Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much fork oil is recommended when running the progressive 2" lowering kit? Progressive is closed for the night and I cant find anything online.

Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Monotube kit for 2010 is 5oz of 15w. Progressive has install PDF's on there website.. depends on lowered, stock height or drop in springs vs. monotubes...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the pdf it does not have anything about how much fluid to use. Progressive will be open in a few hours. I'll have to wait and give them a call.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I looked at the pdf it does not have anything about how much fluid to use. Progressive will be open in a few hours. I'll have to wait and give them a call.
Yes, it does. Mentions to use 5 oz. on the bottom of both pages 1 and 2. Here's what it says on page 2:

Pour 5 ounces of 20WT or Type H-D fluid in each fork, pausing to stroke the assembly to get the fluid into the outer fork slider. Failure to do this will cause the required amount of fluid to overflow (see figure 4). This fluid is just to lubricate moving parts and has no effect on the actual damping action of the sealed Monotube cartridge fork insert.

Here's the PDF
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/3081-009 LOW Mono-tube cart fork HD FLH-FLT Inst.pdf

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see the difference the doc you refenced is for the monotube kit. I am running the normal lowering kit (not the drop in kit) PN 10-1561. I called Progressive they said to run the normal amount called for by Harley. I was over flowing a bit last night when I was working on it. The tech suggested cycling the suspension few times and topping it of.

I will update this thread tonight just incase someone else has the same question and does a search.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I see the difference the doc you refenced is for the monotube kit. I am running the normal lowering kit (not the drop in kit) PN 10-1561. I called Progressive they said to run the normal amount called for by Harley. I was over flowing a bit last night when I was working on it. The tech suggested cycling the suspension few times and topping it of.

I will update this thread tonight just incase someone else has the same question and does a search.
Ah! That makes a huge difference - sorry, didn't mean to lead you astray. You definitely need more than 5 oz with a damper style fork. The oil for the monotube kit is for lubrication only.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Did you measure how much oil you took out?
That would be the best way to find out.
Manual says like 10.7 oz i believe. so probably anywhere around 9.5-11 oz. Just gotta make sure you got all of the old oil pumped out. Did you pump the front end when you were draining to get all the oil out. sometimes, air pockets will hold some of the oil from coming out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yes it was dry as a bone. They were fully disassembled and poder coated. I only got about 8 oz in last night and it ran over. I guess I should have cycled the suspension. I'll try that tonight.

I don't have a manual but I asked at the dealership the other day and was told 11.1 oz. When it ran over I was concerned maybe the 11.1 was the total for both forks.

I really need to by a manual...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine is an 07. I know I know. i'll brake down an buy one soon. I always do everything back wards. I owned my Sporty for three years, totally rewired it, chopped it up, changed the clutch, replaced the top end gaskets and a bunch of other stuff before buying a manual. Shortly after buying the manual I sold the bike and moved on to the Roadglide. I have always been handy with a wrench an was able to figure things out by studying it. Torque specs and capacities are where the manual comes in handy for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts