Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you for the explanation. I have never seen the madsted. I'll have to try this. The buffeting around the ears is driving me nuts. I moved to the 12" and it make a huge difference but now the buffeting is under the chin.

Thanks again.
I used to run a Klockwerks and it was OK but it was not what I wanted. I run a 12" Windvest for a year and then I went to a 14" Windvest, the 14" has been the best for me so far, I look about 2" over the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just wanted to update everyone one this mod. I been running the bike for a while with the windshield mounted this way and it does reduce the buffeting substantially and I have run speeds up to 115mph and the windshield is very very secure. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just letting you all know that after reading this I went out and did this install. I had to change the parts list a little as I could not find the exact plastic parts. But it turned out fine, jury is still out on if it changes anything or not.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just letting you all know that after reading this I went out and did this install. I had to change the parts list a little as I could not find the exact plastic parts. But it turned out fine, jury is still out on if it changes anything or not.
Let me know how you like it! I have the 14" Windvest on my bike so I would think that some windshields would have a little different effect than others. The best thing about this install is that the windshield is very secure and it has a clean look IMO. I did not put any door trim on the bottom of the windshield and I removed the foam strips that were on the outer fairing so The air would flow through better.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Anyone have updates on IronMark's mod. I makes sense to me...just wanted to see what results were with varying windshields.

Please make sure you also include what brand/model/height windshield you are using.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Anyone have updates on IronMark's mod. I makes sense to me...just wanted to see what results were with varying windshields.

Please make sure you also include what brand/model/height windshield you are using.
+1 Anyone else tried this and have any feedback on how well it works particularly at highway speeds? I was going to do this mod a few weeks ago and decided to do a stage 1 first.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have been running the bike with the windshield installed this way since I did the mod on 3/28/12 and I have had absolutely NO issues with the windshield coming loose or any type of failure in the mounts. The windshield is very very secure and I run at highway speed a lot (did 3,000 miles+ in July) and I have reached speeds over 115mph with no issues. I am very happy with this mod and how secure the windshield is on the bike.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have been running the bike with the windshield installed this way since I did the mod on 3/28/12 and I have had absolutely NO issues with the windshield coming loose or any type of failure in the mounts. The windshield is very very secure and I run at highway speed a lot (did 3,000 miles+ in July) and I have reached speeds over 115mph with no issues. I am very happy with this mod and how secure the windshield is on the bike.
Thanks for the update ironmark. I have a few questions regarding this mod:

1) Do you have any whistling noise from this setup?
2) When it rains do you get water coming off the fairing and running under the windshield? If so, does the water stream back on you?
3) Do you have any buffeting at highway speeds? If so, at what speed does it start? NOTE: I believe you have a 14" WV windshield.

Just to elaborate on question #3, I noticed the guys discussing the Madstad w/s said they needed 2.5-3" of separation between their w/s and their base to eliminate buffeting at highway speeds. This mod doesn't have near that amount so I was wondering how well the WV worked for eliminating buffeting with this amount of separation between the fairing and the w/s.​

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Thanks for the update ironmark. I have a few questions regarding this mod:

1) Do you have any whistling noise from this setup?
2) When it rains do you get water coming off the fairing and running under the windshield? If so, does the water stream back on you?
3) Do you have any buffeting at highway speeds? If so, at what speed does it start? NOTE: I believe you have a 14" WV windshield.

Just to elaborate on question #3, I noticed the guys discussing the Madstad w/s said they needed 2.5-3" of separation between their w/s and their base to eliminate buffeting at highway speeds. This mod doesn't have near that amount so I was wondering how well the WV worked for eliminating buffeting with this amount of separation between the fairing and the w/s.​
No whistling or water problems at all. There is no such thing as being in a air bubble when riding in the rain so when it rains we can get wet, the harder it rains the wetter we get, if any water does come between the fairing and the windshield it is very little. I don't have any buffeting that is caused by the windshield using the 14" Windvest, I don't run fairing lowers so I get some air turbulence from the air hitting my legs when I install my snap on leather lowers the air turbulence decreases. Going with this mod compared to price of a Mastad is worth it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No whistling or water problems at all. There is no such thing as being in a air bubble when riding in the rain so when it rains we can get wet, the harder it rains the wetter we get, if any water does come between the fairing and the windshield it is very little. I don't have any buffeting that is caused by the windshield using the 14" Windvest, I don't run fairing lowers so I get some air turbulence from the air hitting my legs when I install my snap on leather lowers the air turbulence decreases. Going with this mod compared to price of a Mastad is worth it.
Thanks ironmark, I'm definitely going to give this a try; soon.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just completed this mod today and I have to say it gave me the biggest bang for my buck as far as reducing buffeting. I could read highway signs at 85 mph from a distance without any trouble at all. I have lowers on my bike but didn't think about closing the vents to see if there's any change in the amount of buffeting left, but with the results I just saw, I wouldn't close them for the very small amount of buffeting I felt at 85 mph.

I'm so glad I don't have to fool with wellnuts anymore. And in case anyone is curious, this is a very easy mod. The toughest part for me was cleaning the mess off the bottom of the windshield that held the trim on. If it weren't for Goo Gone, I'd probably still be wiping that mess off.

Thanks for posting this mod IronMark.

·
Registered
268 Posts
No the fairing is vary thin where the holes are, the vibration caused the problem. It's possible my choice of windshield to try this with was partially to blame. Also didn't like having to clean the bees and bugs out from the open seam. Just not my cup of tea. I hope others have better luck.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.