Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
owner's manual does not say 4 qts.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

now, you may be thinking of the section in the owner's manual on changing the oil when it says to add an initial fill of 4 qts, then to add enough to bring it to full.

also, remember to be careful as to how you phrase the question. capacity is not the same as oil change amount.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The owners manual says 4 quarts, but the service people at the dealer say 5 quarts.
Who is correct here?
the total capacity is 5 qts+ but you only need to add 4 at an oil change.
i normally add the 4 and ride it for a day or two and end up having to add 1/2 qt.

DO NOT CHECK OIL LEVEL WHEN COLD!!!
it's a dry sump engine, so you don't need to fill to the brim all the time
overfilling will not allow your crankcase to breathe and will puke oil out the air filter...

·
Premium Member
2018 Roadglide Special Wicked Red
374 Posts
the total capacity is 5 qts+ but you only need to add 4 at an oil change.
i normally add the 4 and ride it for a day or two and end up having to add 1/2 qt.

DO NOT CHECK OIL LEVEL WHEN COLD!!!
it's a dry sump engine, so you don't need to fill to the brim all the time
overfilling will not allow your crankcase to breathe and will puke oil out the air filter...
Nice, best explanation I've heard yet. Makes me feel better about the lever I keep mine at when I do a change! 👊

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I check mine cold, never an issue
congrats!
try checking before and after a ride and see if there's a difference. there is.

Page 140 of the Touring Models Owner's Manual:
"e. See Figure 67. Check oil level. The correct cold oil level
is midway (2) between the ADD QT (1) and FULL HOT (3) marks on the dipstick."

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I’m aware. I did read the manual
for those who didn't read the manual, it might be helpful to know since it's not like a car.

there is an amount of oil that will drain back into both the oil tank and the crankcase.

i was trying to explain the fact that it is not necessarily an accurate reading when cold and that it is better to check when hot. being a dry sump engine complicates the process to those unaware of the procedure. it was even more of an issue when oil pumps were external, like the evo engine. also, if someone is having a sumping issue this procedure would exacerbate the problem.

in an overfill situation it's no fun cleaning up after an intake that pukes oil out all over the bike.

sounds like you're competent enough to perform the process tho :)

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
It all depends on how much oil drains out when you change it. If there is oil in the crank sump and cam chest, it will not drain out. the amount varies scooter to scooter. Oil in the oil cooling parts and pieces and take a very long time to drain out if the scooter is cold..

On the M8, I generally change the oil with the motor cold. I just run it for a couple of minutes, up right, so it pumps the sump more or less clear, cut it off and drop the oil. Some time it takes 4 to fill it, sometimes 4 1/2 ish. There is no advantage to allowing the last drop of oil to drain out. It just causes the motor to take longer to purge out the air introduced during the oil change. Be sure to leave it a 1/2 qt down while its cold, then recheck it after its gets warmed up. And the full mark on the side-stand scale is real iffy. It depends on the lean angle of the scooter, and that varies from scooter to scooter. Actually it varies a lot since the MoCo went to one sized leg to fit everything.

Remember, the idea is not to get all of the oil out. The idea is to replace "most" of the oil before it wears out. And synthetic oil is good for 10K miles or more. And with no sulfur in it, it can stay in service for over a year. If you overrun the oil change interval, badly, then just drain it and refill with a couple of qt's. Run it until the motor is warm and drop that oil out. Its a dry sump oiling system, the motor only needs about a qt in the pan to oil itself. The additional oil is for cooling, and adverse situations, like when the sump is not being evacuated properly.

And if you do an oil change, and say you put 4.5 quarts in to fill it to the 1/2 quart low line, then a week later its a 1/2 quart over, then your motor is sumping. Some people will drain the sump on M8's with each oil change, measuring what comes out. That's not really needed, unless you suspect its sumping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thermodyne, as you replied to my other post today on the oil pan question, so do you fill the new oil filter with oil before installing and is that amount subtracted from the initial 4 quarts , in other words fill the oil filter with say 1/2 quart ( just estimated ) and then dump 3 1/2 quarts in the pan, ride it a couple days and check it hot and fill to desired amount. This will be my first oil change on a Harley. Also since I just got the bike and have no idea if it was sumping should I drain the crankcase just to check the total amount just for safety sake, thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fill the thing and try to keep it half to 3/4 up on the stick when warm!

Reactions: Ike Burns
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.