Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 rg. all stock . seems during this past summer it barely started a few times then tried to start it yesterday and it was dead but it has been really cold.
once in awhile I put the tender on it, but just over 3 years I thought it should be fine. do like 6k a year in it, and ride to work everyday spring through late fall when its not raining, but its only 5 miles each way.gets run a lot further on weekends.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
I got about 5 years out of my stock battery. Never has there been a tender on it even through the new England winter months. I replaced it alil over a year ago with a battery I got from Batterymart for $99. Also never sees a tender

·
Registered
128 Posts
The battery in my 08 lasted until the spring of 14. I kept mine on a tender in the winter. I think that helps a lot. I had a friend who's battery lasted less than a year. Sometimes you get a good sometimes you get a bad one.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The battery in my 08 lasted until the spring of 14. I kept mine on a tender in the winter.
+++^ that. Exact same. '08 with tender made it to spring last year. Was showing signs of weakness so I went with replacement from BatteryMart - OEm replacement and best price.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
I had one that lasted 7 years and was on a tender anytime I was not riding. Had another HD that only lasted 2 years and on a tender when not riding, I politely discussed that with the dealer that I got it from and they replaced it for me. I will try other suppliers before going with HD again.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The battery on 2004 Classic lasted 6 years and was still good in 2010 when I sold it and purchased an ultra classic. The battery in the UC only last 4 years before I replaced it with a Battery Warehouse unit.

I keep my bike on a tender when not using it so I am not sure what the difference is. Except last winter was might cold here on the east coast.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you keep the battery on tender during the colder months it should last +3 years; cold weather flattens them really quickly.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Battery life also depends on the environment. Here in the desert you're on borrowed time past 2 years. Over the years I have tried with consistent use of a tender and without. Doesn't matter. The summers take it out of the battery. Now I only use a tender if I know I won't ride for a few days... and that only happens when I go on a diving trip.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I typically get six to eight years . I just replaced one that was about 18 months old because of a bad stator , the one before it was about two and a half years because of a bad stator ..

You really need a smart charger , that 'maintains' or shuts off when the battery gets a full charge , and turns back on at a certain level to trickle it back up to a full charge ..

Not saying it is gospel , but I have read where it takes 11 miles at 3000 rpm for the battery to recover from a start up ..

JtB

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with pargenz, I live in Florida and ride everyday. I get two years to the month on mine and they die. The heat kills them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
No 2 batteries will be the same due to temperatures and many other factors.
The battery on my 2007 Dyna CVO is original. My 2011 Glide still has the original, but at times cranks slow.
Both stay on a battery tender while in hibernation.
What I do know is, every spring both bikes start right up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Living in southern AZ with our summer temps I have never gotten more then 3 years (give or take a couple of months) out of any battery, no matter what brand of battery/bike. I use a battery tender when my bikes are parked for more then a couple of days.

Once owned a 09 Victory Vision and went thru 3 batteries in three years due to an electrical/charging problem that two different dealers could not isolate/correct. That was a very frustrating time.

regards,

·
Registered
250 Posts
Batteries are rated for so many starts. Those of us that ride everyday (in the warmer climates) tend to go through batteries about every 2 years. The battery is a 2 year rated battery. I know people who ride theirs less and when not riding have it on a tender and get 4+ years out of them. Mine average 2 years.

·
Registered
380 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had the same experience for the last couple of decades, you get a little over 2 years on a battery in the Arizona desert. That reminds me...I'll have to go out this weekend and get a good ride-in when it hits 72 F; have to make sure that I keep that battery fully charged.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I had to replace the battery on my 2011 this summer....... but I was also dealing with a compensator going bad. So I think that helped kill the battery life.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
To all of my desert brothers: this is why I get my batteries at Batteries Plus. They come with a 24-month warranty that isn't prorated. If it fails within 2 years you get a new one on them. Outside of 2 years... well...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting array of answers. My less than scientific survey from the last 12-13 years with an assortment of bikes, 4 metric and my current 2012 RG leads me to believe that if I don't use a tender at all I will get about 3 years on a battery. If I hard wire in leads for a tender and plug it in daily, regardless of outside temps, that battery life extends to 5 years. Obviously, the RG hasn't had either the 3 or the 5 year test of time but I don't foresee any change. My 90' Virago has always preferred a hot battery and probably is the reason I make a habit of keeping my bikes on tenders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts