Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how low the idle on these newer bikes can safely be set without causing oiling / pressure issues? Mines is set at 980 right now which my tuner stated was the lowest harley recommend but I sure like the way may 95CI sounded at 800-850 rpms... it had 50k on it when I sold it and I'd never had any issues with it. My tuner told me he'd put it lower if I'd like but I held off until I did some research

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Factory sets the idle at 1050, I turned my idle down to 975 and it seems OK I tried lower idle but it seemed a little to rough. Not only is it best to have the idle a little high because it oils the top end better but it is also better for the electrical system, with the bikes having more lights and electronics the higher idle will keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
There was an extended discussion about this on HTT a few years ago. IIRC, the lowest you can safely go is 900rpm due to oil pressure. But the question that came up was "why?" Mine's set at 1000rpm, as the map came from Fuel Moto. Can't imagine wanting it any lower.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A "comfortable" idle can vary from engine to engine, but for the most past, right around 1000 rpms.
FWIW, our AHDRA Modified Class bike idled "comfortably" at 2200 rpms.
Scott

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess it will be staying at 980 then....
thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
From Harley Davidson:
"To ensure proper charging at idle, maintain an idle
speed of approximately 950-1050 RPM. Insufficient idle
speed may drain the battery in excessive idle situations,
resulting in insufficient voltage to the ECM, ignition coil
and fuel pump (which can result in a variety of operating problems"

If one wants a lopey sound, put a lopey cam in the damn thing. :smile:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Odd that HD did not mention anthing in regards to oil pressure, or lack proper oil pressure at an idle that is too low of an rpm........which would be a LARGE concern of mine.
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts