Discussion Starter #1
I've got a "new to me" 08 Anniver bike.
Installed a detachable luggage rack and
the old antenna is in the way.
I've removed the front fairing in anticipation
of installiing a hidden antenna which just
arrived in todays mail.
What else might I have to remove to
take out the old antenna cable to the rear fender?
Do I have to take off the gas tank?
Anybody who's done this, I'd appreciate a
little assistance on how to properly do this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got a "new to me" 08 Anniver bike.
Installed a detachable luggage rack and
the old antenna is in the way.
I've removed the front fairing in anticipation
of installiing a hidden antenna which just
arrived in todays mail.
What else might I have to remove to
take out the old antenna cable to the rear fender?
Do I have to take off the gas tank?
Anybody who's done this, I'd appreciate a
little assistance on how to properly do this.
From what I remember the antenna cable is bunched up with some wires. You would have to take the tank off for sure, and peel the tape off the harness. It's lots of work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humm, sounds like a pita. I'll save this job for another day then.
For now I'll just put this chrome cap on the antenna mount and
tie up the old radio end antenna plug inside the fairing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just did mine when I installed the hidden antenna.
You need to take the tank, seat, left saddlebag and side cover off.
Trace the cable from front to back. Disconnect the cable from the back and trace it to the front.
Under the seat, the wiring harness makes several bends so you need to straighten it out in order to pull the cable thru.

I ended up cutting mine somewhere near the middle and pulling the respective pieces out of the wiring harness.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why don't you just cut the cable off as close as you can, if you are putting another ant. on anyway.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I just coiled mine up and left it under the side cover.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What he said. Why create extra work for yourself?
+1.. keep it simple man...just leave it alone in place... not like it weights a ton anyway... so no real benefit of taking it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That antenna and trunk light wiring cable coils up to the rear of the fuse box on my 2010 RGC. You might want to leave it there in case you find the hidden antenna performs poorly on AM, or someday you decide to put lighting on the rear trunk or feed the LED lights on an airfoil luggage rack. Remove it and you loose the option for both.

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
I might add that when I installed a chopped trunk on my 2010 FLTRX I found the H-D instructions for installing the Air Wing rack LED kit and moving the AM/FM antenna confusing. They want you to buy a coax extension kit for the antenna, and wire the rear LED light all the way forward to the Deutsch (SP?) Gray/Orange 4-wire connector at the rear of the fuel tank. BS.

Uncoil the existing coax and attached light wiring by the fuse box. Reroute it inside the frame to the front of the fender, or if desired alongside the left trunk mounting bracket. I ran it up the center of the fender and out the rear of the seat next to the rear attach bracket as I didn't want to be lookin' at it forever.

I drilled two holes in the bottom left forward trunk (one is ok as well) and ran the antenna coax and light wiring inside through rubber grommets. There's plenty of coax to reach the left rear inside of the trunk for the antenna, and plenty of wire from the rack LED to reach the light wiring's plug inside the trunk. To remove the trunk just unplug the antenna coax and wiring plug and remove from the trunk. Drop the antenna coax to the old antenna mount, screw on the mast, and you're back to stock.

Gary in Fairbanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts