 bucks.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Old School

Battery Tender pigtail for heated gear, iPhone charger with a usb plug piggy back in the power port ( cig Lighter) takes care of three at a time for me.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an extra power point & USB that is inside my right glove box. Frankie has an extra power point he put in his tourpack in case something needs charged while not in use. We both have heated gear that is plugged into a battery harness from Gerbings. They are only about 10 bucks.
Hi Tracy. Does your heated gear have that round plug end? My HD gear (Gerbings) does. Are you saying that there is an adapter for this round plug to USB?

I saw those pics of the power point in the Tourpack, but this is a Custom and I do not have anything out back except a slipstream! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery Tender pigtail for heated gear, iPhone charger with a usb plug piggy back in the power port ( cig Lighter) takes care of three at a time for me.

This is the scenario I had in mind. I was just wondering if there was a better idea. I have heard of an HD under-seat multi-plug adapter, but I am not sure of what it does nor what the benefits would be. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,854 Posts
Hi Tracy. Does your heated gear have that round plug end? My HD gear (Gerbings) does. Are you saying that there is an adapter for this round plug to USB?

I saw those pics of the power point in the Tourpack, but this is a Custom and I do not have anything out back except a slipstream! Thanks!
I dont know of any USB adapter for the heated gear. I installed the USB for my iPod.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You'll want your heated gear pigtail wired to the accessory switch thats on the dash(the connector that it controls is right under the seat, in a perfect spot to fish the pigtail out, to plug into your vest). It is super handy to be able to switch it on and off, right in front of you. The in line switches that the the heated gear companies sell, are a toatal PITA to use while going down the road. As others have said, the service and parts manual for your bike, are your friend. One of the very first "accessories" to purchase, IMHO. Your bike should have came with a battery tender pigtail already hardwired to the battery, I believe? Also, be sure all pigtails wired to the battery, have an inline fuse! Never wire anything to the battery, without properly sized fuse protection.

Enjoy your new scoot!

Jeff

·
Registered
329 Posts
Heated gears take too many amps for a USB... and most USB adapters drop the voltage to 5 volts I think that cell phones and ipods use.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Do the double/piggy back adapters that plug into cig lighter charge both items at once? When I plug in GPS and samsung smart phone it does not seem to charge both.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've got the tourpak power point, and 3 more new ones sitting on the bench waiting for this winter's fairing removal. Intentions are to install 2 more power points, one in each of teh glove boxes, and maybe one more in the tourpak.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I am contemplating mounting a Power Vision

The Power Vision is powered by it's own cable that plugs into the ECM port, no other cable needed.

BTW, I bought a combo pack, cell phone charger which also came with a double USB adapter to plug into the power point. The cell charger works fine, but the USB adapter plug wipes out my radio signal every time I plug it in, even with nothing plugged into it.
The combo has the Duracell brand name on it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
iPhone charger from Radio Shack has a USB piggy back for charging two at the same time. Low draw, so I wired the power point constant hot.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Don't buy yourself the xgrip I think it is not solid it still moves after the smart phone is in already. I wasn't happy with it and I wound using the Iron Aces mount with the Motorola car dock. Look it up in my album.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't buy yourself the xgrip I think it is not solid it still moves after the smart phone is in already. I wasn't happy with it and I wound using the Iron Aces mount with the Motorola car dock. Look it up in my album.
Too late...I did already. Hope it works for me. Galaxy S3 with Otter Box Commuter case.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Power Vision is powered by it's own cable that plugs into the ECM port, no other cable needed.

BTW, I bought a combo pack, cell phone charger which also came with a double USB adapter to plug into the power point. The cell charger works fine, but the USB adapter plug wipes out my radio signal every time I plug it in, even with nothing plugged into it.
The combo has the Duracell brand name on it.
Quite correct. I forgot about the PV dedicated module. Thanks.

That is REALLY odd. It's weird stuff like this that I am trying to avoid.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got the tourpak power point, and 3 more new ones sitting on the bench waiting for this winter's fairing removal. Intentions are to install 2 more power points, one in each of teh glove boxes, and maybe one more in the tourpak.

This is a great idea of course, but I'm too chicken with a drill on the new machine...which I don't even get for another week!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts