Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I giot the 5 year, looks like I'm going to need it. Taking mine in for the second time in less than a year to the speed sensor.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've bought the ESP on several used bikes from the dealer since you really don't know the whole story no matter how thoroughly they've been checked out.
But for new bikes, I don't see the need for the ESP to overlap the factory warranty (unless I'm missing something). I'll wait til the standard 2 year coverage is almost up before I look into extending it. Who knows, by then I may be ready to trade for the new and improved(?) Road Glide.:cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Using that logic I'm guessing you don't have health or life insurance either? ;-)

In Mass you have to have Health Ins - state law - I have an acceptable plan to the state for about $400 / month (I'm a forced hypocrite ...) I drank too much Kool Aid as a kid ...

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I've bought the ESP on several used bikes from the dealer since you really don't know the whole story no matter how thoroughly they've been checked out.
But for new bikes, I don't see the need for the ESP to overlap the factory warranty (unless I'm missing something). I'll wait til the standard 2 year coverage is almost up before I look into extending it. Who knows, by then I may be ready to trade for the new and improved(?) Road Glide.:cool:
just be aware that even if you wait until your factory warranty is nearly done, that the esp date goes back to the in-service date of your bike. in other words, if you buy a 7 year esp, just before your factory 2 year expires, it still is only going to extend your warranty out for 5 years. however, if you buy the esp right away, the wheel and tire coverage begins immediately, and the trip interruption reimbursement begins immediately as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't buy it when I bought my 013, figured I didn't need (considering I've been riding my 85 TG up to this point & never broke down! Love those Evo's) but after reading all the horror stories here & after listening to the dealer when he was pushing the EW & looking at the warranty BS of what it costs to repair this thing I may change my mind! For me after laying out the hard earned bucks to buy the &*( thing in the 1st place its pretty hard to lay out the additional 2k or what ever to buy the EW!. If I have to much trouble with the new one I will dump it & never buy another HD again! Its a %&^ good thing I kept my old TG for this very reason!. I'm not anticipating any problems however I don't like the sound of the compensator bangin & clangin at only 900 miles so far!
I'll let you know in a couple of yrs!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I for one used to never buy any additional warranties. When I purchased my new 2010 I did get the ESP. Am I glad I did! After three years and 35000 miles I had used it for a few odds and ends things, new wheel and pulley bearings, ABS sensors, etc.. Not a whole lot..then WHAM! it hit . Took bike in for noise in top end and primary drive. Motor taken down and it had to be totally rebuilt. Only old parts retained are the transmission, engine cases and heads. EVERYTHING else inside motor was replaced and total cost to me is $50.00. Now I am sure this is not going to happen to everyone..but you spend your money and you take your chances. I saved somewhere around 3800.00 on the one major repair, not counting the other few times I used the ESP ( this is after deducting original purchase price of plan). After seeing and hearing the numerous problems others are having with the newer HD bikes, I for one cannot talk myself into NOT purchasing the plan as I do keep my bikes for several years and put a few miles on them. I still have coverage for 4 more years for "Just in Case" as so far the plan has more than paid for it's self and then some. Just my 2 cents worth and my story.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Over 30K now on my 2012 with no real problems. I did not buy the ESP. My drivetrain is stock. If I do have a bunch of major problems then I will fix them and my next bike will not be an H-D. I have ridden too many Japanese bikes over 50K miles with no real issues and am hopeful this bike will be as reliable as my many friends Electra Glides have been through many miles. I have no use for a breakdown prone bike. :cool: This is my first Harley and so far I do really like it. I can afford to fix the bike if needed, but I won't make a habit of doing so.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I won't own a Harley without a warranty. Used the extended warranty within one month of the factory one expiring. Then again two more times within three months and that's without road hazard ins. I really got my money's worth this time.
It"s like a side arm, I'd rather have it and never have to use it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
All you guys talking about waiting till near the end of the factory warranty and then buying the ESP to get the full term of it.......I've seen with cars where the ESP is as much as twice as much to buy it on a 2 year old car then a brand new car....so you might want to ask how much it will cost down the road compared to when it's brand new (and they're trying to sell you a bike)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
All you guys talking about waiting till near the end of the factory warranty and then buying the ESP to get the full term of it.......I've seen with cars where the ESP is as much as twice as much to buy it on a 2 year old car then a brand new car....so you might want to ask how much it will cost down the road compared to when it's brand new (and they're trying to sell you a bike)
If you don't buy the ESP when you buy your bike the list price is 100 dollars more if you buy it anytime before the original factory warranty runs out. You can still buy it after the factory warranty runs out up to 75k miles but list is another 100(200 total) and you have to have your bike inspected and there is a 30 day grace period before it kicks in.

The reason I say list is though most dealers sell it for the same price some sell the same policy for substantial discounts. I got mine from Benson in Muncie, In. and all I had to do to get the discount was inquire how much it was. I got 15% off, a t-shirt and one of those fancy lighted picture frames.

Whether you need it or not is a matter of personal opinion/choice but mine's come in handy already and I feel better having it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
ESP spent 9k on my 06 93000 miles (transferred to new owner with 3years left)
ESP spent 2k on my 10 73000 miles (transferred to new owner with 4 years left)
Esp was purchased and cancelled on the 12.

If the bike is not stock ESP will give you grief about repairs and may not pay.

My 12 was stage III'd from the dealer with 0 miles, blew at 16k, MoCo and the ESP was not easy to deal with. They did pay for the rental but did not want to pay to rebuild the engine when the Front Rod bearing failed. This was a fight.

I cancelled took the money and invested in the 113 build.

If your bike is stock and you intend on riding not a bad deal. Be warned the ESP folks can deny your claim even at stage 1.

One of the guys I rode with left his 11 CVO RG Ultra bone stock and had over 120k on the bike when he passed due to a heartattack last year. He was doing very well on the extended.

An expample of their philosophy is my rod bearing failed ~ split motor replace crank, but not pay for scored pistons and jugs. This was not fair in my book.

I had mine built the way it should have been built. 46k on the clock and 30k on the build so the warranty is non existant.

For a STOCK bike that is ridden great value. Just understand changing the pipes can cause them to deny your claim.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nope. Like the after market upgrades much better than the MoCo since they only push their market don't care for their cams on the new bikes just to name one. Neither use HD oil.
Although ride lots of miles but keep bike on top conditions.
Not for me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fully expect to get a lot of use from my 4 year warranty, although I was able to get it included at the time of purchase for nothing. I do have to pay $50 each time, but what else can you buy at a HD dealership for $50?

I'm already up to 26.4k miles now after 16 months of ownership, and I see at least an inner fairing in my future, I can't believe how faded and white mine is becoming, and all over too.

So far,no mechanical issues, although I wonder if my compensator sprocket is going.
plan on the replacement of your compensator after 30K, both chain tensioner & compensator started to get noisy @ 34K (2015) HD doesn;t what these parts to last to long ; /

·
Administrator
12,004 Posts
not true there , my comp and chain tensioner are pushing 80k with no issues , plenty others here as well .. A lot depends on crank run out .. I pulled my tensioner for about 5000 and replaced with the Hayden until last week when I did some clutch work , put the HD back in , Hayden wore more in 5k than the HD did for 75K ..

JtB

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have about 6 months left on my Factory Warranty and am thinking about doing the ESP. Dealership I bought it from promotes the forever warranty but that is only on powertrain and I think the repairs need to be done by them. Just a story I heard but don't believe because the underwriters are not he local dealership. All my service is done at the dealership right now.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I bought a 5 year esp last year from Discountesp to cover my 2009 FLTRSE3, they also threw in the a 5 year tire & wheel pkg as a promo. Still have 4 years left on it and have used it once to replace stator & regulator this year. Pay $50 just like Harleys that they sell. Cost was around $2100 as it’s an older Scoot

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I have about 6 months left on my Factory Warranty and am thinking about doing the ESP. Dealership I bought it from promotes the forever warranty but that is only on powertrain and I think the repairs need to be done by them. Just a story I heard but don't believe because the underwriters are not he local dealership. All my service is done at the dealership right now.
if you're thinking of getting the harley esp, no reason to wait until your factory warranty expires. the cost will be the same (or maybe cheaper now) and the coverage will still begin at the same time. which coincidently is the purchase date of your bike. yep, thats right. even though you waited for 2 years for your factory warranty to expire, the start date is still going to be the same as if you bought it on day one. the only difference is that those items that begin coverage immediately, ie. hotel lodging, rental, etc. will not be in effect until you purchase the esp. so you are missing out on some coverage by waiting.

course, i always recommend to have trip interruption insurance through your insurer. it's only like $17 per year and will cover hotel stays, food, towing if you break down 100 miles from home.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts