Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember the crazy mystery leak I had last year.

I spent 600 at a dealer in Florida to have it fixed. Main issue was starter seal.

It went bad within 700 miles but I was 1200 miles away back home.

So my local dealer did it again for 500.

Now its leaking AGAIN!.

Its been exactly 1 year to the DAY since they fixed it. I've put 7250-8000 miles on since. I have the paperwork.

Do you think they will warrant the service work after a year and 8k miles? Bike has no warranty.

I can't afford to keep doing this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You need to find out why it keeps coming back...but if it's just the seal, try getting a James gasket kit for 60 bucks and a few hand tools and fix it yourself. It's easy work.

Better than throwing 600 at it every time.

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
Where's the 600 coming from to replace a starter seal ? I dont see it being a 5+ hr. job.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I guess that you are taking about the o-ring on the starter body,you should start by making sure there is not a gouge or a burr in the bore on the inner primary that can cut the o-ring and make it leak,if all is good reinstall the starter and make sure the o-ring has a small amount of drag on it as you push it back into the inner primary,if it feels like there is no drag a quick fix is to remove the o-ring wrap the outer starter body (the groove area) with a couple wraps of teflon tape then reinstall o-ring this will tighten up the o-ring,we do this at work on loose o-rings,the bore in the inner primary may be a bit to large or the groove dia on the starter may be on the small side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.