Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found out a couple weeks back that the "run-out" on the crank is .004 out. So the question becomes should I send out the crank and have it "trued"? I would like to do an up-grade kit from this company, http://www.head-quarters.com/html/tc113_kits.html at some point. I've already installed the "HV" camplate and oil pump from Feuling and it's nice. But the crank is only .004 out, so how important is it really.......

Nevadasun

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't like anything over .003, others will have their own opinion. What year is your bike and how many miles?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'd go with anything Doug, Duke, or Boz (HQ guys) recommend. I've gotten excellent advice and perfomance from them. I'm on my third HQ motor and strongly recommend them to anyone that will listen.

I trust them enough that I drove (bike in the back of the truck :eek:) 1,400 miles (one way) to have Duke break in and tune my bike. Ended up redoing everything a local independent did, but that's a whole other story. :mad::mad::mad:

Check out the Yahoo group they have. There is a lot of great information there and they answer any questions you might have.

In my opinion you've made an excellent choice. They have a proven 'formula' that works when followed. I sacrificed a bit of performance by not following some of the recommendations but for me it was a 'looks' thing (dual exhaust and intake).

Stephen

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you're going the 113" route using Doug's kit you'll need to bore the cases for the cylinders to fit. The cases have to come out and be split anyway, perfect time to get the crank true'd and welded. I wouldn't pull the crank JUST for .004", but if it's coming out anyway there's no excuse not to.

·
Registered
946 Posts
They're pretty hard to get in touch with over the phone and try to discourage it. Try the Yahoo forum they have in the Customer help section of the web site or the tech email address they offer.

I've always had good response with the forum.

Good luck and enjoy!

Stephen

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
At .004 your crank is probably better than half the 07 and up engines out there. Unless you plan to use gear drive cams or go bigger on your engine, I wouldn't even worry. If you do upgrade that's the time to weld and true the crank.

P

·
0 Posts
if your doing a hi-po build (witch i guess you are or you wouldnt be looking @ HQ stuff),have the crank trued,pinned & welded

·
Registered
830 Posts
I asked the same question last fall.
My Indy said anything under .006" was fine.
I also asked Frank Drago, he said anything up to .0065" was acceptable.
I take just about anything Frank says about Harley performance as gospel and my Indy agreeing with him can't be a bad thing!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think it's important to know HOW the crank run out is being measured. In a truing stand or mounted with or without the cam support plate in place.

From my experience, crank run out NEVER gets better.. it only gets worse... and one day your oil light goes on... and you are d o n e.

S&S warns clearly that more than .003" runout is unacceptable. From their Gear drive install doc.

"Check pinion shaft runout. Indicate end of pinion shaft at cam support plate bushing surface and rotate engine; reading must be .003” or less total indicated reading (TIR). If reading is greater than .003” TIR the crankshaft must be repaired or replaced to correct excess runout before installing gear drive cams. Failure to correct excess runout may lead to engine damage not covered under S&S warranty."

P

·
0 Posts
measured anywhere (bearing surfaces or pinion shaft)run-out should not exceed .003 (we like no more than .0015).this whole .003 or .0065 or .012 is exceptable started with the twin cam motors & builders that havnt been around before that,we`ve been doing high performance HD motors WAY before it was "cool".on a pan,shovel or evo,NO builder would ever think of doing any high perf mods (or about any other work) with a lower end out more than .002 (we wouldnt anyway)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
measured anywhere (bearing surfaces or pinion shaft)run-out should not exceed .003 (we like no more than .0015).this whole .003 or .0065 or .012 is exceptable started with the twin cam motors & builders that havnt been around before that,we`ve been doing high performance HD motors WAY before it was "cool".on a pan,shovel or evo,NO builder would ever think of doing any high perf mods (or about any other work) with a lower end out more than .002 (we wouldnt anyway)
No argument at all. I'm with ya 200%. Been watching the specs open up since the early Evo days and really started shaking my head out of the gate with the twincam. Swore I was done buyin' new from Harley after they decided .012" was acceptable... clearly Harley bean counters subscribe to the made in China rule, "close enough is good enough"... At least I knew how deep the shit was in the bucket when I dove in...

I was only adding that the run out does indicate differently depending on the method used.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
There has been a missssss understanding. At Harley Motor Company its ok..
(Not here At Dragos Bike Works.)
Avg Crank we see from 07 and up has been 4/8 thou run out.
HD will allow up to 12 thou in new books. We like to see below 3 But not every one is going to fix there cranks for a simple cam change.

So Please under stand we seen guys install 103 or 107 kits with more than 6.5 thou and having good luck and some well not so good..... We dont like that but we also allow the customer to make that discuision after we explain because at My shop we will not install cams if it has over 4 thou with out a waver signed.

We dont like to see that and we inspect every cam change or build before we install any thing and explan would we find.:D

P

·
0 Posts
nice to hear,i was HOPING that .0065 R/O wasnt acceptable at your place!!:eek:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Interesting, the direction this thread has taken. Well, I had a conversation with "Andrew" at Revolution Performance Products. If I send the crank to them he said there is a 99% chance when finished the crank will be below .001 and nothing ever goes out of the shop over .015 ( think I have thoes numbers right). So, Performance Products will get the work also, I'll have better connecting rods installed at the same time. Not really sure if I'll go with a 107 or 113 kit; I'll make that decision when the time comes.

If anyone else has any positive input I'm willing to listen.

Nevadasun

·
Registered
34 Posts
crank

Found .006 on my 2011 RGC. Went ahead and did the crank and timken conversion. Kept it 103" but with better components. Plenty of power now. 112tq and 106hp. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
830 Posts
There has been a missssss understanding. At Harley Motor Company its ok..
(Not here At Dragos Bike Works.)
Avg Crank we see from 07 and up has been 4/8 thou run out.
HD will allow up to 12 thou in new books. We like to see below 3 But not every one is going to fix there cranks for a simple cam change.

So Please under stand we seen guys install 103 or 107 kits with more than 6.5 thou and having good luck and some well not so good..... We dont like that but we also allow the customer to make that discuision after we explain because at My shop we will not install cams if it has over 4 thou with out a waver signed.

We dont like to see that and we inspect every cam change or build before we install any thing and explan would we find.:D
Frank,
If I misunderstood what you told me about runout then I apologize. I certainly did not mean to put words in your mouth.
I do stand by my conviction that most everything you say about performance is pretty close to gospel.
I just need to be sure i understood it properly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts