Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I'm waiting for my new road glide special to come in. Well I'm pretty positive I'm buying it. But I want 12 inch apes before I even ride it. My question is who has installed there own bars and wish they paid to have them done? I've read a lot and watched a lot of videos. Doesn't seem that bad. My dealer is trying to say 8 to 10 hrs at 95 something a hr. What is your recommendation ? Thanks

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Congrats on the New Glide.
I've put two different sets of apes on my 2012 Roadglide Custom and it wasn't too bad.
Depends on the manufacturer and how handy you are.
Personally I do all the repairs on my Glide myself.
I can't see paying that much to have a set of handlebars installed.
The original apes I had were 12" Outlaws by Wild 1 Chubbys.
The second set are Wild 1 Chubbys 14" Ape Hanger WO572 and they are great.
Make sure the 12" are the ones you want.
Best of luck.
Keep us posted on how you make out or if you need any assistance.
Mike U.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I just finished installing 16" apes on my '17. It's a piece of pie compared to the older models.

I'd definitely recommend doing it yourself. Especially if you're only going with 12" bars. You won't have to extend, or even reroute, any wiring or hydraulic lines. That'll be just an afternoon project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've done 5 sets of bars from 10" to 14" and all it takes is a little patience. Don't rush. Make sure you have every possible part before you start. These newer bikes are far easier than the older glides. Get a couple soft furniture pads to lay across your tank and take your time. You will be fine with as long as you have some basic mechanics skills.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hello guys. I'm waiting for my new road glide special to come in. Well I'm pretty positive I'm buying it. But I want 12 inch apes before I even ride it. My question is who has installed there own bars and wish they paid to have them done? I've read a lot and watched a lot of videos. Doesn't seem that bad. My dealer is trying to say 8 to 10 hrs at 95 something a hr. What is your recommendation ? Thanks
First recommendation. Find a new dealer. It's a 2 hour tops job even if you never did it before. Damn. Street glides at my dealer are 6 hours. And at least that's only 2 hours more than it should take. I had my dealer install mine only because it was dead winter and I store it there. They did it for 2 hours time. Because if they wanted the job that's all I was willing to pay. I did them on the cousins bike. 1 and a half tops. Start to finish. A little common sense and patience and your all done. You can do it yourself.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've installed four. A Road Glide is fairly simple and takes me about 2.5 hours. It's easier if you're particular about the type of bars you buy. It's easier to run wires through bars without really sharp bends.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have installed 3 sets of 12" apes on 15 and 17 RGS. Its a very easy job to do. The absolute hardest part is pulling the right side cables thru the bars and that's only if you install the meat hook type bars.
Just take your time. YouTube how to remove the speedo bezel and handle bars. You don't need to remove the ignition just remove the plastic chrome U shape piece under the ignition. You can do it and you will be
so satisfied and amazed at what you can do.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I've done 6 RG's and 9 SG's... typical bars on 15-17 RG at 14" bars and lower takes max of 2 hours... SG's with 14" and down.. about 4 hours.

That's if the stars are aligned correctly over my house

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I added heated grips to both my bikes internally wired. I never pay someone to do something I can, and have the time to do myself.

That said, since you know you want them see what kind of negotiating you can do if you haven't already penned out a deal with them.

If bikes are flying out the door at MSRP, you probably live in the wrong place to negotiate. Might need to find another dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. Maybe I will just try it myself. I think I can do it. And all the dealers here want mbrp. Is theta not the norm?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I've done 7 RG, 3in one day. Take your time pulling the wires thru on right side. I sprayed some windex on the wires and they slid right thru.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I own a RGU 2'17 whose stock handlebar is the 55800436 11.75" tall, 30.75" wide and 8.5" pullback. I am going to buy the Fat Ape one 55800548A 14.75", 33.75" wide and 9.25" pull-back.

I will installed myself. I have been watching a lot of videos found in google about how to do it.

1.- If you don't want to chang the clutch and brakelines for metal ones, just buy the swith wire extensions 69200034

2.- Watch as many videos as you can

3.- Get all the tools you need first

5.- Try to find out the torque for tigthing the main screws

4.- Take your time

5.- Make a contingency plan in case something goes wrong

I am going to do it myself before Xmas but with a Fat Ape (otherwise it would make no sense as the stock one is already almost 12".

Rregards,

Oscar

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just put the Factory 47 12? on my 17 RGS. I would not call myself mechanically inclined but I?m relatively competent. I watched a ton of videos. The hardest part was getting that damn throttle side wiring connectors through the corners. Had me wishing I?d bought apes instead of the more dramatic angled bars. I spent over two hours on threading the wires. The rest of the job was easy.

The real proof was in that first post instal ride. I wish I?d done it right away. It changed the complete character of the bike. It?s more nimble and comfortable because my elbows are up and out and I?m not trying to get back from the bars.

Checked 3 dealers here in the PNW all wanted 9+ hours labor. Can?t see it. Oh well. I got to know my bike a little more intimately and saved myself a grand

The

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you have any mechanical aptitude at all this is easy work! The difference maker is what type of bar you choose, sharp corners will be more difficult.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I never swapped out bars before and did it in about 90 minutes with road6 customs 11" holy rollers, internal wiring and everything went smooth. Saved a ridiculous amount for what Harley Charges.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I took one look and decided to take it to the dealer and left them F it up. And sure enough they did. Cruise control kept going full throttle with out warning. It seems the nicked some wires while pulling them through.. At least they fixed it, but it took about three leave it here days before they fixed it. The third time they were able to reproduce it, and refused to give me the bike back as it was unsafe. I had to agree. Works great now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts