Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12" would work for me, 16" would be great but I dont feel spending $1k on all the bs, the stock bars hurt my shoulders bad, the rear delt has a nasty pinch after about 100 miles, need to figure out a solution before spring, and apes look cool and the bikes handles so much better.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had 12" bars on my previous bike (Electra Glide) and 14" bars on the one before that (Road King)

Yes they did made my arms, shoulders & upper back relax a bit more during longer rides.
The ONLY negative I have to say about riding with higher bars are 2 things :

1) When it rains ,water runs down your arm into your armpit then down your sides... You'd have to have a well fitted raingear with an airtight seal around your wrist because Im telling you that plain 'ol velcro strap that normal raingear bring are NOT going to preventt water entering your arm..

2) Depending where you live and what time of year you ride (or don't ride)
Cold wind is a bitch when you have your hands up there..... ....

I'd go with no more than 14"... ...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do apes make it harder to control in curves ???? what about low speed maneuvering??

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Apes all depend on the height and the width. Last bike I had 21" apes on. Very comfortable on straight away highways, not so good in corners and low speed manuevering. I now have 12" wild one outlaws and thier the best bars I have ever had. Great in turns, handling, highway speeds etc.

The reason I only went with 12's is because I didn't want to spend the money on cables and wiring. I initially thought they were gonna be too small but I have them pushed all the way forward and freakin love them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Apes all depend on the height and the width. Last bike I had 21" apes on. Very comfortable on straight away highways, not so good in corners and low speed manuevering. I now have 12" wild one outlaws and thier the best bars I have ever had. Great in turns, handling, highway speeds etc.

The reason I only went with 12's is because I didn't want to spend the money on cables and wiring. I initially thought they were gonna be too small but I have them pushed all the way forward and freakin love them.
Post a Pix. I would like to see how they look...
thanks !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So 12" would be a safe bet not to change out all the cables, works for me then.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I am running 14's on mine, and love em. No issues in the turns or slow speed ops. If your pullin up short because of $$$ you may want to think about doing the install yourself. You can spend WAY less than 1K, and have the bars that work for you.
I did it the hard way. I started with 10" PYO monkee bars, and then switched them out for 14's.

Rowdy

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
So 12" would be a safe bet not to change out all the cables, works for me then.
12" bars are pretty much the limit for using factory cables. If you have a newer bike some have said that the wires work all the way to 16". And yes Rowdy is correct, doing it yourself will save 100's of dollars. Thier are tremendous do it yourself help on this forum.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
12" bars are pretty much the limit for using factory cables. If you have a newer bike some have said that the wires work all the way to 16". And yes Rowdy is correct, doing it yourself will save 100's of dollars. Thier are tremendous do it yourself help on this forum.
Do you know if the 09 is considered a newer bike that can go higher,
I have done them before on my other bikes, I just don't wnat to fuck around with taking the fairing off, and buying the brake lines and all the electrical work, want somethign easy to do and get away form stock bars asap.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
FYI, I used to get that pinch in the delts like you did with stock bars. I initially went from stock bars to the H-D mild buck horn replacement for several years, then switched to the PYO 10" OEM Monkey Bars about 2 1/2 years ago. As soon as I got the PYO's on it, I rode to IN and back with no issues, whatsoever. 10" keeps your hands just below the shoulder. Mine are lined up with the forks. Works well for me. Elbows are slightly bent. Very comfortable in town and on the interstate.

·
Registered
355 Posts
In F2) No person shall operate any motorcycle with handlebars or with handgrips that are higher than the top of the shoulders of the person
operating the motorcycle while properly seated upon the motorcycle.lorida

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
In F2) No person shall operate any motorcycle with handlebars or with handgrips that are higher than the top of the shoulders of the person
operating the motorcycle while properly seated upon the motorcycle.lorida
Same law in CT but I ran 21's for 4 years. Never yanked. Just don't be an ass in front of the cops and they usually leave you alone here.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
LAXINHARLEY love the look. I bought the same bars but haven't had the time to install them yet. They look great pushed forward. I was considering doing the same with mine when I finally get them on. Thanks for sharing!
Mike U.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
LAXINHARLEY love the look. I bought the same bars but haven't had the time to install them yet. They look great pushed forward. I was considering doing the same with mine when I finally get them on. Thanks for sharing!
Mike U.
No problem Mike U. Your gonna love them!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Had 10's ,...
bought 16's.
Could of gone a few inches higher.
Depends on ur Seat Height, Arm Length, wether ya slouch when ya ride, or sit up straight,....
I'm 6ft-4inches , on sum days, 6ft 2inches on others,...
Long Sleeve Dress Shirt is a 38 inch sleeve.
Theres sum Chick on here thats got 14's!,...but shes lil.
hehehe

·
Registered
129 Posts
hehehe
IIRC - She is an admin and she is 5'9" tall.

Not that I am stalking her but I have never had apes and was always nervous about making the jump. After seeing that a woman 3" shorter than me can handle it, I figured it was time for me to take the skirt off.

I have read some people getting away with 14's and not having to change cables (just re-route the clutch cable) but I have also read that 14's require a longer clutch cable.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My bike is an 11 RGU and I have 16" Burly Apes. I can assure you that the wires will not work without being extended. IIRC most of the left side would have reached but were streached a little too tight for comfort. The right needed all of the wires lengthened. Also to route the clutch and brake like in the oem position I had to go +10" on them.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Had 10's ,...
bought 16's.
Could of gone a few inches higher.
Depends on ur Seat Height, Arm Length, wether ya slouch when ya ride, or sit up straight,....
I'm 6ft-4inches , on sum days, 6ft 2inches on others,...
Long Sleeve Dress Shirt is a 38 inch sleeve.
hehehe
Exactly right Neano. Theres too much variables when it comes to apes. You also have to take into consideration pullback and width. Also do you want them in line with the forks, pushed forward etc...Best advice is find a pair on a bike you like and sit on it for feel and comfort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts