Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although I only have 8,400 miles on the bike, I'm down to 3/32 remaining on the front tire and 5/32 remaining on the rear. As I recall, the Dunlops come out of the factory with 5/32 and 11/32, respectively. The sides sing to me in a twisty, but no cupping so far. I have always maintained the tire pressure religiously on my bikes, but find these hot Texas roads (mostly chip and seal) tend to wear-out a rear tire in 8,000-9,000 miles and the front in 12,000-15,000.

I know I will need to replace my tires this summer, so I picked up some new Michelin Commander II's while they were recently on sale. I've run MC II's on two Ultras and get great wear. I have a 1,000 mile solo trip with lots of twisters coming up the first week of May and will prolly swap the tires out before the trip just to err on the side of safety and convenience.

But it got me to thinking...

Considering the wear-bar gets exposed at 2/32, how low will YOU go? This is intended to be somewhat of a rhetorical safety question for you given the new riding season is upon us.

·
Registered
593 Posts
wearbar

If your not planning on riding in the rain, then pull them when you hit the wearbar. I think all the Dunlops sing on a curve.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Till the front is bald, or wont pass inspection.

With that said, I'm over 20K on a set of E3's now. Looking to get 25K, but I would replace them before I went on a long trip. Just for the security of having fresh rubber far from home.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Wearbar or sooner depending on upcoming trips. Not worth it to skimp when it comes to the 2 tiny contact patches that hold us up. (No comments from the darkside gallery :grin:)
+1 Never beyond the wearbar!!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I start shopping at the wear bars unless I'm going on a trip. Or maybe during the off season. I make sure I buy the stickyest tires I can find. So they are low mileage tires. Know a wing guy that will leave on a trip with cords showing. He likes to wait till cords show all the way around or threw the first layer of cords. He has never had a flat. I couldn't go there. But after nails and other road crud giving me flats, both rear and front, I don't worry as much about it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I start shopping at the wear bars unless I'm going on a trip. Or maybe during the off season. I make sure I buy the stickyest tires I can find. So they are low mileage tires. Know a wing guy that will leave on a trip with cords showing. He likes to wait till cords show all the way around or threw the first layer of cords. He has never had a flat. I couldn't go there. But after nails and other road crud giving me flats, both rear and front, I don't worry as much about it.
This guy must have angel sitting on his shoulder, must not like himself.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have never understood why people buy a US $30.000 motorcycle - but refuse to spend US $ 300.00 on tires, even if those same tires could be difference between a nasty accident and getting away with just a high pulse...

I always chenge tires after about 5 years, regardless of thread depth, wear and tear. The rubber compound starts to deteriorate and after a while it could be hard as a mallet.
I want sticky tires, soft as an eraser, cause I prefer to ride in the twisties. But if you prefer the highways clocking miles, go ahead and buy those tires that last the longest.

Riding until the cords are showing... an accident waiting to happen! :(

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Holly shit! I thought you were talking about if its round one or two. Round one goes pretty fast. Round two she's hollering y'all get off...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
About this low. 13.6K miles on original tire. Hopefully the new American Elite fares better. Have to go put it on now.

Looks like you got your money's worth out of that tire...and almost collected on the life insurance too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts