Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an '09 CVO RG and it has something that I have never had before.
Performance Machine 14" Apes. I've ridden it only for a short test ride and wonder how long I should try to get used to the new position.
My '04 Super Glide had 3 inch risers and Flat Track bars and was perfectly comfortable. I have also ridden RG's
at my local demo days in the past and found the stock bars quite natural.

The new experience is, while not uncomfortable, just not natural for me. Now I understand that there is quite a difference from the other setups and there will be a learning curve but I just wonder if anybody else has made a similar change and if so, how long before you felt completely comfortable with the new setup.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel you man 14's are pretty tall to me and I'm 6'2 but... After putting 12's on my RG, the first couple rides I thought it was a bad idea. Then after riding it for a week I started thinking of other things while riding. Then about a month later a buddy bought a brand new stock RG, so I jumped on for a short ride. Then I remebered how much I did not miss my stock bars. Nice looking ride, dont let the bars turn you off, they change easy! Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel you man 14's are pretty tall to me and I'm 6'2 but... After putting 12's on my RG, the first couple rides I thought it was a bad idea. Then after riding it for a week I started thinking of other things while riding. Then about a month later a buddy bought a brand new stock RG, so I jumped on for a short ride. Then I remebered how much I did not miss my stock bars. Nice looking ride, dont let the bars turn you off, they change easy! Good luck
I don't intend to cut and run, just trying to get an understanding of other peoples experiences, so thank for your input. I guess the fact that these are my first time with apes and I've been riding for 47 years may help to explain my question. Maybe I'll just concentrate on how weird the footboards feel and forget about the bars like you said.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
If you are not used to riding with ape hangers it does take a bit to get used to. Take it out for a nice long ride a few times and you will get comfortable with them. But I agree, visually, that does not appear to be a CVO. What does your title say?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But I agree, visually, that does not appear to be a CVO. What does your title say?
Title code is 5HD1PY for CVO. What happened is that the previous owner had an unfortunate meeting with a deer and the shop that did the repairs had a complete set of body work that was brand new take offs for a custom build that they had done, hence the different look.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Personally, I like the riding position and bars on the stock '16 RGU.
I also like the riding position and bars on the stock '17 Road King.
The most natural feeling riding position of any Harley I have tried is the '16 Heritage Softail with it's mini apes.

I ride curvy roads and even though I could push shoulder height and higher ape bikes through the curves it never really felt comfortable. Felt like I looked cool, and my armpits felt cool, but just felt dangerous on combination curves.

The nice thing is that it is much easier to go with lower bars than with higher bars since any wiring or plumbing lengthening has already been done.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the stock bars as well ... For the reasons given above.

Apes are a flashy kind of boulevard cool that I never have liked. They just don't strike me as practical in inclement weather, or during spirited riding.

It's your bike, make it fit you..

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Imo. They're comfortable or they're not. I've gone from drag bars to 18" apes and really didn't "need to get used to" them. And I'm not saying that I'm any more experienced or any better of a rider. Just that I know right away if I'm comfortable with something.

I would worry less about giving up and more about my comfort zone.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have drag bars on one bike and 12" apes on the RG. I have no issue getting comfortable on either within seconds of going out on a ride. Comfort is key to control I figure. Make it work for you rather than put up with something you don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Imo. They're comfortable or they're not. I've gone from drag bars to 18" apes and really didn't "need to get used to" them. And I'm not saying that I'm any more experienced or any better of a rider. Just that I know right away if I'm comfortable with something.

I would worry less about giving up and more about my comfort zone.
I kinda feel like this. I went from stock parts to 16" apes and instantly loved them. So for me....I don't think there is /was a "getting used to " period at all.

That said...if I were you, I'd put 1000 miles on them and if they still didn't feel right...then I'd go back to stock or stock-ish bars that you know will feel good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put the buky Malo 12s on my 2016 and love them cant imagine riding with out apes of some sort when i ride the wifes softail deluxe the steering feels heavy

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with the "go with what's comfy" over what "looks good". I have never understood the appeal of these giant ape hangers, but then again I have never ridden a bike with them. I've sat on them but I have a bum shoulder that doesn't like to be raised, so I never gave it a shot. Almost every time I go to my dealership they say "Man, you need some 16" apes on that thing. You'll be way more comfortable since you're a big dude (I'm 6'3", 260 with long arms and torso)." The stock bars seem to be great for me so I'm not going to change bars just for looks or because someone else thinks I should.

The only thing I would wonder about is if I end up getting a seat that pushed me back some, that I might want some sort of riser or extension piece to bring the stock bars back so I'm not reaching. Maybe something like that is a better option vs getting apes/all new bars?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with the "go with what's comfy" over what "looks good". I have never understood the appeal of these giant ape hangers, but then again I have never ridden a bike with them. I've sat on them but I have a bum shoulder that doesn't like to be raised, so I never gave it a shot. Almost every time I go to my dealership they say "Man, you need some 16" apes on that thing. You'll be way more comfortable since you're a big dude (I'm 6'3", 260 with long arms and torso)." The stock bars seem to be great for me so I'm not going to change bars just for looks or because someone else thinks I should.
I was kinda like you. I just couldn't imagine how apes might be better than stock. Kinda goes against my intuition. But I did now that the stock bars were making my shoulders start to burn after about an hour or so.

I used to sit on my bike and try to imagine them. I'd hold up my arms and think theres just no way. Feels so wrong. I'd lay my wrists on top of my mirrors and try to figure it out.

Finally I was at the local Harley swapmeet and Factory 47 has a booth there every month. They had a old frame welded to an stand with a solo seat and you could try all the bars and size of bars that they off while sitting on this "demonstrator"

Sure enough....the 14" and 16" didn't feel bad. In fact kinda comfortable. Certainly not like when I was holding my hands up.

So I pulled the trigger and got the 16"'s. I'm here to tell you.....one of the best mods I've done. I can ride now for 3 hours and I"m sure longer. They really did make a difference.

So, find a bike that has them......dealership? Ask if you can "try them out" and sit on one for a couple minutes. I'm 6"3" like you with long arms and torso......I think you might like them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I just bought an '09 CVO RG and it has something that I have never had before.
Performance Machine 14" Apes. I've ridden it only for a short test ride and wonder how long I should try to get used to the new position.
My '04 Super Glide had 3 inch risers and Flat Track bars and was perfectly comfortable. I have also ridden RG's
at my local demo days in the past and found the stock bars quite natural.

The new experience is, while not uncomfortable, just not natural for me. Now I understand that there is quite a difference from the other setups and there will be a learning curve but I just wonder if anybody else has made a similar change and if so, how long before you felt completely comfortable with the new setup.

Thanks for your input.
I think the problem is those particular bars and not the height. The wrist angle looks ridiculous to me, I can't see how they would be comfortable at all. I have 14" wild1's, which are fantastic bars and very comfortable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the 16" apes on my last fatboy and took a bit of getting use to but after a while if you hop on a stock bike it just feels wrong.
Probably hardest part is in the twistys and slower riding but bloody nice on the back,thats for sure.
When i bought the 2016 RGs it was the stock bars that won me over as they were lots higher than most other stock,I knew I could ride it without changing out the bars straight up.I have thought of changing to 14s but not seriously.
Dont change them out you will get use to them and you will learn to love them,give it a month or two

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
I always thought they looked dumb on RG. My shoulders and arms hurt after a while. Then I installed 14" apes. I am 5' 9", and the bars are shoulder height on stock seat.
Noticeable difference. Parking lot you have to be just as careful as before I think. Not overly or more than usual.
Like others said, give them time, and if not for you, you wil find many people here that will send you their stock ones for the cost of shipping!

Dan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts