Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in air ride. Something like Dirty Air. I was thinking about doing front and rear I love the way it looks with the air let out. My question is how does it handle compared to stock? I enjoy riding in the mountains and don't want to lose the ability to enjoy myself. Also, how is the load carrying capacity. Myself and my wife and clothes for a weekend are around 500 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had the dirty air shocks until I tried to ride me and the wife and some gear. It would not hold about 400 pounds without bottoming out. Fine with me by myself.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
If you want it for looks, as in dropping it down low when you park, or roll through the drive in on Saturday night, then air is the way to go.

But if you ride hard, then you'll do a lot better with a good set of coil over shocks.

Need to adjust for loads, get a set that are easy to alter the spring load. Progressive has several.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I assumed that would be the case. I do want to lower it when parked but I ride pretty dang hard (as much as you can on a harley lol) So I can assume I have to choose between performance or looks.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yeah I assumed that would be the case. I do want to lower it when parked but I ride pretty dang hard (as much as you can on a harley lol) So I can assume I have to choose between performance or looks.

Form or function. It's been messing with Harley riders since the first custom chopper hit the streets.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I ride hard, I'm fine with just me. Last night took a ride and my wife said it was a little rough for her than last time. I'm assuming it was due to having the tourpack to far back and it made her sit differently.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So your saying it's fine? When you stop does it tend to rise up? Or do you ride with it all the way up?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Only to an extent. I also ride sport bikes and really that is just to give you an idea of how I ride...yes even my roadglide. Here's my view on it. I tried the DIY thing. It wasn't so much the pain in the ass of getting the right pressure to ride well that pushed me away from it as it was the safety factor. I had a line come off in town and it dropped to the deck QUICK. If you ride aggressively you will not want something like that happening mid corner when you're already on the edge. It'll ruin your whole year. Maybe even your life. Personally I use Proggressive 944 on a custom lowering block to bring me down but still have suspension. Rides better than a stock Harley and sits pretty damn low. if you want low you have to give up a little but it's more than rideable.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I have the monroe diy air ride set up on my bike and I ride my rg hard when I'm with my buddies and it's completely fine. And yes some of those times are with my girlfriend on the back. I'm 330 lbs and she's about 118lbs. We've never had an issue in the twisties. And to really shock everyone.... I put a car tire on the back of my rg too. Still no issues in the twisties.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been running the diy kits for 7 years on my bikes. You just have to figure out what air pressure works for you and your load. Never had a problem with them bottoming out. I ride hard in the curves as well. As far as front air ride it's a little stiffer than stock, but again you can play with the pressure to soften or stiffen it up. If you feel a vibration in the ride you need to add some air to it. This is just my own opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only to an extent. I also ride sport bikes and really that is just to give you an idea of how I ride...yes even my roadglide. Here's my view on it. I tried the DIY thing. It wasn't so much the pain in the ass of getting the right pressure to ride well that pushed me away from it as it was the safety factor. I had a line come off in town and it dropped to the deck QUICK. If you ride aggressively you will not want something like that happening mid corner when you're already on the edge. It'll ruin your whole year. Maybe even your life. Personally I use Proggressive 944 on a custom lowering block to bring me down but still have suspension. Rides better than a stock Harley and sits pretty damn low. if you want low you have to give up a little but it's more than rideable.

Yeah I ride sport bikes and dirt bikes and ADV just sold a Roadstar Warrior that was very enjoyable as well but I can't ride everything I have as it is. Most of the time I ride the RG now anyway. Is the fail rate of air ride really that high?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Yeah I ride sport bikes and dirt bikes and ADV just sold a Roadstar Warrior that was very enjoyable as well but I can't ride everything I have as it is. Most of the time I ride the RG now anyway. Is the fail rate of air ride really that high?

I can't speak to the failure rate. I'm simply saying that when I push a bike to the limits I like to take as many possible failures out of the equation as possible. I'm not saying it won't handle being pushed. I never found out because one time of having a line pop off was enough for me to not feel safe. There's nothing air ride can do for you that coilovers can't do better except look cool when it's parked. And don't flog me fellas. I'm not saying that doesn't have any value. to each their own. It's jut my personal opinion and experience with a DIY air ride. Maybe legends is a better setup. I still feel an Ohlins is going to outperform any air ride in any situation, other than parked.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about using hardlines on something like airfx or tricky?

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
as far as reliability is concerned its like anything else, shit sometimes happens. ive had my Monroe diy air ride which is pretty much the same as the dirty air but less expensive on the bike for almost 4 years without failure that wasn't because of it being my fault. my first road test after installing the air ride I had a line disconnect but I found it was because I did not insert it fully into place. I re-inserted the line and made sure it was in properly and all has been good since. I also had one shock eyelet break on me but again it was my fault for not doing what was recommended and welding the eyelets so they dont break. I bought new shocks and welded them like I should've and again ive had no problem since. as far as the air line is concerned, I plumbed the line so it doesn't rub on anything and ive never had a problem with it rubbing anywhere. as far as ride is concerned, the dirty air and my Monroe diy air ride are the same so id imagine the dirty air rides like mine which is about the same as the stock shocks. there are way better air ride kits out there but for several more hundred dollars if not thousands more. even with my replacement shocks and everything I think I'm just touching the $300. mark. the better set ups will reach $1000. or better. I believe the dirty air is roughly $400ish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So how about the load carrying capacity? One poster said it couldn't hold 400?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would stick with a 944 they are reasonably priced and handle awesome. If you decide to get them remember when ordering a 13inch shock will sit at 12 with that model shock. They have a flat spring at top of shock that bottoms really quick. Its designed to give more travel out of the shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts